+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help on priority stats for a warrrior tank...

Need help on priority stats for a warrrior tank...

So i have a couple questions. I recently started playing my prot warrior again but i have noticed a few things and i cant seem to remember a couple others.

Here's my wow-heroes link
    Link

I know that i need to start switching out my gems for epic ones but that's not a huge priority. I am hit capped or damn near close, i think i have a nice health pool and my avoidance stats are good as well. My issue that i am seeing is that i still take huge damage spikes and i am not sure why. Is it because im a warrior? On my paladin i don't take as big of spikes and its less geared than my warrior. Should i change my glyphs around or what? Just really unsure.

My second issue that i see i am having is keeping aggro off of the over eager dps, not sure why or when it all the sudden changed but i usually ask for the 2 second rule before the dps completely unload into the mobs. I tab target between mobs and throw a couple sunders down but they still end up easily peeling them off me. Instead of using HS as an aggro dump i use Cleave and am constantly doing TC and SW as much as possible to help increase dps.

My third question is what would be the next stat i should focus on and what would be the best way of going about it? I assume Expertise since i am now using a fairly fast weapon compared to my broken promise, and i don't want to parry haste the bosses.

I cant really think of anything else at this point but if theres needs to be some clarification on my part just ask for specifics and ill see what i can do. I enjoy what i do on this toon and i cant seem to feel right in any other role besides tanking with this toon, so i would like to be able to play this toon with the knowing that i am doing the best i can.

Just curious, are the problems you're having in 5mans or 10/25man raids?
    Last edited by GŁth; 01-28-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Typo.

You're gemmed a bit strange to be honest. I wouldn't bother focusing on strength, and hit or expertise. Any aggro issue you might have, might be because of a bad rotation. Can you describe in greater detail what you do? Also what glyphs are you using? Also I would take 3 points out of focused rage and put them in shield specialization. Also Glyph of block would help a lot, because shield slam and damage shield are all affected by block value.
    Last edited by Ediniidia; 01-28-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ediniidia View Post
    I would take 3 points out of focused rage and put them in shield specialization.
    That's more of a personal preference than it is required.

As of right now i am not really tanking raids, more of 5 mans. As for the gemming i was throwing a couple str gems in to help generate more threat. My spec has been the same for some time, so i would be willing to move some points around. Ill switch out that glyph for taunt, i was having issues with gluth resisting my taunt back in the day so i through that up. I wouldn't say i have a rotation but a priority system of whats not on CD. when i get home ill post my priorities a lil more.

After i use Sheild block i charge in, as i am charging in i do TC then back up so the other mobs buddle up a little more and do a shock wave on the initial target i throw devastate then a concussion blow, after tabing to the next target i do devistate a throw heroic strike down. once i have that cycle down on the mobs then i go to the original and beat on it with shield bash, revenge. Then i repeat the tab and devastate TC and shock wave when up.

Usually i only find Heroic Throw useful for casters (or guys that run away from me) and thus i keep it available.
    Anyway it's usually a priority system like (regarding single target):
    - Shield Slam
    - Revenge
    - Devastate

If you're glyphed for devastate, you can use devastate instead of revenge tbh.
    As you mentioned, concussion blow also helps a bit and I usually TC whenever it's possible. On groups I usually:
    - Charge
    - Activate shield block and use shield slam
    - Get in position for Thunder clap (sometimes you can't hit 'em all upon charge)
    - Devastate as I position myself for shockwave
    - Try to keep cleave/heroic strike always queued up (depending on situation and what not)
    - Tabbing thro targets to see threat also helps a lot (and an addon for nameplates with threat indicators - like Aloft)

Hope this helps ya out...
    Last edited by Kuraf; 01-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Just a couple points that might help you out. First off, a nice boost to your threat can come from using Vigilance on one of the top dps in your 5-man group. It can take a pull or two to figure out who is putting out the most threat, but then Vigilance can help you a lot. Second, spike damage can be mitigated using your cooldowns at the right times, shield block and the lavanthor talisman help a lot if you know when you have a lot of damage incoming. Also make sure you have demoralyzing shout up. Finally, you might save up some triumph for the glyph of indomitability which has nice armor and a excellent cooldown ability. Hope that helps!

P.S. - Sometimes the dps won't pay attention, but putting a raid icon like skull on your first target can help prevent the dps from pulling aggro on mobs you haven't put much threat on yet.

If you're tanking 5 man heroics, you may want to do a 5 / 15 / 51 spec for the Imp Cleave. I would use Devastate Cleave and Sunder armor as my glyphs, for heroics. You could exchange sunder armor out, alot of ppl dont like it. I only use it cuz it does more cleave damage. Personal Preference. You could use Vigilance glyph over sunder armor. If you think you're taking spike damage in a heroic, that could be because of avoidance. You really should just regem all 30 (or 24) stam and only throw in hybrid gems where you have a socket bonus of 9 or higher stam. and by hybrid i mean either 10 dodge 15stam (8dodge 12stam) if its red or 10 def and 15 stam (8 def 12 stam) if its yellow.

Enchants - 275 health to chest. 30stam 15 resil (10k honor pvp enchant) to shoulders, 18 stam or 240 armor to gloves. Blood draining on ur weapon instead of Accuracy. 22stam to boots.

Gems - Replace all your hit and str or whatever gems with 30 (or 24) stam. Any threat problems can be fixed with glyphs and talents. Make sure you're tab targeting and devastating (along with cleave) for the extra threat.

If you have glyph of devastate, it ends up doing more threat than everything but Shield Slam, so just spam devastate while Thunder Clap Shockwave or Shield slam are on CD

+ Reply to Thread