+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1-80, when to know when a dps is slacking

1-80, when to know when a dps is slacking

I was doing Maraudon on my rogue this morning. Had a warrior tank. I was lv 41, he was 44, and everyone else was 42 (2 locks and a druid). Nearly before the plant boss, he links achievement, and I'm in fourth. He tells me I'm slacking and to pick myself up. It then turned into a heated debate; in my side arguing that there's a level difference, I don't have fang of knives yet (so you can't compare my dps to the rain of fire happy locks) and that my gear may be different than his (late 30's gear, no brown since it's on a different server from my main). His argument is that the level wasn't that far off (I just leveled to 42 when he started complaining), which is weak because orange mobs have a higher chance to dodge my attacks or me missing.

Now, as a tank, I know what he means in terms of dps slacking. However, how do you know the difference in that level when a dps is slacking or when he's trying his best, but gear, level, and probably rotation gets in the way of maximum dps (I haven't touched my rogue in a while, so I'm using a rotation that I think works best)

Back during Vanilla and TBC, rogues were very competitive in DPS in sub level cap instances. Now, I have no idea how any rogue could hope to keep up with what my frost mage was doing as I levelled it. I think in Mara, I was pulling 1800 dps on trash pulls, because of Blizzard. Tank threat has been upped so much that any competent tank at the right level range can keep mobs glued to him well enough that the dps can just AoE like mad. Until you hit 80, you can't really AoE on a rogue, so you will be at a disadvantage. That said, when you get your thrash blade (if you're combat), your dps gap should narrow significantly.

haha, I know, not having fang of knives is a disadvantage (here's my toon's armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hoof&cn=Rancil . I would appreciate any advice, but please pm me those, since I want to keep this thread on topic)

My thing is, DPS means absolutely nothing if you can't coordinate your efforts effectively. If a toon does 6k DPS on a fight but dies to say something like FIRE, then that's no DPS. Maybe another DPS does 4.5k, but he doesn't die to fire, that's more DAMAGE DONE. Skill in mechanics and class will keep you on top of your game and you can be that "go-to" raider when a raid leader needs it.
    Goryn 80 Draenei Shaman (Elemental) <Knights of the Naaru>
    Drakus 80 Draenei Warrior (Fury) US/Emerald Dream

If you don't wipe because of those differences, then who cares? It's leveling time: classes are unbalanced most of times (and probably start to balance around 60lvl ), people are on different leves, not to mention gear differences.

+ Reply to Thread