+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK v. Pally Tanking

DK v. Pally Tanking

Just a quick request for some advice. My pally is now at level 79 and when I hit 80 I intend to spec from Ret which I leveled with to Protection for tanking (already have the dual spec for Holy and some gear - 13k mana unbuffed - I can't believe as a tank at heart I'm excited about unbuffed mana...oh well). Anyway, I've tanked for all of WOLK as a DK - how different will tanking as a pally be? Am I going to be able to port some of my tanking knowledge as a DK to tanking as a Pally? Or are they so different, that the learning curve will be like starting to tank all over again? Anyone who's tanked as both, any tips on making the transition less painful?

Thanks all.

Well, from my limited experience dabbling with DK tanking after being a warrior, I've found that while the mechanics are a little different, the basic core knowledge is the same, and that's what makes or breaks a tank. You already know what threat is, different strategies for survivability, etc. It's just figuring out which moves do what. I've found, in the few things that I've tanked with my DK, the transition from Warrior to DK to be really not that hard. I don't see why a paladin would be any different. The fact that you know how to tank on any class means you know how to tank. It will just be a matter of remembering what moves you have, and maybe seeing which ones generate more threat and using CD's a little differently. The only thing you'll miss is Death Grip. ;-)

As Eravian said, the basics are the same.

Its learning and getting used to the abilities of a Pally vs DK and that mana pool.

Personally I found tanking on a DK to be way easier than a Pally, since technically a DK tank is a DK dps wearing tank gear and spec for talents to help them survive instead of do more damage, since regardless of being dps or tank, a DK of Frost, Blood, or Unholy specs tends to use the same attacks.

Ret and Prot on a Paladin are vastly different as far as powers go.

The paladin threat generation and cooldown usage are very laidback in comparison. None of our routinely abilities are reactive, and you don't have two usable cooldowns.
    The threat generation will be a fixed rotation, which you'll master so you can deviate to adapt to stuff like new mobs. There's no difference in the rotation between single target and aoe.
    You will have, instead, a few minor cooldowns you'll always want up: Holy Shield and Sacred Shield. HS is part of the threat rotation, so it'll be rather mindless. Sacred shield is only used if no holy pally is shielding you.

Oh, and you'll use Divine Plea a lot. It's basically supposed to be up 100% of a fight.
    You will miss death grip a lot, but avenger's shield and smart usage of HoR/Exorcism/Holy Wrath will make up for it.

overall, your challenge will be adapting to the style of the class. The interaction with the world is the same.

Thanks, for all the replies. No cooldowns, that's kind of funky and will take some getting used to.

1.3 million from 80 and I've started putting a tank set together, healed HoS this morning and was so psyched that I picked up http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44373. Haven't had those in a long, long time. The gear grind may actually be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    The gear grind may actually be fun.
    I've always enjoyed the "challenge" of trying to gear up as quickly as possible once a toon hits the level cap. It's kind of like trying to fit a jigsaw puzzle together with a time limit imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    I've always enjoyed the "challenge" of trying to gear up as quickly as possible once a toon hits the level cap. It's kind of like trying to fit a jigsaw puzzle together with a time limit imposed.
    It is like a puzzle. With the patterns on my BS toon and my JC toon, if I had about 100 titansteel bars and 16 dragon's eye readily available; I'd have a pretty awesome start to my gearing for both Holy and Protection. Must resist urge to overpay for Titansteel and blow through all my gold

+ Reply to Thread