Thread: Simple question: Festergut vs. Rotface

Simple question: Festergut vs. Rotface

Our 10 man finally downed Saurfang last week and took a couple of shots at Festergut. We are mostly a 10-man geared group, so still trying to upgrade 232s, etc. As such, we're coming up against the enrage timer a lot. So, my simple question is, given that our DPS isn't urber yet, should we tackle Festergut or Rotface first? DPS is critical with Festergut. Is it worse, better, the same w/ Rotface?

Also - are either (or both) of these fights 2-heal possible? (Realistically possible, not theoretically so...)

Thanks

- Bron
    Last edited by Bronbowser; 01-25-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Rotface is more of a technical encounter than Festergut, it requires more proper execution rather than gear checking. On the same note though, Festergut is significantly easier encounter as far as mechanics are concerned.

As for two healer or three healer, if your group is geared like you say it is, it probably isn't likely that you will be able to two heal the encounters just yet. If you were a group doing ToGC Tribute to Insanity runs your healers may be more prepared and could potentially two heal the encounters. However if they are on the lower end of the gear scale, ToC instead of ToGC gear, then I would error on the side of using three healers.

Raids having trouble with Festergut's berserk timer should however focus on Rotface or Blood Prince Council as both are more execution based encounters rather than a DPS check.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbowser View Post
    As such, we're coming up against the enrage timer a lot. So, my simple question is, given that our DPS isn't urber yet, should we tackle Festergut or Rotface first? DPS is critical with Festergut. Is it worse, better, the same w/ Rotface?
    As Quinafoi points out:
    If you're surviving to the Berserk timer on most attempts, then your tank and healing squads are doing their job. That means your damage squad isn't pulling its weight.

In my experience, it's usually easier for damagers to max their DPS than to learn complicated technical mechanics. For that reason, I'd recommend sticking with Festergut until you get the damagers up to speed. It will make learning Rotface less annoying (and later encounters as well).

Your melee damagers get to stand still the entire fight (excepting for a double-spore in melee range if you keep the ranged outside), so they should be putting out great numbers. Your ranged damagers only need to move for grabbing spore debuffs, so their damage should be solid as well. Finally, your tanks should be taking advantage of the Bloat debuff to boost their damage when they switch from tanking to DPS.

Some DPS targets for this fight: 32k rDPS is what you need. 5.5k from your damagers and 2.5k from your tanks (yay Bloat stacks) is enough to drop Festergut by the enrage timer.

Also - are either (or both) of these fights 2-heal possible? (Realistically possible, not theoretically so...)
    Festergut: Not for a 10m group that doesn't overgear the encounter. The raid-to-tank damage shift is rough, and the size of the hits are very very large. Festergut is a major stress test on your healing squad.

Rotface: depends on how your healers do things and how well your team handles the mechanics, but 3 healers is safer. As pointed out already, it's about execution more than DPS numbers.

One thing to note, are your ranged spread enough that his ranged random "stun" is only hitting one of them? You need three (please check this!) at ranged so you can have some healers or ranged dps at melee for safety in terms of healing and if some dps suffer more from random stuns. I'd give Fester another couple of tries, just because it's easier to focus on one fight at a time (but not get too depressed by it), ask your dps to think about what they can do to improve - timing of cds, bloodlust/heroism, buff synergies, random stuns, too much time spent running around, upping tank damage while not tanking etc.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

My guild sounds pretty similar to yours. We're a 10-man only guild, although some of our core raiders PUG 25 mans. For Festergut we find ourselves having to use 3 healers at this point. For Rotface we got our first and only kill with 2 healers. We tried it with 3 for awhile but dropping down to 2 helped push us over the hump. It is very stressful with only 2 healers at the end--I was pretty much out of mana when he finally died. But it is doable with 2 strong healers.

Like others have said, I'd stick with Festergut before moving on to Rotface.

If my guild outgears the Festergut encounter, it isn't by much -- personally I don't think we do. We managed to 2-heal Festergut, but it required some carefully planned healer coordination to pull it off, and about 3 wipes to get it right. It was rough.

The healers definitely should be sporting some ICC gear before you try that, and your healers have to be really good at their job.

If you're curious, we used a resto shammy (me) and a disc priest. And, we didn't do it that way on purpose: we were short a healer and our only option available was to grab an extra dps. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    If you're curious, we used a resto shammy (me) and a disc priest. And, we didn't do it that way on purpose: we were short a healer and our only option available was to grab an extra dps. :P
    That's an interesting idea I may have to try out tonight. Our main holy priest recently switched to disc spec. I've always loved the synergy between a resto shaman (me) and a disc priest but we've never had the luxury of having that option until very recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
    That's an interesting idea I may have to try out tonight. Our main holy priest recently switched to disc spec. I've always loved the synergy between a resto shaman (me) and a disc priest but we've never had the luxury of having that option until very recently.
    Me and Sisterdesi (the disc priest) have been healing in raids together for oh, about three years. We're accustomed to working together, and I had a feeling we could make it work; fortunately, I was correct.

That being said, I think I speak for both of us when I say having a 3rd healer along would have been nice.