+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 80 Warrior Tank | Need advice with agro etc

80 Warrior Tank | Need advice with agro etc

Hi,

Basically im a warrior prot tank and my issue is keeping agro im finding that with multiple mobs its often hard to do so. My rotation that is the general do is as below.

To Pull one mob = either throwing weapon or taunt
    - Thunderclap
    - Devestate mutliple times
    -Thunder Clap
    - Shield Slam
    - Shield bash
    - Thunderclap
    - Mocking Blow (if needed)

I usually also use revenge when it procs and repeat with the shield slam and bash. Thunderclap is used as often as possible also along with Challenging shout if it is really needed. My wow armory is below

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...os&cn=Andrious

What im wearing is a 4.8k GS and ive main tanked onyxia successfully aswell as off tanked totc.

Im looking for some advice on a rotation/talent build aswell as tanking advice in general for me to successfully keep multiple mobs.

Cheers in advance - Andrious.

As far as aoe threat goes, make sure you use Shockwave every cooldown and use Cleave as much as your rage allows. Also, make sure you're tabbing to switch targets to spread around the threat.

Also, Shield Bash is not a top priority move for threat and should never be used unless you have to interrupt a caster.

Quote Originally Posted by GŁth View Post
    As far as aoe threat goes, make sure you use Shockwave every cooldown and use Cleave as much as your rage allows. Also, make sure you're tabbing to switch targets to spread around the threat.

Also, Shield Bash is not a top priority move for threat and should never be used unless you have to interrupt a caster.
    I wouldn't say that... since it's not on the GCD, throwing one in between other abilities (other than when you need to interrupt stuff, like HoR with an undergeared healer) can give a valuable boost to your threat. Small, but an advantage!

To the OP, you should try using Concussion Blow as well - it's one of our highest threat abilities (higher than Devastate).

The single target rotation you listed could do with some improvement. Firstly, you only really need to Thunderclap if it's multiple mobs (for AoE threat) or a boss in a raid (to lessen the damage you take).

Secondly, these days it's best to basically give abilities priority instead of having a set rotation.

Open, as you say, with Heroic Throw + Charge (Taunt isn't so good, since you don't build any threat and healers/DPS can easily pull aggro if they start attacking/healing early). If Heroic Throw is on cooldown, just Charge + Shield Slam (you should also do this after Heroic Throw, i.e. Heroic Throw + Charge + Shield Slam) and then follow this priority order:

1. Sword and Board procced Shield Slam (but always open with Shield Slam regardless of Sword and Board procs - it's our best snap threat ability).
    2. Revenge
    3. Shield Slam
    4. Shockwave (even on single mobs)
    5. Concussion Blow
    6. Devastate

As you can see, Devastate is last on the list. When tanking several mobs it's easy to fall into the habit of just spamming stuff, especially if you have a DPS pulling 6-7k, but it actually works against you. Just keep your head cool and follow the priorities listed above, and throw in Shield Slam/Revenge/Concussion Blow on mobs in the pull.

For AoE pulls, I basically Heroic Throw one mob (a caster if possible for the silence effect from the Gag Order talent), Charge + Shield Slam another, Thunder Clap, Shockwave once they're all bunched up (since it's a frontal cone ability and not AoE), and then when the Shockwave stun is about to wear off I use Shield Block (10 seconds of all non-dodged/parried/missed attacks being blocked, and thus reflective damage thanks to the Damage Shield talent plus bigger Shield Slams) and another Shield Slam on a different mob. Then I go with the above priority order, using Thunder Clap every time it's off cooldown and spamming Cleave if my Rage gets higher than about 60.

Hope this helps.

Actually you have the priority system off a bit Bigtime. It's usually considered to be:

1. Shield Slam (doesn't matter if it's S&B procced or not).
    2. Concussion Blow.
    3. Shockwave.
    4. Revenge.
    5. Devastate.
    6. HS/Cleave rage dumping.

Revenge and Devastate are fairly close to each other but revenge is ahead and have way higher threat/rage. With the new buffs to devastate soonish I will probably drop revenge all together and get some utility
    points from imp. revenge instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glittersmith View Post
    Actually you have the priority system off a bit Bigtime. It's usually considered to be:

1. Shield Slam (doesn't matter if it's S&B procced or not).
    2. Concussion Blow.
    3. Shockwave.
    4. Revenge.
    5. Devastate.
    6. HS/Cleave rage dumping.

Revenge and Devastate are fairly close to each other but revenge is ahead and have way higher threat/rage. With the new buffs to devastate soonish I will probably drop revenge all together and get some utility
    points from imp. revenge instead.
    That's actually not right either, usually conc blow and shockwave are above shield slam. And using revenge is also dependent upon whether or not you are glyphed for devastate or not.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Ok thanks, you live and learn I guess.

Multiple mobs is really the weak point of warrior tanking atm (imo at least). The first thing I'd suggest is change your spec up a little bit.

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12021330113321

What I did it take points out of Cruelty and Puncture and drop them into the Arms tree to pick up a little better threat generation overall. Despite the fact that we have low crit chance from gear, we get a lot from talents (via Incite, Critical Block, Sword and Board, etc) and Impale means that we're doing more damage/threat on those crits. In addition, Deep Wounds means that on those crits, we're applying a nice bleed effect when we do crit. Personally, I run with a spec different in more ways than the one you have, but I'm trying to work with what you've got. Instead of Mocking Blows, pick up the Glyph of Cleave. I ignored it for months, and picked it up on a whim. Add a mouseover cleave macro or simply tabbing through will really kick your threat into high gear. Glyph of Sunder Armor can help as well (I'm a big Devastate fan, but haven't tried it), but Cleave hits more targets overall.

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12521330113321

I think a lot of people would advocate something closer to this, but taking Improved Revenge instead of Improved Disarm or Improved Spell Reflection. Improved Disciplines is dropped, because it only becomes truly useful with the Glyph of Shield Wall (it is something to consider, but having a 2m 40% DR ability isn't quite as crucial now that we're past Ulduar from what I've read).

For an AoE rotation, it really depends on how much rage you have incoming. For Heroics, where I often feel rage starved, I'll charge -> thunder clap -> move around until I have them in front (1-2s) -> shockwave -> thunderclap. Assuming there's enough rage (if not, Bloodrage if not on cooldown), use Cleave (you can even macro Cleave into your AoE moves, see below). When TC and SW are on cooldown and I've got little incoming rage, I actually will do little more than Cleave every other auto-attack or every auto-attack while tabbing through. When I have enough rage, I'm using every GCD for something, tabbing through with devastate or using mouseover macros (new to me, confusing at first) to stay on my main target.

Lastly, you could add the Glyph of Vigilance. Love it or hate it, an additional 5% threat off of the highest AoE threat generator and putting it onto you is a good increase any day of the week. Hunters, Rogues, Arcane Mages, Arms Warriors Death Knights without their threat reducer, etc. are all good candidates. Otherwise, you can grab recount and watch the first few pulls.

--

Just looking over your stuff, wanted to offer some gearing advice (one of the few things I feel I'm good with). First is to max your professions. Find a powerleveling guide (like http://www.wow-professions.com/wowgu...ing-guide.html) and get it done. Mining means free stamina, and Engineering gives you access to one of the best tanking glove enchants in the game (

Reticulated Armor Webbing, +885 armor!). In addition, if you like the +22 agility cloak enchant for tanking, the Flexweave Underlay offers an additional point of agility in addition to a parachute. The Frag Belt, while laughable, could add a little to your AoE threat every six minutes (I laugh at myself for suggesting it, but there are few other belt enchants, and they're only available to engineers).

Also, if you don't have an alt that's Revered in Argent Crusade, get the tabard and grind that shit out. +37 stamina and +20 defense head enchant is the best in the game for tanks, and would allow you to get rid of some of those defense gems. As it stands, you've got enough defense that you can switch out some of the pure defense for hit/stamina, defense/stamina (assuming you want the socket bonuses). Even aside from that, you'll want the Austere Earthsiege Diamond (+32 stamina, +2% armor).

If you're having issues on single-target threat and your rotation is good (lots of good suggestions below), you could throw some Guardian's Dreadstones (+10 Expertise Rating/+15 Stamina) into your gear, particularly your legs which would net you the socket bonus, gaining +10 Expertise Rating at the cost of +6 Stamina.

--

Sorry about the walls of text, tried to break it up into digestible chunks.

+ Reply to Thread