+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good trinkets for a Warlock

Good trinkets for a Warlock

Edit: Upon re-reading the rules, this post seems to be in the wrong forum. I can't find an option to deleat it, so please have it moved to the correct place. Sorry for the mix up.

Hey everyone.

I recently got lucky today in that after 2 weeks of farming every day, Nevermelting Icecrystal dropped from Pit of Saron heroic. I intended to use it to replace dying curse, however my joy was short lived when equiping it not only meant spending money on respecing to get supression and stay over the hit cap, but upon trying it in ICC 10 my DPS was considerably lower. On Deathbringer Saurfang, for example, I only achived 3.9K DPS, when last week when I did the same boss I got 4.4K.

I switched back to Dying Curse after Saurfang, and my DPS even on the trash increased. My second trinket currently is Eye of the Broodmother (which I plan on replacing with the trinket drop from Gundship battle 10 man), which I replaced Fetish of the Volatile power with.

So my question is this; Once I get enough gear to be hit capped without supression or dying curse, what would be the best replacement trinket? Or is dying curse so good it's not worth replacing currently?

http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?...&name=Kalshore This is my profile on WoW heroes if anyone has any other general gear tips they can give me. My main spec is currently destruction, as most fights don't really work well for Affliction. But on fights like Onyxia, I always use affliction. Speaking of which, is it worth farming 25 man Naxx again for the trinket the drops off Sapphiron? I used to have it, but before I had duel spec and I respecced destruction, I got rid of it ages ago.

Any advice you can give is much apriciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kalshore; 01-27-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Misplaced thread.

Hi,

To start off with, your WoW Heroes link doesn't work so I had to try and track you down on Armory and I'm ASSUMING http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...eyond+Insanity is you.

Few things to mention is that your gear seems to be a big down fall for your lower DPS however it doesnt quite explain why its as low as you say and why you're seeing a difference of nearly 500 dps between the two specs and to be frank I'd probably put that down to player skill more then anything else. After running your current stats through Simcraft with just CoE/Kings/MotW and your usual self buffs it's showing a DPS Parse of 5694 dps on a straight tank and spank so I'd definately start off by looking at your rotation and ensuring you were doing that to your maximum potential for max single target dps at a minimum. Once you have single target worked out you'll then be more confident on dotting up multiple mobs whilst focusing a single target (a la Saurfang) and you'll see a DPS Increase there too.

In regards to your DPS being lower on Trash, that is something I wouldnt be too concerned about for a couple of reasons. Most of the trash is AoE'd down anyway in which case there shouldnt be any real difference in your DPS. However for trash thats single target or in heroics you will definately notice your DPS being lower as Affliction just because of how short said fights are. For Affliction to be really effective it needs wind up time as opposed to Destro which has the burst virtually straight away.

To be more specific and to answer your question directly though, looking over your spec you've chosen a couple of talents which could be better spent elsewhere. A lot of the talents in the low tiers are just fillers and offer no significant dps gains or losses. For example Imp Drain Soul is only really good if your tanks aren't really ideal and you're subsequently having a lot of threat issues. If you're not then theres no need for this talent. Which gives you at least 2 points to put back into suppression for you to switch to NMIC. You shouldnt have to rely on hit solely on gear considering you can easily get 3% from talents without stressing yourself. For example with your current gear if you had Suppression you could drop your current bracers and get the crafted ToC Bracers which would be a significant DPS Upgrade for you rather then having to rely on the gear because of hit. Your Eye of the Broodmother is fine for the time being and I'd keep that until you can replace it with the Spyglass as you've said you intend to do.

To make the most out of your DPS as Affliction and also of your NMIC, what you want to be doing is using it so you can get as much crit possible on your corruption and keep it rolling (That is just keep it refreshed and never let it fall off). If you stick with something like this, I'm sure you'll find your DPS as Affliction improving and wil then give you more confidence on fights like Saurfang.

Sbolt > Sbolt > Haunt > USE NMIC NOW > Corr > UA > CoA

The reason for that is you're casting 2 sbolts for Shadows Embrace, and then casting haunt to allow time for your sbolts to land on the boss. You're then using the trinket so neither sbolt or haunt is taking up one of the stacks from the trinket so that way you'll have the full extra 20% crit on Corruption. From there on out keep casting Haunt every CD. and keep dots up etc..

I realise I've mentioned more then your original question however I think from what you're saying, your DPS is lower because of a few things which could be fixed up on your side. If you're still seeing the same kind of results then it might be something we'd need to look at with parses to find out what the exact problem is but at this point I'd just put it down to not being comfortable with the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Whispah View Post
    *snip for space*
    OK, I apriciate your advice but I think you've made a few misreadings of my post;

A: My DPS difference was using the SAME spec. Destruction. The difference came from switching out trinkets. I got 3.9K with NMIC and 4.4K with DC.
    B: When I talked about trash, I was refering to how, in the same raid, switching out NMIC with DC increased by DPS, EVEN on the trash.
    C: Thank you for the rotation advice. My rotation as destruction is COE (COD with boomkin or other lock in the raid) ---> Imo --> Conflag ---> CB --> Incinerate filler till Imo needs refreshing and cooldowns are finishes.
    D: Can you recomend a better trinket than DC for Destruction AND Affliction?

Hey,

I apologise for critting you with a wall of text if its not what you were after.

I was going over each of your 4 points and going to answer them individually however ultimately it all came back to the same answer. NMIC is all hyped up because its amazing for Affliction Warlocks. You're not seeing much of a gain with it as destro because.. well it's not a destro trinket. This is why your DPS is lower on bosses and Trash when swapping the two trinkets out.

Your final point however about a better trinket. There is nothing wrong with Eye of the Broodmother however other trinkets you could look at are the Illistration of the Dragon Soul (Sarth), Reign of the Dead (Anub 25), Muradins Spyglass (Gunship Battle 10), Dislodged Foreign Object(rotface) and eventually Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (Sindragosa).

If you or your guild is capable of it, for now I'd recommend farming Reign of the Dead on Normal and then again on Heroic. Double Reign of the Dead will last you until Heroic ICC is cleared.

Just for reference, this is why NMIC is desired by Aff. Locks:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/28/2241...n-exploit.html

Quote Originally Posted by Whispah View Post
    Hey,

I apologise for critting you with a wall of text if its not what you were after.

I was going over each of your 4 points and going to answer them individually however ultimately it all came back to the same answer. NMIC is all hyped up because its amazing for Affliction Warlocks. You're not seeing much of a gain with it as destro because.. well it's not a destro trinket. This is why your DPS is lower on bosses and Trash when swapping the two trinkets out.

Your final point however about a better trinket. There is nothing wrong with Eye of the Broodmother however other trinkets you could look at are the Illistration of the Dragon Soul (Sarth), Reign of the Dead (Anub 25), Muradins Spyglass (Gunship Battle 10), Dislodged Foreign Object(rotface) and eventually Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (Sindragosa).

If you or your guild is capable of it, for now I'd recommend farming Reign of the Dead on Normal and then again on Heroic. Double Reign of the Dead will last you until Heroic ICC is cleared.
    Aaaah I see. I'll use that for affliction, in which case (once I get a little more hit rating). Yes, I was planning on replacing Eye of the Broodmother with one of those trinkets. My guild sadly doesn't do TOTC hc, but we recently downed Anub on 25 man, so we have that place more or less on farm now. Should I replace dying curse with one of them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalshore View Post
    Aaaah I see. I'll use that for affliction, in which case (once I get a little more hit rating). Yes, I was planning on replacing Eye of the Broodmother with one of those trinkets. My guild sadly doesn't do TOTC hc, but we recently downed Anub on 25 man, so we have that place more or less on farm now. Should I replace dying curse with one of them as well?
    Hey,

Sorry its Whispah, just dont go by that name anymore so I made a new account :P.

For Destro, you can pretty much use any of the trinkets i listed with the exception of NMIC.

Below is a table copied from the 3.3 Compendium compiled by Madlax on Elitist Jerks.

[EDIT]: Nevermind, cant get the table to show properly. I would recommend you look at this link though http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t87413-3_3_compendium/
    Last edited by Ehvyn; 01-28-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: MATT DAMON DURR CODING IS HARD

+ Reply to Thread