+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Opener Rotation

Warrior Opener Rotation

A while back I was Main Tanking an OS 3 drake zerg. I was having trouble coming up with enough threat so that the Dps can blow up Sarth. Grant it I wasnt super geared then. I came with a solution so all the Dps can go buck wild. Ever since then I have been using this opener for almost every boss to ensure that sweet sweet threat lead. I came up with a lil' flowchart to show what I do. Im not sure if its exargetrated for a simple threat boost that might even out ~10 seconds into the fight.

Superopener.jpg

Is this a smart way to start an encounter ?
    Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.

Seems like this would be situational... It might be okay of an OS zerg, but I would not want to use it in bleeding edge content, unless you know for sure you healers can keep you up. 20% extra damage taken on a hard hitting boss could be bad....

That's what I do for some pulls
    Using this macro simplifies all the stance dancing:

#showtooltip Recklessness
    /cast [stance:3] Recklessness; Berserker Stance
    /cast Defensive Stance
    /cast Shield Block
    Arklay of Blackhand

Seems like a bad tradeoff. You get a couple of extra crits for attacks with an already 20% crit rate, for which you trade 20% more damage taken for 12 seconds. It really doesn't feel like that'd be worth it to me. Just make sure a high threat person is vigilanced, charge in, and as long as your first shield slam connects, you shouldn't have trouble with initial aggro. Why take the extra 20% damage?

On progression/boss fights, Recklessness is out of the question. I do
    Charge while SB --> TC --> SS --> Demo --> 3x Dev... and onward to normal rotation.
    I consider in order of priority: Slam for initial threat, Damage debuffs, full sunders for melee classes 5 seconds into the fight.
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

Or just use Misdirection.

"Recklessness
    Your next 3 special ability attacks have an additional 100% to critically hit but all damage taken is increased by 20%. Lasts 12 sec."

There is a 12 second window. For this extra 20%, possible 10% (I'm not quite sure if the Defensive Stance 10% is applied) damage to come cashing its check. But if you factor in the amount of time committed to this dance, and some downtime to shorten this window, also relying on your avoidance. I don't think it makes that dangerous. I can see if somebody does it mid-fight where it becomes a problem.

I highly agree when this combo is labeled 'Situational' . I admitt to abusing it.
    Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.

Actually even on progression bosses I use this trick; not all the time, but I do. Sure I take 20% extra damage; but my shield block is active for the duration of the buff, so the extra damage I'm gonna take is gonna be mitigated at least a bit. I also tend to pop my trinkets on the pull when I do this to offset the increased damage. Also I get hot'd up like crazy and shielded and all that other wonderful goodness.

This is something I've been meaning to examine; the actual danger of using Recklessness at the beginning of the pull. Too many variables I don't know the details for: basically as mentioned above, is the 20% additional damage calculated after mitigations from armor, block, and stances, or before? (/cough like does it act like anub adds?)

If the 20% is on the actual damage suffered, it's paltry, if it's applied to the total damage done, it's quite a different matter.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bretzal View Post
    A while back I was Main Tanking an OS 3 drake zerg. I was having trouble coming up with enough threat so that the Dps can blow up Sarth. Grant it I wasnt super geared then. I came with a solution so all the Dps can go buck wild. Ever since then I have been using this opener for almost every boss to ensure that sweet sweet threat lead. I came up with a lil' flowchart to show what I do. Im not sure if its exargetrated for a simple threat boost that might even out ~10 seconds into the fight.

Attachment 891

Is this a smart way to start an encounter ?
    Really depends on what you are doing. If you are at serious risk of going splat in the first 10 seconds of a fight, this would be a terrible idea. If you feel you need to do this to keep DPS from pulling aggro in the initial seconds of the fight, or to beat an enrage timer - it's time to talk to your raid about a little l2play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

+ Reply to Thread