+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Tank Set Bonuses

DK Tank Set Bonuses

Posted this on the Blizzard tanking forums. Please put your input there. Hoping for a blue response.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...48797792&sid=1

Blue, Had a quick question regarding the two piece set bonus for DK Tanks. Using GC's own words -

"1) We're much more concerned about tank single target dps than we are tank AE dps. Especially in Icecrown, there are virtually no fights where the tank's dps contribution on an AE fight is really going to amount to much. You can make an argument that the single target dps can be relevant on e.g. Festergut (though again, I still don't think there are that many cases where the difference between success and fail are the tank's dps).: - GC - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...48775349&sid=1

2 pieces: Increases the damage done by your Death and Decay ability by 20%.

Any chance we can get our two piece set bonus changed to reflect the above comments? I know for me personally it would make the tier pieces more desirable. I realize the source thread is about Prot Warrior DPS but it seems to be a general tank statement.

Thank you.
    There is no escape but death. Your life is just a murdatrain a-comin.

Not likely? But the official forums would be the place to try to get the suggestion through. =)

Personally, I'm dead jealous of Prot Warriors who get a 2 pc 20% buff to Shield Slam and Shockwave. =(
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I'm jealous of the fact that the three other tank classes get huge buffs to a ST and AoE threat ability. Pretty easy to see who got the short end of the stick for set bonuses this time around.

(HotR is relatively weak for Paladin ST threat, but it's still used in rotation and their threat is bananas anyway.)

As of a week ago, we were all sure that t10 was not worth wearing anyhow. As of last night, with the news of updates to t10 itemization, I think we'll have to wait and see what happens. It will certainly be difficult to weigh t10 against off-set bits given how poor the set bonuses are. How much raw sta and armor is worth a mini-cd that is forcibly baked into your pre-existing secondary?

The 2piece is almost halariously bad though, but i can't say i'm shocked to see that kind of flaw in out t10 when we still don't have an ap debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    The 2piece is almost halariously bad though, but i can't say i'm shocked to see that kind of flaw in out t10 when we still don't have an ap debuff.
    Or a health self-buff, like Blessing of Sanctuary, Mark of the Wild or Commanding Shout.

Quote Originally Posted by immerc View Post
    Or a health self-buff, like Blessing of Sanctuary, Mark of the Wild or Commanding Shout.
    Oh, of course we could make a laundry list of utilities dk's don't have that other tanks do, but the AP debuff (even more so than block mechanic, cooldowns that require runes, and the base raid buffs) is the single biggest quality of life change for dk tanks in general. It's a HUGE deal in 10mans for those raiders who are not out-gearing the content via. gear, and it's just plain annoying in 25man encounters where we would tank something that a ret paladin (most common applicant of ap debuff these days) won't be regularly attacking.

2 pieces: Increases the damage done by your Rune Strike and Death and Decay abilities by 20%.

Fixed.
    Might not be the most original set bonus, but atleast it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I'd much rather see a baked in AP debuff for the 2-set. Sadly that's shooting for the moon. I suppose RS being our tankity dk crutch is ok for now. I'll sign onto anything with a not-dnd damage buff, so long as it works for the blood tanks. =)

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    2 pieces: Increases the damage done by your Rune Strike and Death and Decay abilities by 20%.

Fixed.
    Might not be the most original set bonus, but atleast it works.
    I second this option (or am i third)

From what I have seen so far of the changes to the gear, it's all around fail for the DKs. It still makes the badge vendor items look better than the tier imho. At this juncture I am seriously considering dropping my 264 tier gloves for the badge ones because it's just that much better considering that the set bonuses are junk. They didn't link the 264 tier items so I don't know if they will change any, but the 251 stuff really came across as an afterthought imho.

Heh, 20% more damage on RS would be too much, particularly outside of ICC. There's also the issue of the relative value.

It'd probably be more appropriate for it to be a 20% increase to OB and ScS, and 10% increase to HS.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

But then it becomes tempting for DPS DKs to get both the DPS 2 piece and the tank 2 piece.

I'd settle for even a tiny RS buff in the bonus. Heck it could further modify threat and not damage at all.

Scrap my previous replies, I don't want to have to wear a single piece of this laughably itemized set.

How about +10% Threat in Frost Presence instead of any +damage on any ability? It would affect everything equally.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Not likely? But the official forums would be the place to try to get the suggestion through. =)

Personally, I'm dead jealous of Prot Warriors who get a 2 pc 20% buff to Shield Slam and Shockwave. =(
    but we're still 1-1.5k less dps than other tanks, and this came just before they decided to further cap/nerf our shield slam damage... kinda silly

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    but we're still 1-1.5k less dps than other tanks, and this came just before they decided to further cap/nerf our shield slam damage... kinda silly
    I havent noticed a gap that wide between myself and our prot warrior and dk's have yet to go up on the graphed tank-dps thread. I would say that is un-founded, at the very least, in a DK thread.

I agree with the disappointment in the set bonus. As a Frost single-disease tank I don't even use DnD except in very specific (and gimmicky) situations. The split pull in VH, for example. Even then it shouldn't be necessary if the group is able to get there quick enough.
    What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Denekawa View Post
    They didn't link the 264 tier items so I don't know if they will change any, but the 251 stuff really came across as an afterthought imho.
    The blue post says "we will be adjusting the stats on the gloves and chest pieces in order to inflate the amount of armor they provide in the next minor patch. This will apply to all item levels of the tier-10 death knight, warrior, and paladin tanking gloves and chest pieces." so yes, they will change the 264 items too.

personally, i will get myself the off-set items, as they'll put me on the expertice hard cap (finally!) and still have better stats then the t10 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Xed View Post
    , i will get myself the off-set items, as they'll put me on the expertice hard cap (finally!) and still have better stats then the t10 pieces.
    I hope you mean soft cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Heh, 20% more damage on RS would be too much, particularly outside of ICC. There's also the issue of the relative value.
    I agree - a 20% jump to RS would be overkill. There's also the issue of this being way too close to the T8 set bonus (which was awesome).

If it comes down to it, I don't mind if our set bonus is junk, as long as the net package is balanced. If at the end of the day, a death knight in full t10 (or offset gear) is comparable to every other tank in full t10 (or offset equivalent), then it doesn't matter at all - if anything bad set bonuses let you be more flexible in your gear selections. As for relative tank threat though, I'm pretty sure it's not that death knights are behind (as my current understanding is that it's fairly close between warriors/druids/death knights), so much as paladins are ahead.

If nothing else, setting up a spec with glyphed DnD, morbidity, and the set bonus is good for a laugh on trash.

-Splug

+ Reply to Thread