+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tanking T 10 Sets Getting Armor Buff

Tanking T 10 Sets Getting Armor Buff

From Ghostcrawler:

We recognize that many plate tanks are making their gear choices based on the amount of armor they're provided, as this is currently the most preferred stat. In order to make the tier-10 plate tanking sets more desirable, we will be adjusting the stats on the gloves and chest pieces in order to inflate the amount of armor they provide in the next minor patch. This will apply to all item levels of the tier-10 death knight, warrior, and paladin tanking gloves and chest pieces.

Similar items crafted or purchased with Emblems of Frost will continue to be very good and will compare favorably to all but the Heroic difficulty boss loot, so you shouldn't despair if you recently acquired any of those.

lol

Tanks:

"Offset > Tier 10."

Blizzard:

"Crap."

Developers:

"We can fix it!"
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

The problem with the pieces was not just the stats. On most tier the Off Set peices had better "Stats" but the Set Bonuses would outweigh the loss (Usually).

The T10 Warrior set bonuses are just not worth it this time. Even with the stat boost, although I can't say for sure, the Warrior pieces still won't be worth getting.

The T10 set bonuses are a hell of a lot better than T9. In fact, the only Tier that had a better set bonus was the 4 piece T8. Even then, a 10k bubble available on a 1 minute cooldown may in fact be better.

I'm not sure why you're suggesting they aren't good set bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Solemn View Post
    The problem with the pieces was not just the stats. On most tier the Off Set peices had better "Stats" but the Set Bonuses would outweigh the loss (Usually).

The T10 Warrior set bonuses are just not worth it this time. Even with the stat boost, although I can't say for sure, the Warrior pieces still won't be worth getting.
    The same deal for Deathknights. More armor on the gloves and chest doesn't mean much for several reasons:

1. Cataclyms chestguard is one of the few places to get expertise in t10 itemization (excluding the unknown lichking loot). The tier legs that have it will continue to be far inferior to the crafted Pillars of Might.

2. The 2-set is horrible for most practical applications.

3. The 4-set is still a tremendous stat loss, even if the chest and gloves get a big bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    The T10 set bonuses are a hell of a lot better than T9. In fact, the only Tier that had a better set bonus was the 4 piece T8. Even then, a 10k bubble available on a 1 minute cooldown may in fact be better.

I'm not sure why you're suggesting they aren't good set bonuses.
    Sorry, I should of made myself more clear.

The 2 piece Warrior bonus is great for threat. I will be getting 2 piece T10 to get that bonus. When I said the Set bonus was bad I was referring to the 4set bonus. When you break down the "10k bubble on 1 minute cooldown" it really doesn't amount to much. Unless a fight is implement that requires you to absorb X amount of damage to survive (Which Blizzard has said they won't do), the 4 piece just isn't worth the EH loss from using the off set pieces.

Fights may not require you to have an absorb like that, but I find it very believable that it could help a ton on predictable damage phases. For example, Mimiron's Plasma Blast would have been a lot easier to heal through if you had a 10k bubble for it. I would imagine Sindragosa is going to have a really nasty breath attack that will probably be semi-predictable or have a cast timer on it. Taking a 10k chunk out of a 40k breath is quite useful.

I'm not saying that it's the most amazing 4 piece ever, but I wouldn't call it weak either. It's somewhere between, and I suspect there will be plenty of uses you'll find for it if you ever pick it up. As for it being better/worse than the EH you can get from the offset pieces, I suspect it's not as good for damage over the full course of a fight, but it's a pretty good amount of on demand EH for one attack when you know you'll need it.

Actually mim's plasma blast would have sucked a lot if it was a 10k absorb instead of 20% reduced magic damage. 10k would have absorbed half of 1 tick then you're back to taking 26k dmg every second.

I do agree that it will nice (you just kinda picked a bad example), and really what I'm thinking here is that blizzard could give a rat's ass about T10.264 gear levels. The problem they stumbled upon was that the frost emblem chest and gloves were BETTER than the T10.277 gear. That's just not right, and they recognize that.

So basically, most people are going for Helm and Shoulders anyways. Now when you're in heroic content where you may need an extra cooldown, you're gonna pick up the chest and gloves eventually anyways because now they are upgrades, so now you get the best gear and the 4 Set and tanks won't be using 264 gear over 277 gear.

That's what's really going on here.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I've always planned to have a set of tier gloves with armsman to switch in for a threat set vs kraken for pure mitigation. Also worth noting that Torvon the Ice Watcher (new boss VOA) is also likely to drop tier gloves & legs, available this week, so if you get lucky they might even be free.

For warriors, the 2pc set bonus is a non-trivial threat boost and for fights like deathwhisper and probably dreamwalker, the snap threat will be beneficial. The 4pc absorb still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless there is some super hard hit that we can only survive with last stand + blood rage absorb (and even then, we'd probably use GS for that kind of mechanic?)

I am so mad about this. If they don't refund my emblems, I will eventually have to save up and use my emblems to buy tier, something I would not have had to do before (thus netting me more items for my dps set, or even primordial saronite[AKA: GOLD]), if they do refund my emblems I am still down enchant mats, gems and an armor kit.

It is just not fair.

They will tune down some stats on the T10 Boda, most likely avoidance though.
    Thus it will be basically the same armor, just T10 has the bonus of 2/4 set (AKA: its better)

I just pray they don't reduce the hit on my Warrior's T10 gloves. I'm already as low as I really want to go, sitting on 7%. Not complaining about the armor though, I debated for days on offset badge items vs. T10 bonuses. I'm still not even sure I made the right choice going for T10 bonuses first but hey! Best of both worlds now!

Quote Originally Posted by Churles View Post
    They will tune down some stats on the T10 Boda, most likely avoidance though.
    Thus it will be basically the same armor, just T10 has the bonus of 2/4 set (AKA: its better)

I highly doubt that Blizzard would increase the armor so much making it equal to the offset pieces, I just don't see Blizzard changing a tier set piece so that is identical to the offset piece. That being said I do not think they will add bonus armor to the tier pieces simply because it would A: Reduce the differsity in items and make the offset pieces useless and B: Screw over every one who has bought the offset pieces already which would result in a massive amount of QQ. At most I am guessing that there will be a couple hundred armor increase in the T10 pieces.

I don't get why people are so mad about "wasting" emblems. Remember, the old bonus armor gear is a wash against the new bonus armor gear until you get four pieces of the new gear to enable the 4-pc T10 bonus anyway. Quite frankly, it takes a lot longer to get four class tokens than it does to get 310 Frost badges. When ICC is fully available you can get 67 badges per week. That same ICC will drop eight class tokens, or less than a third of a token per raider. You will have the badges to buy your 4-pc T10 long before you have the class tokens for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xequecal View Post
    I don't get why people are so mad about "wasting" emblems. Remember, the old bonus armor gear is a wash against the new bonus armor gear until you get four pieces of the new gear to enable the 4-pc T10 bonus anyway. Quite frankly, it takes a lot longer to get four class tokens than it does to get 310 Frost badges. When ICC is fully available you can get 67 badges per week. That same ICC will drop eight class tokens, or less than a third of a token per raider. You will have the badges to buy your 4-pc T10 long before you have the class tokens for it.
    What about 2 piece, if I had known that they were going to change gloves and chest I wouldnt have wasted emblems on the offset hands and chest and would be sitting pretty on bonus single and aoe threat.

People want to make informed choices, especially when you have limited resources.

My issue is tanks study long and hard the best way to upgrade themselves. The conclusion after all our discussions and research was that the Badge items were better than even the ilvl 264 Tier 10 counterparts. So we spent our meager first Frosts accordingly with the feeling we were making the best choices possible to help further the guilds we tank for.

I'll wait to see what the actual adjustments are, but them changing things "mid game" if you will has an impact and right now it feels like a negative one to those of us who have already invested our early Frosts.

My frustrations lie in that they created this gear, they saw the advantages and disadvantages. This should have been addressed before 3.3 launched.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I'm not really upset by it at all, for me it does not change the emblem order and I planned on picking up T10 4 set eventually anyways. Like I said, they're not doing this for the 264 level stuff, they're doing it so that the 264 level stuff wouldn't be better than the 277 level stuff.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I'm not really upset by it at all, for me it does not change the emblem order and I planned on picking up T10 4 set eventually anyways. Like I said, they're not doing this for the 264 level stuff, they're doing it so that the 264 level stuff wouldn't be better than the 277 level stuff.
    Perhaps I miss read the issue. If they are only buffing the ilvl 277 version then that changes my whole view on this.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Perhaps I miss read the issue. If they are only buffing the ilvl 277 version then that changes my whole view on this.
    No, they're buffing all sets, but the 264 pieces I don't think will be better than the offset, and you've also got to look at surrounding stats even if they are similar. I'd still pick the Cata Chest over the T10 chest even if T10 had the same amount of armor just 'cuz cata has so much expertise and it's one of my only sources of expertise right now. But the REASON they're doing it is because as is, the 264 offset gear is better than the 277 gear, and that's probably not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    . But the REASON they're doing it is because as is, the 264 offset gear is better than the 277 gear, and that's probably not a good thing.
    That I can agree with. Guess will just have to see exactly what goes down with the 264 versions.

+ Reply to Thread