+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a good rundown.

Need a good rundown.

-Please Delete Thread-
    Last edited by Zeq; 01-28-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Gimme an armory. Not to rip into her, I promise we're nice around here.

Well, from what you provided...
    The spec is good. 3 points in emp. renew are arguable, the actual boost this provides to HPS is minimal at best, putting 2 of these points into emp. healing would likely provide a bigger boost to HPS while keeping 1 point in emp. renew to keep the proc chances.

Improved Healing by itself is stupid. You'd have to max out Divine Fury, Improved Healing AND Empowered Healing to make that worthwhile, and wasting 13 points on something you'll barely touch as a raid healer is not a good choice. If she's apping to a 25 man/hard mode guild as holy priest and their main priest is telling her to spec for gheal, that priest deserves a good butt kicking.

Crit crit crit... 22% completely unbuffed is a good number to aim for as priest, it's pretty easy to keep it around there too. I would NOT go above 22% (that already includes the talent holy specialization) unless you just got unlucky with gear or are waiting for a better piece with haste on it. Past 22% haste is almost always the better choice. A holy priest should never go oom or rely on innervates or mana tide. Especially on current content. We're not even doing hard modes yet, no priest has business going oom atm. Int and Spirit exist for a reason.

Body and Soul DOES have uses, but they're so limited for a holy priest that I'd leave it up to personal preference whether to spec it or not. If you run with a disc priest at all you probably won't find enough use for it to warrant spending 2 points.

Edit: Gonna take a look at their armories after I mash the potatoes on the stove.

I must say, you were the last person I would expect a reply from haha. Not saying its bad or anything, but it's just really cool :]

Things Bubblejoo needs to rethink:
    -Glyphs (Holy spec without CoH glyph? Fail.)
    -Lightwell
    -Divine Fury/Imp. Healing
    -Seer's Eyes of Zul
    -High Crit
    -Professions

Things your GF needs to rethink:
    I don't see anything bad with her except for what I've already mentioned.

Things Bubblejoo needs to rethink:
    -Glyphs (Holy spec without CoH glyph? Fail.)
    -Lightwell
    -Divine Fury/Imp. Healing
    -Seer's Eyes of Zul
    -High Crit
    -Professions

I have this mod called ease drop that shows what heals land and how much they heal for. I found with the glyph that rarely 6 coh where landing and i find very frequently not all 5 coh land. Usually I get 4 to land or so . That is why i do not spec into that glyph.
    Second i think greater heal is a waste of time but our gm was a holy priest in bc and somehow he thinks priest mechanics still apply now. The reason my crit is so high just happens to be the way my gear landed. I dropped herbalism to level JC. My priest wasn't originally intended to be my main. Light well has been effective in our guild because our tanks and ranged actually use it. It ticks for about 3-5k currently. Our tanks use it threw beasts in 25 togc our ranged use it when they get the frost debuff in anub and when they get the connector beams in Princess. I find it useful in 10 mans when we roll 2 healers. I dont condone the use of it however if our guild uses it ill supply it at the request of the guild. The reason i run seer' s eye of azul was my spirit was exceptionally low in my gear transitioning from 8.5 to 9 and I stopped running a darkmoon card. At that time i was stacking int. When i went into heroic Togc I was having alot of mana issues. Since i made the switch I can focus more on healing and not reserving my mana pool. If it changes me from oomjoo to bubblejoo i think its safe to say its working for me.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/browse...43338#calendar
    Here is a copy of the wow meters that our guild runs consistently. Feel free to take a look.
    Last edited by bubblejoo; 01-28-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Aliena is totally replying to you. Right now.

If you find that CoH doesn't hit enough targets, you're not targeting the right person to use it on. Middle of a melee pile, middle of a ranged pile, or middle of a spread out ranged circle will yield the best (6 hit) results.

I very much hope for Cataclysm improvements to Greater Heal, but it finds little use outside of 10 mans right now. Speccing into it when primarily doing 25m/25m hard mode content is a waste. Arguably spell warding isn't THAT much better, but improved healing is a clear waste.

If your raid actually uses Lightwell, it's worth putting a point in. However, the way you describe it they very rarely actually use it. WMO isn't currently loading so I can't analyze how much of your healing on an average fight is Lightwell, but somehow I have trouble imagining it'd be more than ~0.5%, which means there'd be more useful places to put that point in. If you have proof of the contrary, I'd love to see it. Personally, I've yet to encounter people that actually make good use of Lightwell.

Spellpower/Spirit gems would be a better choice for you in blue sockets at this gear level and shouldn't have a big impact on your mana pool.

I started out healing in BC as a resto shaman and i cleared all the content available. I developed a healing style based off a healing priest who was my GM at that time. His philosophy was if your not oom at the end of the encounter then u didn't do it right. Now playing a spirit based class versus mp5 class has been a more rough transition for me and also working with new healers that have a much more significant casual back ground than i have raiding has made it very frustrating. I went casual because I decided that after dedicating 5 years of my life to a video game it was time to make a change. I find myself burning threw my mana pool much more because I find myself compensating for lack of experience. Now dont misunderstand me. We have some very impressive healers in our guild but they really have had issues on learning to work together. Our server also has very geared people who are completely dependent upon gearscore and not skill .So we get many apps to our guild with good gear and lack of skill so we find ourselves with alot of turnover that sets us back.
    The reason why I think I am an asset to our guild is because no matter the situation I will come threw wether I play holy or disc. Lightwell was originally requested by our tanks because Beasts in togc was a huge cock block for our guild. Its most definately not 10% of my healing cause then i would be doing something very wrong. However it provides an option for our raiders to take control and be aware of there own HP. Thus raising raid awareness. I know there are better choices but as long as they use it I will keep putting it down. As far as the coh goes we run more range heavy then melee heavy and our healers move around our range rather then our range moving around our healers. I find myself usually getting forced to 1 side of the room or the other and most encounters require ranged and melee to split up. I prefer to use coh on melee when I have the oppurtunity but we have a very good resto shaman that cleans up our melee really nicely. So i find myself more range healing.
    I also was used to a raid healing setup where druids where primarily raid healers and priest where secondary raid healers doing emergency heals. ( flashing low targets, rolling pom and renew around the raid, stacking serendipity to prayer when needed. Our druids have alot to progress threw as we found out very harshly on Queen the other night. So currently at this point my priest is set up the way that i find most benificial for our current setup in guild. I am always changing around switching up my glyphs. Im running renew coh and poh for queen guardian spirit for fights like beasts, and festergut to help with tank cd management.
    On a completely different note Idk if u have had the opportunity to play around with Trama (weapon) I find that it seems to work extremely well with renew but im having a lot less result with flash. I was wondering if there was other priests that where noticing the same thing.

Bubbs

Btw : sorry about terrible grammar and spelling. I went threw a pretty rough surgery today and I just dont have the energy to care

I too have started gemming for spirit and most of the time I'm running as Disc.
    The matter of the fact is that raid buffed due to insane int levels spirit is coming closer to mp5 regarding itemization points. Assuming 100% FSR. And it scales.
    I'm not sure I would gem something that doesn't have +spell power on it since I'm lacking in that department(stoopid drops pushing too much +haste down my throat) but 2.7k spell power unbuffed as Disc seems plenty to me.

I haven't yet dared getting rid of the FH glyph yet.

Especially if you share your gear between Disc and Holy then you have to be careful about the stuff you gem. I've found that Holy is very vulnerable to mana problems. Especially when you are used to Disc healing. With the same gear fully raid buffed the mana pool difference between those two is 4-5k mana which is huge.

I wouldn't call Lightwell a wasted talent point. IMHO Desperate Prayer is. IMHO. YMMV. In my Disc Spec I prefer having that talent point in Absolution.
    In the Holy Spec Renew is a matter of taste. Lightwell is a matter of how your raid works. Blessed Resilience doesn't offer too much bang per buck in a PvE setting but I'm assuming you do some PvP. Depending on how you heal +3% heal overall could beat +20% healing bonus for what boils down to FH. That depends of course how this talent is exactly applied. It seems to work for you and I don't see any glaring errors to be honest.
    I have to agree that in 5man settings you will have a problem of hitting 6 targets with CoH. Fights tend to require the raid to be very spread out. You could argue about the overall impact of another target being hit by CoH but I think it is very situational and in the current content there are many fights that don't really support it. Glyph of Prayer of Healing also depends on how you heal your raid group. If you send a PoH to one group and then to another it is not very unlikely that the HoT will top people off. How useful it is depends on what other healers you bring. If you don't run OOM then Glyph of FH is not necessarily needed. If you prefer GH and you can make it work then more power to you. But I think I would rather put a point from Test of Faith ore healing prayers into Divine Fury. But that also is a matter of taste, your healing assignment and what other healers you brought.

Ever since I've run into a Disc priest who didn't spec into PI, PS, Improved FH and never cast a shield on anybody after the pull I have to say that these little deviations from the cookie cutter builds hardly have a huge impact. You may get some throughput by speccing differently. But I suspect that this would be in the low single digit percentages.

I love the Glyph of Guardian Spirit. Best Holy glyph evar.

EDIT:
    Took too much time typing my take on things.
    Yes I think your spec and glyphing reflects the need of your raid. Obviously quite a bit of thinking has gone into it.
    Buuut back in Classic we preferred that nobody died and we still had as much mana as possible. That wasn't a sign of slacking but thinking ahead because you could burn through all your mana in no time when the sh*t hit the fan.
    *shudder*
    ...lava packs...
    And I love slightly off specs. In Classic I was the poor sod who had to single target buff divine spirit anyone with mana. The use was propably negligible but I didn't give up anythig useful i the holy tree.
    Last edited by Mačl; 01-28-2010 at 02:52 AM.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

TL;DR
    With the cookie cutter build you will always be on the safe side. If you deviate from it and you know what you are doing you should also be fine.
    As long as you remember that itemization and the tricky encounters are always changing and you should always be ready to adapt.

EDIT:
    Not yet used to the new forum.

I love duel specing between disc and holy because i love both specs very much . Because im a belf i ran straight Int gems but for a while i was very much so stuck being holy and thats when i switched to Haste gems. I got raped so hard on my mana and all in all i wasnt showing a healing increase because i spent alot more time regining. Now i know that the current content that is released will be much more benificial to have more haste and i envy the priests with 700 haste I feel confident that i could stack more spellpower gems but raid buffed im running almost 3500 Spellpower so i really dont feel insecure in that department. I would like more haste and i feel that our loot council has been very generous in assisting me to switching that gear over. Im planning at this point to run all of my dragon eyes haste to give me a reasonable amount of haste without loosing much stats. I feel more Intellect is more then satisfactory atm and while raid buffed I have almost a 30k mana pool as holy. I think my spirit is a decent level at this time but because i spec over to disc alot i really dont want to stack straight spirit gems. I would recommend if you are a belf and dance between holy and disc to stack int. If your holy Im a huge fan of spower and spirit and spellpower int but if you find yourself ooming alot like i was int and spirit work really well. If i was only disc i would run straight spellpower. Im sure other priests will suggest other options.
    I run the 3% overall healing and i have ran without it. I like this talent because it doesnt care what spell i use so no matter the fight that talent will always be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblejoo View Post
    I started out healing in BC as a resto shaman and i cleared all the content available. I developed a healing style based off a healing priest who was my GM at that time. His philosophy was if your not oom at the end of the encounter then u didn't do it right. Now playing a spirit based class versus mp5 class has been a more rough transition for me and also working with new healers that have a much more significant casual back ground than i have raiding has made it very frustrating. I went casual because I decided that after dedicating 5 years of my life to a video game it was time to make a change. I find myself burning threw my mana pool much more because I find myself compensating for lack of experience. Now dont misunderstand me. We have some very impressive healers in our guild but they really have had issues on learning to work together. Our server also has very geared people who are completely dependent upon gearscore and not skill .So we get many apps to our guild with good gear and lack of skill so we find ourselves with alot of turnover that sets us back.
    The reason why I think I am an asset to our guild is because no matter the situation I will come threw wether I play holy or disc. Lightwell was originally requested by our tanks because Beasts in togc was a huge cock block for our guild. Its most definately not 10% of my healing cause then i would be doing something very wrong. However it provides an option for our raiders to take control and be aware of there own HP. Thus raising raid awareness. I know there are better choices but as long as they use it I will keep putting it down. As far as the coh goes we run more range heavy then melee heavy and our healers move around our range rather then our range moving around our healers. I find myself usually getting forced to 1 side of the room or the other and most encounters require ranged and melee to split up. I prefer to use coh on melee when I have the oppurtunity but we have a very good resto shaman that cleans up our melee really nicely. So i find myself more range healing.
    I also was used to a raid healing setup where druids where primarily raid healers and priest where secondary raid healers doing emergency heals. ( flashing low targets, rolling pom and renew around the raid, stacking serendipity to prayer when needed. Our druids have alot to progress threw as we found out very harshly on Queen the other night. So currently at this point my priest is set up the way that i find most benificial for our current setup in guild. I am always changing around switching up my glyphs. Im running renew coh and poh for queen guardian spirit for fights like beasts, and festergut to help with tank cd management.
    On a completely different note Idk if u have had the opportunity to play around with Trama (weapon) I find that it seems to work extremely well with renew but im having a lot less result with flash. I was wondering if there was other priests that where noticing the same thing.

Bubbs

Btw : sorry about terrible grammar and spelling. I went threw a pretty rough surgery today and I just dont have the energy to care

I actually just looked at your Lana'thel meters. Your PoH is doing way too much effective healing which I'm fairly certain is cause your druids have it all wrong. Their Lana'thel healing should look something like ~70% Rejuv, 20% WG, 10% everything else. Their meters stray very, very far from that. Yours should look something like ~30% PoM, 30% CoH, 20%PoH, 20% everything else. Roundabout, but that's how to get the most bang for your buck. As mentioned though, this largely seems to be the fault of your druids.

Y'know, whatever works for you works for you, but mathematically Lightwell doesn't do a thing for ya. It might make people pay more attention - if you're very lucky, usually it just sits in a corner looking pretty - but really, it's not your job to make other people play better. I'd rather spend that point improving my own play. If your guild requests it, that's another matter and while it doesn't seem the smartest thing on the planet, some things just work for some guilds.

The CoH thing honestly I can't see. It's really hard to mess up CoH. It's a smart heal, all you gotta do is find the middle person in a pile of people, and it's got an 18 yard range. ESPECIALLY on Lana'thel it's a hugely useful spell.

As far as priests and druids are concerned - if druids do their job right, they're basically raid healing bots. But what they rely on is HoTs, which are INCREDIBLY useful but don't provide a big healing spike, which is where holy priests come in. We can't sustain the consistent tiny heals in the same fashion druids do, but we can provide big group heals. That's the main reason I don't try to be a renew bot. Renew is great at sniping heals and if properly specced and arguably glyphed it's a good raid healing tool - but why try to be something we're not, raids benefit a lot more from complimentary direct group heals along with druid HoTs.

Don't take this to mean Renew sucks, I do find myself using it almost every encounter, but it doesn't replace all our other tools.

I do like that you kept your 2pc T9, a lot of people underestimate the value of using PoM, and especially using PoM on cooldown.

Trauma - my druid picked it up today, I have no use for it on my priest as I'll be running Val'anyr til heroic ICC, but I'll be playing around with it to see how I like it on my druid. It IS said to be a druid weapon though, so you might be right in saying that it works a lot better with HoTs.

From what I can tell from your replies you definitely put thought into what you do and try to apply it to your guild, but back to the original discussion - the application - I still don't think you had any reason to criticize that girl. You say what works for you works for you and I'll just have to take your word for it since you don't seem to have any fundamental thing wrong, so why would you assume what she does doesn't work for her?

Don't laugh. I've stacked spirit on the Maghari staff from Saurfang/10. Back in classic when we did Naxx I quite often had Arlokks famous spirit staff enchanted with +spirit with me. My alternatives were the Cenarion hammer + offhand and Benediciton(which I had so long that I took it upon me grinding rep so i could get what was at best a sidegrade).

30k mana raidbuffed as holy is a very decent level. More than decent. Same goes for your spell power. I'm not too sure about envying people with 700 spell haste. Depends on what they had to sacrifice.
    I think the value of stats has become shuffled around a bit since the Ulduar days. Our stats have increased significantly and there is no Chill of the Throne to tone down what we have achieved by now. The difference between Naxx gear and our current gear has become beyond silly. I understand what Blizz meant when they said that having an additional item tier did become a problem. ToC gear was ok, but item levels above 251 are indeed a bit too much for current balancing. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of nerf/tough encounter tuning/chill of the throne would come our way.

I read you on the 3%. Guessed it was what you wanted to achieve.

Edited by Penlowe
    Last edited by Penlowe; 01-28-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Looks like I missed something in this thread!

+ Reply to Thread