+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideal DW-Frost Weapons?

Ideal DW-Frost Weapons?

In my frost spec I'm using 2x Rimefang's Claw - Item - World of Warcraft for my frost spec but I heard something about slower weapons being better. As far as an actual tanking weapon goes (with the exception of broken promise) the slowest weapon speed is 1.7, to go slower would mean to go away from a tank weapon.

Is that something I should be looking into doing? If so, any suggestions?

Slow weapons are better threat. I recommend 2 Nighttimes which are easy enough to get from H-Forge.
    Proud king of being one-shotted by a wet paper bag.

Here is the thing with DW Tanking weapons.

2 Slow DPS Weapons = better threat.
    2 Tanking Weapons = more survivability stats.

Slow Tanking Weapons:
    Broken Promise - Item - World of Warcraft
    Gleaming Quel'Serrar - Item - World of Warcraft
    Burnished Quel'Serrar - Item - World of Warcraft

I personally use the BQS with Rimefang's Claw - Item - World of Warcraft.

BIS weapon for DW Tank is

2 x Bloodvenom Blade - Item - World of Warcraft
    with Rune of the Nerubian Carapace - Spells - Sigrie

unless Lich King drop something better.

heroic bloodvenom blade MH and the H10 Ner'Zhul tanking axe OH.
    the only real difference between a tanking weapon and a DPS weapon is the amount of stamina and how much your strikes sting. Using a slow DPS weapon MH will make you possibly lose a few all important HPs>.> but it'll give you a significant increase in threat. the tradeoff in OH is more minimal since the damage it provides is scaled down in multiple ways.

i still normally vote-kick any frost tanks i see with 2 tank weapons in random 5-mans since i know im more than likely gonna pull threat from them. the very minimal amount of survivability a weapon provides outside the weapon enchant used on it is nowhere near the importance of being able to do any sort of meaningful threat or dps as a tank. it requires alot more single target threat to hold aggro in a raid than it does in a heroic 5-man, especially when you random into groups that you could hold aggro in blood presence.

It is a blizzard gift for DK to be able to use slow DPS weapon which is why Rune of the Nerubian Carapace - Spell - World of Warcraft is added in patch 3.3.

Dual-wield, weapon speed and expertise | pwnwear provides information to choose weapon base on weapon speed.

For 5-man heroics like what Astrid said, there is no need to use 2 tank weapon, but then again it is heroic 5-man, any weapon will do. For geared tanks use Rune of the Fallen Crusader - Spell - World of Warcraft and Rune of Cinderglacier - Spell - World of Warcraft for 5-man heroics. Runeforge is free for DK as compared to other class, make full use of it. Use 2 dps trinket for 5-man heroics, do 3-4k dps, chain pull, be aggressive and clear it within 5-15mins.
    Last edited by Tank; 01-23-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    i still normally vote-kick any frost tanks i see with 2 tank weapons in random 5-mans since i know im more than likely gonna pull threat from them. the very minimal amount of survivability a weapon provides outside the weapon enchant used on it is nowhere near the importance of being able to do any sort of meaningful threat or dps as a tank. it requires alot more single target threat to hold aggro in a raid than it does in a heroic 5-man, especially when you random into groups that you could hold aggro in blood presence.
    Funny I had a mage pulling 9k dps during a H Gun random today, he couldn't pull off of me. Gal'darah was killed before he could transform into a Rhino.
    I used BQS and Rimefang's Claw for my weapons.

Thanks for the responses, I still wonder is it due to mechanics (slower weapons hit heavier then faster) or a proc chance (does weapon speed influence things like Rime and Killing Machine?)?

+ Reply to Thread