+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tanking T 10 Sets Getting Armor Buff

Well, right now I have 3 piece T10 and I have 585 defense skill, so losing all def on an item or two will still keep me over the no-crit cap. There's seriously so much defense on a lot of ICC gear I can swim in it.
    Everything is FABULOUS with warrior tanks again.

Huzzah, the t10 is still trash. I can now continue to use offset pieces without worry.

The hands still don't tempt me.

Ymirjar Lord's Handguards

2461 Armor
    +81 Strength
    +148 Stamina
    Yellow Socket
    Socket Bonus: +6 Stamina
    Equip: Increases defense rating by 71.
    Equip: Improves hit rating by 54.

Gauntlets of the Kraken

2308 Armor
    +120 Strength
    +157 Stamina
    Red Socket
    Yellow Socket
    Socket Bonus: +9 Stamina
    Durability 55 / 55
    Requires Level 80
    Item Level 264Equip: Increases defense rating by 63
    Equip: Increases your parry rating by 63

+ 153 armour
    - 39 str
    - 9 stam
    - one socket
    + 8 def
    - 63 parry
    + 54 hit

Now I will bare in mind these are simply the 251 tier but the stats of the 264 are tiny jumps in comparison when looking at the current values - 80 armour, nearly 10 onto both def and parry (before they removed it). Although the 21 stam increase is nice. I think the 264 will come out at +232 armour compared to the offset gloves, but still lack a socket, no parry, only + 12 stam, - 28 str and + 17 def. In short you can close the gap with the extra socket alone.

Bit of a mixed ramble but it's 3.30am : /

I'd say it's pretty safe to assume the 4-set (even at ilvl 277) won't be something dk tanks often care to use. I had been hoping to see some fairly dramatic change to the two set bits in question, but it looks like they just picked a random stat and scrapped it for armor. Nice quick-fix and i'm sure they've saved themselves a lot of headache by not buffing t10 to the point where people would WANT refunds on their offset gear, but still a bit sad.

Don't forget that the badge gauntlets are getting an AC upgrade aswell;

I forgot to add that Gauntlets of the Kraken are changing slightly as well:

Current Vendor Armor
    • Gauntlets of the Kraken

2308 Armor
      120 Strength
      157 Stamina
      Red Socket
      Yellow Socket
      Equip: Increases defense rating by 63.
      Equip: Increases your parry rating by 63.

Updated Vendor Armor
    • Gauntlets of the Kraken

2658 Armor
      120 Strength
      157 Stamina
      Red Socket
      Yellow Socket
      Equip: Increases defense rating by 63.
      Equip: Increases your parry rating by 48.
    The above taken from the blue tracker on MMO.
    For me it's not really a problem at all. Kraken will still be superior to the T10 gauntlets, badge chest is "kinda" needed for the expertise and Pillars of Might simply outperforms Tier10.
    The only thing that i'm considering, is whether or not its a good idea to simply skip the badge items and go for tier items since the upgraded version will be better than their badge counterparts. Initially the badge items are stronger, but they're not really needed so spending 300'ish badges on them might be a waste? :S

So why all the knee jerk reactions lately?

If the 264 pieces were so out of line why not just reduce the amount of armor on them to suit their ilvl? Why the further homogenization of gear? Was a pretty simple choice before if you ask me, take the offset pieces if you wanted the armor or the tier pieces if you wanted more well rounded stats. I guess some of the people who bought the T10 gear couldn't be stuffed waiting for emblems (which in a month or so we're going to be swimming in) to work on a offset.

Wouldn't the T10 chest now be the first time a prot wars tier item hasn't had defence rating?

Yes, it would be. And it's not a good idea.

They should have just sacrified the Parry Rating and a few points of Dodge Rating. Removing the Defense is just bizzare.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

This change has me totally scratching my head as well. I still remember back in T7 and T8 days when we complained that their itemization sucked, there were blue responses saying basically that it was intentional and that itemization improvements would be appearing in later tiers as part of the incentive. Could be the plan changed. *shrug* I don't think Bliz is saying that the non-tier pieces were above item budget, they just realized that they did an abnormally-good job of itemizing them compared to the tier gear.

Unfortunately, I actually kind of liked the differences. My plan was to do something along the lines of picking up non-tier gear for armor/EH fights and tier gear for avoidance fights. So much for that idea.

The more i think about it, the more set i get on buying the badge chest. belt, cloak and get tier10 head, shoulders, gauntlets, legs. It's gonna be roughly 1.4k armor below other tanks who go for the offset pieces, but its gonna be with a heck more defense (which i simply love) and raw avoidance stats not to mention a 4piece warrior set bonus which does seem to have its uses - 12k absorbs every 1min is not something to overlook imo, but quite situational to be optimal.

I laughed pretty hard when i noticed the gloves still had exorbatant amounts of HIT on them, and my chest still has a +6 str socket bonus. If this was a knee-jerk reaction, then they just rammed their loafer into their own mouth. In no way will t10 be useful to any deathknight, and I have my doubt about warriors and paladins. Plain and simple, the t10 has been terribly itemized to match t10 level boots/belts/bracers/jewlery in terms of stats. Sure, you can put on some of the expertise-laden togc loot and patch the holes t10 leaves, but why dip into that level of gear when the 264 chest from badges (along with a few gems and some icc drops) can soft cap you easily? Same thing for the gloves. Stats I don't want vs. stats on offset gear that I do want.

Long story short: it's still and obvious decision. Even going into ilvl 277 I find it pretty hard to swallow that DKs will swap to t10 at all. The 2-set might as well not exist, and the 4-set takes over so many invaluable slots for other stats that the opportunity cost in terms of stam, armor, and expertise is forbidding.

I still prefer the gear from the frost vendor. I really don't think it's worth it just yet for the 4 pieces bonus, yet. If you picked up the frost gear already, relax, it's still the right choice imo. The 277 tier is obviously better, but it will be a couple more weeks before we get to that.

By the time you decide to pick up the other 2 pieces of the tier (assuming you got the helm and shoulders) you will have a butt load of frost emblems that you won't have to worry about it (assuming you run 10 and 25 man).

I know it's been said before, and quite frankly it's hard to know for sure without knowing the exact stats of the 264 and 277 tier chests and gloves, but I imagine the best route to go will be to continue using 264 Tier Helm/Shoulders with the badge chest and gloves and Pillars of Might until you have access to 4x 277 Tier tokens. At that point, you are probably going to be better off using 4pc 277 with Pillars of Might as the offset item, provided you have enough defense (which you should if you have that much 277 gear and don't opt for the crafted boots as well). The alternative, provided you could get your hands on a 5th 277 tier token for a pair of legs, would be to swap in the badge chest and use 4pc 277 otherwise for a fight where you really wanted to push more expertise without sacrificing EH too much. At this point in time, that seems like what I'll be shooting for. 4 badge pieces and Pillars of Might -> 264 tier helm/shoulders -> 277 tier helm/shoulders -> 277 tier chest/gloves -> 277 tier legs. You can add the badge trinket to that list somewhere near the very end, simply as I'd like to have it to play around with for a specific situation, but I see the Sindragosa25 and Putricide10 trinkets as being far superior in most cases, personally. That setup seems to give me all the options that I would want available to me once I have access to all the gear, and while I'll keep a general set of gear for most things, it will give me enough flexibility to make minor changes to my gear setup to react to different boss mechanics.
    -ItZMuRdA-

ya, when i was choosing gloves, it was between tier and krakken

and i felt i'd get tier gloves for threat, and 2pc, and more avoidance than krakken

WELL now, they are less armor, still less stam, and less avoidance than krakken, wtf did blizz do to this?

cant even talk about the chest,,, they give us crafted boots and legs with no defense, which was stupid, and now what? they think we can support boot/chest/legs and be over def cap?

seriously why couldnt they just remove 10 from each stat or something,,, but hmm 72 dodge for 800 armor,,, ya right,, and the chest, 80 def for 1k armor? something is just not right, i hope this doesnt go live next week

I just wish they would of thought this through before they gave us ICC in the first place. I mean changing the game down the road just seems like an oop's mistake now. I think the reason the 4pc isn't high on most tanks list because the lack of usefulness of the bonus. The warrior teir 10 4 pc is at best a single heal saved. Yah when overhealing is already happening doesn't seem like much of good item.

I would of much like it to be 10K-12k absorb for the length of the bloodrage. Heck cut it in half and give us the full duration of blood rage and that in its self is a very good CD for a warrior. Cut 5-7k for 10s plus blocking some within that time frame equals a hit getting by some where around 0-8k (avg 15k hit) all depending on talents procing and uses of CD's. Besides if the teir hands have more armor now then its luck that I am engy because I love my extra armor enchant i get even more now.

Just as a bit of information for you all - I had my badges refunded today for the Cataclysmic Chestguard. I had purchased it the day before this announcement was made. I honestly didn't care about my enchanting mats and gems returned, as that stuff I have a lot of, so I mentioned that in the message. I petitioned to get the refund last night before I went to bed and logged on this afternoon to 95 badges in my mail.

So for those wanting a refund just try asking for it, it worked for me.

but... the chest is still awesome.....

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I'm not denying the chest is still awesome, but until I know all the information of what the changes are I'm just going to grab the helm and shoulders this week and see next week how things pan out and what direction I want to go with the cbest piece.

fair enough, maybe i should've done that instead of get the chest and gloves (buying tonight)

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Who needs expertise, amirite?

While it would have been nice to have things right from the outset and made plans accordingly, I don't think I can say I have been disadvantaged or bought anything that will cause me to have a handicap... unless there is some (as yet, unknown) key encounter mechanic that favours/requires the 4pc set bonus. I've had a few good weeks of progression, and I know that having the offset ilvl 264 armor pieces instead of the tier pieces has given me an edge. With the set pieces requiring token drops, and a limited income of those across your raid group, it's not a simple matter to assume that a tank buying a tier piece early on is the best approach for group progression. As I mentioned before, getting both sets of gloves was always in my long term plan.

+ Reply to Thread