+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! New to tanking

Help! New to tanking

Hello I am pretty new to tanking and truly love the roll. Even when being verbally abused by over zealous players, lol but I have one issue that I need help with please.

When I am tanking I do pretty well with multiple mobs but every once in a while Iíll loose a mob to DPS and because we (the group and all the mobs) are sometimes all balled up together. This makes it almost impossible for me to target (or even know which mob)is the offending mob who is slapping the DPS around.

I do use Intervene but in close combat I still cannot see which mob to target? Is there a marco or a mod that will show which mob has targeted a certain person? I am using Grid at the moment and it would be nice to be able to click on the person who has pulled agro and be able to target that mob.

Any help from you seasoned tanks out there would be much appreciated.

BTW this is a incredible site...Keep up the great work!

Aloft is exactly what you need. It will show you via the floating name plates which mobs you are losing (orange glow) or have lost threat on (red glow) [you will need to reverse this effect upon install - Default is the opposite - It assumes you're a DPS and aggro is bad]. You can then simply click this nameplate to target the offending mob and taunt / add threat.

Aloft is IMO essential for trash tanking.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...AloftBeta.html

I have a bit written up about AoE tanking in my guide in the general questions section. You might check out my guide for other stuff too.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Hi Baaz, love the name

Depending on how much group tanking you're doing, there are a few things you can do to help yourself:

Glyph of Cleaving - this let's you cleave one more mob out of a pack and generates pretty decent threat over a group
    Get a block set - the passive threat you'll get from mobs trying to hit you and getting blocked will really help you out.
    Use Thunderclap on cooldown, every time - this one's pretty self explanitory
    User Shockwave on cooldown, every time
    Throw out Demoralizing Shout

Aloft is a good suggestion; but you can also enable name plates with your V key if you like to run light on mods. But seeing how much damage each mob in your group has taken, you can estimate how much attention they're going to need to prevent a pull.

Tab target a bit - hit one mob a few times with SS and Rev, then switch to another target

Those straggly caster types can be a challenge, so for those guys use Heroic Throw if you're spec'd into Gag Order. It has a good chance of silencing them so they run to you and fall into your cleaves, shockwaves and tclaps.

Use your party members to get threat - taunt isn't just an 'oh shit he pulled' button but can also be quite useful to get aggro. Keep an eye on a melee target and when it pulls off toward a caster, target it, taunt it and bomb it

Lastly, put Vigilence on a hunter pet. It's pretty common for one to single target on some mob and pull threat, the vigilence will help augment that as well as give you the taunts you need when you need them

Thanks everyone fror the great info. I have been reading everything I find on tanking here on this site and have learned a lot.

Thank you

Posting your armory is also a good idea. In many instances, suggestions can be given in terms of spec, glyphs, gearing, gemming, enchants, and the like. The more information we have (based on your armory), the more personalized the suggestions will be (and thus, more relevant to you).

+ Reply to Thread