+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glyph of Icy Touch for threat generation?

Glyph of Icy Touch for threat generation?

With the changes to the Glyph of Icy Touch recently it has me considering it as a filler glyph for extra threat generation.

I have Frost Fever up 100% of time with Glyph of Howling Blast.

Has anyone been using this Glyph or done the math to see if it's worth it?

I have been considering the following:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EZu...fudAo0x:TasM0V

Thanks in advance for any information provided!!

There are lots of very decent major glyphs for tanking, but this one strikes me as more of a Frost DPS glyph.

Looking at your glyphs, I'd replace blood tap with pestilence, and the icy touch glyph with frost strike, rune strike or dark command, depending on if you are in raids (dark command becomes more important in taunt tag fights) and your specific play style.

For threat on a single target, nothing beats the rune strike glyph.

EDIT:

Looking at your talents, you are DW frost but have neither chill of the grave or scent of blood. If you are throwing out as many rune strikes as you can, you'll be RP starved. YOu should seriously consider getting cotg or sob.

This would work better. Same spec but with that one point in RP Mastery and Deathchill moved to SoB 2/3.

I am DW and I currently do have SoB.

I never use all the RP. I figured that I might give Runic Power Mastery a try because SoB isn't doing as much as it used to with Icecrown Radiance. With this setup I can dump two Frost Strikes and still have enough for Mind Freeze or Rune Strike.

If I find myself RP starved I will probably grab SoB again and drop some points from Acclimation.

I never had Agro issues before, but lately with DPS going up with new gear I am looking for ways to reduce the amount of time I lose agro in a raid.

I agree Rune Strike glyph is very nice single target but I never lose agro single target, hence the reason I was considering Glyph of Icy Touch.

I just get the feeling with Icecrown Radiance playstyle has shifted a little. Runestrikes go off less, Scent of Blood isn't active as much, and my runestrike glyph isn't as good as it was.. I'm just looking for ways to adjust until I get all the new gear I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    This would work better. Same spec but with that one point in RP Mastery and Deathchill moved to SoB 2/3.
    I might give that a try, I had considered that route also.

I just need to re-spec and trying to think through my play-style and deficiencies. I didn't find Hungering Cold useful for raiding, going to try acclimation this time

If SoB isn't giving you the returns you would like, you could instead put the two points in CotG and see if that works better for you.

Does anyone have the link to the Threat Values for all DK abilities anymore? I can't find it using search on Tankspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Evassara View Post
    Does anyone have the link to the Threat Values for all DK abilities anymore? I can't find it using search on Tankspot.
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-threat-values

To the original poster Glyph of Icy Touch has become exclusively a glyph for Unholy DPS for me, *maybe* Unholy tanking if you were trying to stress aoe threat, but probably not.

For Frost tanking usually my choice threat glyphs are: OB, RS, and FS.

For lesser geared tanks interested in survival, Unbreakable Armor can be nice, and some folk like the utility of HB glyph (though I wouldn't strictly call it a threat glyph it can adjust the pacing of your threat).

Yes, Frost Fever is up all the time, *but* check a damage meter or log to see just how much it is really contributing to your overall threat. Say your Frost Fever were ~8% of your total damage, it would probably be closer to 6% of your total threat, so a 20% increase in that is only about a 1.2% increase in total threat. Compare that to Rune Strike or Obliterate at around 20-25% of your threat. They are worth 15% and 20% increases in your threat from those abilities respectively, or if they were each 20% of total threat, those glyphs would be worth a 3% and 4% increase respectively.

FS is a little less direct, but it allows you to use FS a little more freely without starving yourself out of RS uses (which are key threat and usually the priority spending on your RP). I'd especially recommend that if you don't have CotG or SoB.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I tried zero points in SoB or CoTG and it sucked, I was indeed starved for Runic Power.

I very rarely saw Acclimation proccing, so I readjusted my spec to one that is more traditional.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...sara&gn=Virtue

I'm currently running glyphs of HB, OB, and UA. I feel like HB and OB are important to the way I play so I'll have to make a decision on RS or FS. I'm thinking RS because I'm dual wield and RS generates more threat than FS if I remember correctly.

I agree with your assessment Satorri but RS and FS will only help with Single Target agro which I never have a problem with.

It's when a boomkin, shadow priest, or mage manage to peel one mob off when using AoE. It doesn't happen often but I'd like to decrease when it does happen.

I don't want them to hesitate going all out and perhaps supplying the dps the raid needs because they are afraid of pulling agro.

Are there any other options to increasing AoE threat at this point for Frost? I know deathchill can provide some snap agro at the beginning of a fight, but the glyph of death and decay seems like a complete waste.

Thanks Cabar, I appreciate it. Time to save that link

I have 2 tanking specs on my DK, both 2H frost. I gave up on the glyph of IT when they took the extra RP off it and switched it for 3/3 SoB for single target.

On one focused on raid MT'ing, I use Glyphed OB, RS, and FS.

On my other spec focused on AOE/OT'ing, I use Glyphed D&D, Pest, and HB. The glyph is a huge increase in threat, and if you have 3/3 in morbidity you can keep it down 100% of the time. Between D&D, HB, and pest/BB, I never lose AOE aggro to aoeing mages, boomies, or huntards.

Keep in mind both these specs are built around the way I play and they work very well - for me. No guarantee that it's going to carry into someone else's playstyle - and most DK's won't keep 2 tank specs at all times. I do.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

+ Reply to Thread