+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank team in raid

Tank team in raid

Hey all.

This is my first thread, so i will try the best as i can.

First of all, many thanks to all the user of Tankspot, And a big thanks to the tema Tankspot. For making one of the best sites about wow.

But here it goes....

I have read a lot on Tankspot, and also on othere site. And very often ppl a having focus, on one tank at a time. Like verly, verly many, is having a debat, "Warrior Vs pala", "DK Vs pala", etc. Some almost, writing, I am a pala and it is a fact, that we are the best. And dk such.
    If u dont have a pala u can the use a warrior. And forget all about the druid. (Hope u dont misunderstand me, But i think, it often looks like that. Maybe i am wrong)

But raids are about Tema work. All in the raid are importen. But i will start whit the tanks.

So which Tank teams a u using when, way and how? Is it a combo, solo tanking, What do u use for 10 and what for 25 men raids. Are u using tanks depent on which healer that a showing up etc. etc.

Our tank team varies from 2 warriors, 1 pally; to 3 warriors and recently its been 2 warriors and one DK - in 25man, in 10man offnights it's normally a warrior with a druid/dk backup (because our ferals can tank 25man), or whoever is online and bored

The 3 warrior team was no doubt far from optimal but we got our progress kills on Fester and Rot with using 2 out of the 3 with the other going DPS. Most important for me when it comes to tanks teams is that you work together, know each others strengths and weaknesses and be good at guessing what the other tanks are going to do when things go wrong
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Thanks for the answer.

A u using thoes tanks, cos it is the only online or that have sign up for the raid. Cos maybe u have othere tanks in u guild. But thoes just, not showing up. Or is it gear, time of playing etc.

At the start of WOTLK we had 2 warriors and 1 paladin. It was far from ideal because 2 warriors was a bad idea. At many moments one tank shines for a specific fight compared to another. You are right to say that the tanks in your guild form a team, and you want that team to be balanced.
    Somewhere in Ulduar we switched to 1 warrior, 1 dk and 1 paladin, with both the paladin and the dk having a very viable dps spec and gear. Usually it's warrior+dk or warrior+paladin tanking and it works very well for us.
    I (the warrior) almost never dps, but that's just cause I don't really like it, while the dk and the paladin likes to switch around now and then. Sometimes the decision of who dpses (dk or paladin) is dependent of a missing buff in the raid.

We have several dps with offspec tank gear, 2 feral druids, 2 dk's and 2 warriors can all tank whenever needed in various degree of gear, but we rarely use them in 25-man raids, they are usually used in 10-man runs.

All our 3 tanks show up to every raid, so we don't really use signups for it. Our decision on who tanks what is usually random because all 3 have the same level of gear and skill, but we rarely switch tasks on sepcific boss between resets, once it's set it usually stays to avoid having to relearn something.

We've got a 5 man tank team for 25 man raiding. So we have acces to all classes, and even have 2 warriors in that tank team. We generally mix and match letting as many people learn specific roles. Odd as it may sound we rarely give someone an exclusive role, based on class specific abilities. We have 5 great tanks and we're there to get the job done, who tanks what or swaps to dps or whatever generally doesn't matter that much.

It's all about creating that working relationship and you can see who's been tanking alongside whom of the team. I seriously know when my druid friend will charge, I know when to start running out because all the aoe mobs are pulled of me, I know when to guard the back or who might miss a runner pending on mood/shape you name it. It's odd but that's how it works. That's why I am grateful Seventh Flight has always had a tank team and not a MT/OT structure for as long as I was part of them.
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

There is many, many good things that a comming up, in this thread. And i hope more will come. And i just hope it can have some kind of infection on upcomming guides on Tankspot.

For our 10 man currently we use a Paladin and Warrior. I'd like to get more in for 25's... Ideally one from each class, equally geared.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

My guilds current "Tank Team" is a Warrior, Paladin, and DK(myself).

we work very well together and have the ability to chain pull 25man raids. we all know when to taunt for what and how eachothers CDs work, in the way we know who should tank which boss and do which other tanking roles for each specific fight. atm, im the only tank that usually switches to DPS spec because my offspec outgears the warriors by far and the pally has holy as his offspec.

when it comes down to tanking and who does what im usually the MT if u can call it that for fights which need CD rotations, where DKs have the best and most viable CDs imo. Our 3 tanks are roughly about the same gear lvl with the warrior at ~57k hp raid buffed, DK(me) at ~54k hp raid buffed, and pally ~53k hp raid buffed. Out of the 3 tanks i have the most avoidance since i dont stack straight stam, the warrior obviously has the most health but gets hit the hardest, and the pally is just very well rounded and great for AoE type encounters, and having his AD is a great talent for hard hitting bosses.

Bring the player, not the class.

We usually try to mix tank types because it just seems to work best. We mostly do 10-mans, and just about any tank class combination you can think of, we've done, and it works fine.

In the end though, even if they are the same class, you just need two decent tank players and you are good to go. Never pass up someone who is attentive and skilled at tanking "because he's a [insert_class_here]".

While Diversity is important and beneficial, you run with who you have. The most experienced, skilled, geared, and established tanks in the guild.

Ours has x2 Warriors (one me) and a Paladin. We also have a Druid who normally DPS's but is a capable tank if one of the 3 main tanks cant make it.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Our tanking lineup for this season is...

Myself Pwnanapuddin Frost DW/Blood2h, feral kitty who only turns bear because festergut makes out warriors bossfewd. 2x Prot warriors both with dps offspecs or geared healer alt as the case may be, and another frost2h/blood2h DK.
    The Pwnstar Puddin, Now in a Fun Sized Goblin Shell.

We're generally a Warrior, a Paladin, and a Druid. Seems to work pretty well. I as the warrior pretty much just tank. If I'm needed for a different role, I switch to my priest or rogue. The paladin has a healing offspec, and performs as well as any other healer. The druid has a dps offspec, and performs as well as any other dpser. Because of this, we have a very high degree of flexibility in our raiding tank team. I'm the least flexible part, but people generally prefer me to tank anyway.

Our setup at the beginning of ToC was Warrior/Druid/Paladin (me). But our druid tank had to take a break so for the remainder of ToC and ICC we run Paladin/Paladin/Warrior. We also have two DK's with a viable tanking set, a druid, another warrior and paladin if need be. I normally tank just about every fight and our warrior/other paladin alternate dpsing.

Our guild have 6 Main Tanks - these are priority tanks in the guild that have allways been main spec tanks throughout our journey from Vanilla - TBC - WoTLK.

We have :

1 Prot warrior
    2 Pallies
    1 Druid
    2 DK

Whilst we favour the Prot Warrior / Pally / Druid combination for 25 man and progression encounters in 10 man it can be any combination of all 6 (although we prefer to split the DK and Pallies to pair with one of the other classes)

This ensures we have the best spread of buffs/debuffs and mobility/variety in the raid.

All are capable and all have comparable gear.

In addition now in the land of easy T9 - we have lots of Main players who have alt spec or alts with decent gear, so we generally never have a shortage.

We dont have any real preference for which tank tanks what (except on say Rotface where we have found it just easier to use a pally or dk rather than a prot warrior for the slime).

Each have their benefits and their downfalls. We simply have the flexibilty to work with it.

in building a tank team you need to consider variety and flexibiltiy, rotating the team to keep everyone involved and maximising the benefits to the raid. All of our tanks have been in the guild for a few years so the healers know them, know how to work with them and the DPS can work much better when they know how each tank will react to the Oops aggro or the Help get it off me moment.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

For our 10 man we use a Druid (Me) and a Paladin. As for our 25 man, we add a warrior the team.

We did it like this after talking to our healer. They said that the warrior was harder to heal. Might be more of a player than a class problem.
    Anyway, we have now develop a good coordination that most of the time we do not mark and we pick all our target without talking and all.

Spirithooff / Alexstrasza / US

Our 25 man tank team is DK/Warrior/Pally(me). We make tank decisions on a per-encounter basis - I tank Marrowgar and defend our ship. I don't have dps gear so I tank Sarfang with either the DK or the Warrior. We pretty much just wade into trash fights and deal with any ensuing chaos.

The DK/Warrior tank our "elite" ten man group and my Warrior alt tanks another ten man group with another Warrior. Despite having inferior gear, and no pally buffs (just drums) my ten man group is only one boss behind our "elite" group. My pally will tank pick up ten mans (along with a variety of alt tanks) for the rest of the guild.

Skill and gear make a hell of a lot more difference than the class.

+ Reply to Thread