+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: I failed at Halls of Reflection today

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    I failed at Halls of Reflection today

    I need some advice bears. I've been tanking for over 4 years now with 3 different classes. I think I have a decent idea of what I'm doing. (I could be completely doing it wrong) I could not for the life of me hold aggro in HoR today. It was my first time there tanking and I could use some tips. I was basically spamming Swipe and throwing in Mangles and FF (which are both macro'd to cast Maul). I also have the Glyph of Maul so it hits 2 targets. I was also positioned in the corners to LOS the waves. I could really use some advice on tanking in there. Thanks in advance! Here's my armory in case I could make some changes there to help.

    The World of Warcraft Armory - Halfkuma @ Maelstrom - Profile

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    4,416
    In my experience it's more often the fact that the DPS fails at Halls of Reflection and blames it on the tank. Even if you're a good tank, mobs coming at you at different times from different directions, some of which are ranged, while they also have snares, cc's and heals, is a difficult thing to pick up. If the dps don't realize this and work with you instead of against you, you're likely to have troubles.

    I've been in some runs where the dps behaves, and everything is smooth as silk. I've been in others where it was just a nightmare because the dps were attacking stuff before it reached me, opening up on the first mob to reach me while I'm still trying to round up others, etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    71
    if you have your whole grp including you los the mobs it should be easy for a druid just spam maul + swipe and that should be enough for aggro as long as your mauling the mt, and everyone should know what that is before you start. I usually go mage, priest, rogue, hunter, warrior

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    In my experience it's more often the fact that the DPS fails at Halls of Reflection and blames it on the tank. Even if you're a good tank, mobs coming at you at different times from different directions, some of which are ranged, while they also have snares, cc's and heals, is a difficult thing to pick up. If the dps don't realize this and work with you instead of against you, you're likely to have troubles.

    I've been in some runs where the dps behaves, and everything is smooth as silk. I've been in others where it was just a nightmare because the dps were attacking stuff before it reached me, opening up on the first mob to reach me while I'm still trying to round up others, etc.
    Exactly, those mobs are very much a teamwork fight, the DPS needs to work with the tank. Mob attacking the healer, DPS needs to attack that mob, and people need to let the Tank know. The tank can't watch everything in that fight. Mob standing out at range, DK should Death Grip it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Everett WA
    Posts
    161
    Let's see... your spec is okay, your gear is fine, you have enough expertise, you are a little shy on hit but still more than enough to do HoR. If you are LoSing everything in to the corner, having maul que'd up 100% of the time and spaming Swipe then there really isn't anything outside of that you can do. This is the hardest 5 man there is so you do gotta pay attention, but it sounds like the DPS were the ones causing issues there.

    But of course it could all be your fault and we are over looking something simple.... you were in bear form right?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Bear form!! that's what I forgot!

    Thanks for the advice everyone. I may have to work on keeping Maul up more. I appreciate the advice!

  7. #7
    Just macro maul to your other threat abilities and save yourself a lot of carpal tunnel.

    Also, DO NOT use the LoS silliness in that first room. It's a great learning experience for everyone and it's honestly easier to just stay out in the room if you get the group to behave and not work against you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    721
    The biggest trick I found was to do demo roar. The melee hit hard.

    The second biggest trick was to kill the priests first.

    The third trick is to face the right way; you can't afford to lose all your dodge.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13
    sorry felhoof but going to have to disagree slightly I start the group off at the door and my kill order is Mage then Priest then melee then the rubbish rifleman. (I run with a preist who cc the rifleman)I am a bear and I realy hate magic, as it realy hurts!Well thats the way I run it.Reek - Nordrassil - eu

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    721
    I'd like to kill the mage first, but chances are he stays out of range for the while. The priest usually runs in with the rest of 'em, and he's both the most squishy and the most disruptive thing in range.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    I am a warrior but, the LOS stuff in HoR does not work. That opening hallway is much better. Also, make sure everyone in your group is doing crowd control. DK - death-gripe, priest - shackle undead, hunters - frost traps and so on.

    A melee dps can really help by grabbing the mage (who will NOT stay close to the tank ) and or the hunter.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    92
    Prot pally here, I find LoS is great as long as the whole party will actually pack themselves into that tiny cubby hole. If they and you are patient, everything, even the mage and hunter, will come into melee range to get you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    4,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    Prot pally here, I find LoS is great as long as the whole party will actually pack themselves into that tiny cubby hole. If they and you are patient, everything, even the mage and hunter, will come into melee range to get you.
    I think that probably works better for non-warriors. It sucks to have mobs trickle in as a warrior because you only get a Thunderclap every 6 seconds, and a Shockwave every 20, so you end up with DPS that open up when the first mob shows up, and the mobs start wailing on them while you're waiting for cooldowns. I'm much more satisfied as a warrior when I can see what I'm tanking.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    I think that probably works better for non-warriors. It sucks to have mobs trickle in as a warrior because you only get a Thunderclap every 6 seconds, and a Shockwave every 20, so you end up with DPS that open up when the first mob shows up, and the mobs start wailing on them while you're waiting for cooldowns. I'm much more satisfied as a warrior when I can see what I'm tanking.

    This pretty much requires timing and tactical analysis as a warrior.

    The first few melee mobs that come in usually do so together. TC them. Heroic throw the mage. Shockwave any remaining Melee and the first bunch. Taunt the hunter, use los to bring him in. Disarm him and you're all set.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    4,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    This pretty much requires timing and tactical analysis as a warrior.

    The first few melee mobs that come in usually do so together. TC them. Heroic throw the mage. Shockwave any remaining Melee and the first bunch. Taunt the hunter, use los to bring him in. Disarm him and you're all set.
    I'm not suggesting you can't do it as a warrior. What I'm saying is that all the things you just suggested doing are things I can do easier without using the nook, because I can see the mobs I'm doing this stuff to better. On top of that, it makes CC on those mobs if a lot easier if I have CC capable folks in my group.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    I'm not suggesting you can't do it as a warrior. What I'm saying is that all the things you just suggested doing are things I can do easier without using the nook, because I can see the mobs I'm doing this stuff to better. On top of that, it makes CC on those mobs if a lot easier if I have CC capable folks in my group.
    I guess. I've gotten enough experience with this place to have the timing of the mobs down (how long it take the nesrest ones to get to me, the furthest ones, etc) so I hardly even have to look. Having name plates that show up through walls helps.

    You're right about CC though...if I could ever get DPS to CC. I ask them and they usually whine that they can't because their meters will go down. Makes me cranky.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    66
    I am also a bear, and in my experience, it's easiest to do all the pulls in the opening hallway, where you can get around a corner if needed, but you can also survey the action and see whats going on. CC is not required, and can occasionally be distracting, the only mobs that stay at range are the riflemen and the mages. Generally I will get all the melee mobs on me and then park right on top of one of those ranged mobs. I will then keep the other mob (that has stayed at range) on me by just faerie firing it on cooldown.

    I tend to do this differently, but I prefer to always kill the footmen and mercenaries first, as they stun and interupt the healer. I've never had a problem doing it this way, and generally it keeps the healer clean and the group rolling smoothly. Make sure to mark at least the first 2 dps targets, and ask people to please focus fire single target dps until the first 2 mobs die, then they can aoe if they choose.

    Just my experience, but I haven't wiped (or had a death) in HoR since the first week of 3.3, even with bad pugs.
    Guild Chat Podcast
    www.guildchatpodcast.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thanks, everyone, for the advice! It has really helped. I appreciate the input.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts