+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concussion Blow changes

Concussion Blow changes

I can understand the changes to Shield Slam and Warbringer mandated by PvP. Not happy about it (because I don't PvP) but I understand.

But Concussion Blow?

I'm fairly sure I was not the only warrior tank out there who put CB into their rotation for a little extra damage and therefore threat. After the changes, there will be less reason to do so, if any. After the change, Devastate will do about 80% of the threat of CB, whilc CB will do about 80% of the damage of buffed Devastate. While even for a very powerful endgame warrior tank (stronger than myself) the difference over time isn't huge, it is still a loss, and I'm willing to believe that Blizzard made some of the other changes (such as the threat bonus to Shield Slam) with that loss in mind, and tried to make 3.3.2 a net gain. However, I worry about those tanks under 55 who have neither Devastate nor Shockwave, as well as a weakened Shield Slam, who get a relatively sharp decrease in damage -- and these poor guys are probably soloing quests, so the threat bonus means nothing.

My question is, therefore, was the damage caused by Concussion Blow in Arena matches really so strong as to merit this change, and the resulting effect to up-and-coming tanks?
    Last edited by Breccia; 01-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.

I like your thread title. Very minimalist.

Yeah I screwed that part up. Fixed it.

I fixed it no worries.

What exactly is the change can you link to the source in your OP?

I've said it before, all of these changes just seem to be change happy devs who still aren't addressing the problem with prot in pvp, it isn't conc blow, it isn't ss, it isn't ANY ONE ability, it's the usage of pve gear, and largely pve set bonuses, giving prot a huge advantage in burst by combining 2 different set bonuses.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

If Concussion Blow does less damage than Devastate there will be no reason to ever use it on a boss fight. Add to the fact glyph of devastate will further increase its damage and threat component. You can cut it out of the rotation totally. Still has great utility on nasty trash mobs like BQL trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
    If Concussion Blow does less damage than Devastate there will be no reason to ever use it on a boss fight. Add to the fact glyph of devastate will further increase its damage and threat component. You can cut it out of the rotation totally. Still has great utility on nasty trash mobs like BQL trash.
    except that they are not changing the threat on Conc Blow, so even if the damage is lower it is still an extremely high threat move, therefore it does not need to be dropped out of your rotation.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    except that they are not changing the threat on Conc Blow, so even if the damage is lower it is still an extremely high threat move, therefore it does not need to be dropped out of your rotation.
    I am pretty sure that statement is false Aggathon. All of Conc Blow's threat comes from the damage it does http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...alues-(Warrior) and even if Blizzard adjusts the ability so that the threat is at its current state looking at WarTotem's spreadsheet you can see that Shield Slam does higher threat, Devastate does higher threat, Revenge does a little more threat if you include Sword and Board and Shockwave does equal which will be much better since it will be doing a little over 50% of the damage Conc Blow will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    I fixed it no worries.

What exactly is the change can you link to the source in your OP?

I've said it before, all of these changes just seem to be change happy devs who still aren't addressing the problem with prot in pvp, it isn't conc blow, it isn't ss, it isn't ANY ONE ability, it's the usage of pve gear, and largely pve set bonuses, giving prot a huge advantage in burst by combining 2 different set bonuses.
    The OP is referring to a translation of the 3.2.2 patch notes, located here.

"Concussion Blow - Damage has been reduced by 50%, but a threat modifier has been added to compensate. "

In response to your comments about changing all this for PvP, I've realized something.

1) Cat is on the way
    2) Blizz KNOWS 4.0 will be total rehauls of every class
    3) The REAL fix for this problem would have to address all those things you listed and more, and is difficult to do without sweeping changes across several items at once.
    4) Kknowing 4.0 is on the way, Blizz is unwilling to make any major changes, so they'll throw out a few bandaids that might fix the problem without requiring any serious overhauling. That way they tide us over until 4.0, at which point the numerous changes will make all of it irrelevant.

TL;DR If we want any real fixes we wait until Cat.

i have crit 8k Conc's in my DPS gear. co i can understand why its being nerfed, i just wish they would buff the hell out of revenge so i use it again, only time i use it anymore is when i dont have enough rage for a devistate

A little off topic but still relating the increase in damage from Devastate should make Concussion Blow and Revenge in a single target rotation pretty useless since it already has more threat and should get close to passing both in damage. At this point for a single target TPS rotation we could see pure glyphed Devastate spam being better than SS > Devastate. In a damage rotation from what it looks like it will be SS > Shockwave > Devastate.

So we wait for 6 months while we do 1k less dps than all other tank classes. Why not just nerf the crap out of everyone and say, don't worry we'll fix it in 6 months by that reason...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    So we wait for 6 months while we do 1k less dps than all other tank classes. Why not just nerf the crap out of everyone and say, don't worry we'll fix it in 6 months by that reason...
    Don't give them ideas. I've already seen several blue posts that pretty much said flat out "well we could do a better fix but it requires a complete overhaul, so we're waiting till Cat for it"

Pre-nerf, I saw some pretty high concussion blow numbers. If I'm lucky now I get a 3.7k crit with it, as opposed to 7ks that I used to see. I've never encountered a major threat issue in WotLK, at least not one that wasn't a gear problem. I just wish they'd let us keep some form of dps with our class, instead of a threat modifier to make up for the damage changes.

+ Reply to Thread