+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warbringer and stance dancing

Warbringer and stance dancing

I just started to knock the dust off of my BC warrior tank since I fell in love with my DK when I started playing again after a break from WOW. Since I have started playing with him again it seems like threat generation isnít nearly as hard as it was back then and warbringer is the best thing ever invented. With warbringer not making me stance dance to charge or intercept I donít find myself changing stances like I used to have to. Is stance dancing still as important as it used to be and what do you guys find that you need to do this for the most now?

Warbringer = no stance dancing.

Yay warbringer!

The only reasons to stance dance as a prot warrior are for tanking Festergut, or rather, when the other tank is tanking him, and also for using Shattering Throw.

Warbringer is pretty much the best talent they ever added to the game for any class. Unfortunately, they're nerfing it next patch.

It's not like it's too big of a nerf.

Any good pvproter will use intervene and then intercept to get rid of any movement impairing effects. It'll be unfortunate if you're the only guy alive though.

On topic: Yes, you can stay in defensive stance at all times and not only not lose rage, but you also gain rage to charge without stance dancing.

So yes, warbringer is the best thing ever invented for prot warriors.
    Last edited by kpxneophyte; 01-27-2010 at 11:34 AM.

As an Original Game Tankģ, I heartily support the notion that Warbringer (abd the related availability of Berzerker Rage in all stances) have collectively changed the state of Warrior tanking, and greatly for the better.

Thanks for the input, I'm glad to hear that other people see this talent the way I have. As I've been trying to get used to the new priorites and abilities I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing out on something that used to be a determining factor of how good a warrior tank was or was not.

What about using Retaliation as opener in AOE scenarios, does this make sense?
    I think it won't be necessary if you raid with a guild, but as I want to start using the dungeon tool more while trying to reach 80 before Cat launches, I wonder if it is a reasonable opener in PUGs.

Changing stance to do damage when not tanking is one thing (e.g. festergut, saurfang), but it's hardly *dancing* in the old sense. The closest I've come to that recently was in the Faction Champions encounter in TOC, where I would stance dance to apply hamstring to a melee target. Fitting in a shattering throw would probably be the other (and is probably a new trick that a returning tank might want to learn). Pretty much every other ability that a warrior might have danced for in the past (thunderclap, mocking blow, charge/intercept, berserker rage) are all available in defensive stance.

The forums may be full of whine over class balancing, but it's easy to forget the quality of life improvements that prot warriors got in the lich king expansion. People have very short memories.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Changing stance to do damage when not tanking is one thing (e.g. festergut, saurfang), but it's hardly *dancing* in the old sense. The closest I've come to that recently was in the Faction Champions encounter in TOC, where I would stance dance to apply hamstring to a melee target. Fitting in a shattering throw would probably be the other (and is probably a new trick that a returning tank might want to learn). Pretty much every other ability that a warrior might have danced for in the past (thunderclap, mocking blow, charge/intercept, berserker rage) are all available in defensive stance.

The forums may be full of whine over class balancing, but it's easy to forget the quality of life improvements that prot warriors got in the lich king expansion. People have very short memories.
    I'll have to look into the shattering throw dance and macro it. How much threat does it generate?

Quote Originally Posted by GronkerLonker View Post
    What about using Retaliation as opener in AOE scenarios, does this make sense?
    While you still aren't a paladin or a bear as far as AoE pulls go, warriors are a lot better at tanking multiple mobs than they used to be. It shouldn't be necessary to pop retaliation. Also, unless you have incredibly low avoidance, you won't actually be doing much retaliating, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bailessm View Post
    I'll have to look into the shattering throw dance and macro it. How much threat does it generate?
    Shattering Throw is not really about threat, but rather about 10 seconds of added armor penetration for the raid. I use it for things like Icehowl when he's stunned, or Deathbringer Saurfang just after he's been taunted off me.

Quote Originally Posted by bailessm View Post
    Shattering throw isn't really a threat move, and it's not worth stance dancing to use it while tanking, due to the increased damage you'll take while in battle stance. It's generally used when offtanking, especially in a burn/bloodlust phase for the increased armor reduction on the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    While you still aren't a paladin or a bear as far as AoE pulls go, warriors are a lot better at tanking multiple mobs than they used to be. It shouldn't be necessary to pop retaliation. Also, unless you have incredibly low avoidance, you won't actually be doing much retaliating, lol.
    Ah thanks, I didn't knew this. I will see what I can replace on my gear to get lower avoidance. ...kidding .

Quote Originally Posted by GronkerLonker View Post
    I will see what I can replace on my gear to get lower avoidance. ...kidding .
    I lol'd

+ Reply to Thread