+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rerolling tank (pala or warr)

Rerolling tank (pala or warr)

Hello!

After playing healing classes(alliance) since vanilla ive decided its time to reroll as tank and keep healers as my alts (for now :P ) Ive done alot of reading on both pala and warr but i find it hard to choose wich class to go for, since ive always watched the YouTube movies i figured this might be the right place to ask this question!

So any advice on what class(and maybe even race) to go for?

Thanks! =)

Bobben

name says it all. a warrior is for killing more. where as a pally is another name for knight. aka holy protector. (tank)
    pallies were meant to be tanks. and they can and will tank anyway you gear them. Just how blizz made them from the get go.

this may start some disagreements.
    as far as the paladins being tanks from the get go. Its all in the story line. and if paladins had the rest of there tanking abilities in vanilla. why would you be anything else?

And a paladin is a knight. and knights protect. and to list some famous paladins in RL history..
    well the Templar knights..untill the king of France had them all killed on friday the 13th (the first reason why Friday the 13th is bad)
    prob where blizz got the talent shield of the Templar.

On my pally i have the same avoidance as a warrior if not better.. its just the gear. and if need be woot holy shield +30% block aoe tanking ...
    and now with the seal of cleave, aoe tanking as a pally is killing dps. hit 10k in icc on trash in the first room.

bad ass pally tanks. tank, cleanse, heal and all the other stuff pallies do all at the same time.
    Last edited by jonnyV; 01-25-2010 at 05:07 AM.

well, do you wanna play whack-a-mole all day with your spells having the simplest rotation for your tank spec *and other specs for that matter* and have amazing threat and amazing survivability, or does something more complicated, that pulls acceptable single target threat, with more fun tools and things you can do, appeal to you?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyV View Post
    name says it all. a warrior is for killing more. where as a pally is another name for knight. aka holy protector. (tank)
    pallies were meant to be tanks. and they can and will tank anyway you gear them. Just how blizz made them from the get go.

this may start some disagreements.
    as far as the paladins being tanks from the get go. Its all in the story line. and if paladins had the rest of there tanking abilities in vanilla. why would you be anything else?

And a paladin is a knight. and knights protect. and to list some famous paladins in RL history..
    well the Templar knights..untill the king of France had them all killed on friday the 13th (the first reason why Friday the 13th is bad)
    prob where blizz got the talent shield of the Templar.

On my pally i have the same avoidance as a warrior if not better.. its just the gear. and if need be woot holy shield +30% block aoe tanking ...
    and now with the seal of cleave, aoe tanking as a pally is killing dps. hit 10k in icc on trash in the first room.

bad ass pally tanks. tank, cleanse, heal and all the other stuff pallies do all at the same time.
    OFFTOPIC-
    What?
    No, really. What?
    "how blizz made them from the get go"? In vanilla paladins were basically buff bots and/or healers. In TBC they were healers or OTs at best. Their single target threat was very limited, granted they made good AoE tanks, but progression guilds never* used pally MTs. Granted in WotLK they are viable for any tanking role, but don't try to sell them off as something they weren't.

"they can and will tank anyway you gear them"? Again, What? That doesn't even make sense. If you want to tank, you wear tank gear. If you want to dps, you wear dps gear. If you want to heal you wear healing gear. Ever seen a holy pally tank? He's even got a shield. It lasts for about as long as the bosses swing timer.

*I say never, but I'm sure someone will prove a case for atleast one pally tank in TBC progression. Hence the reason for the note.

ON TOPIC-
    If you're looking at a strictly tanking perspective, its more of a choice between grape Koolaid and cherry Koolaid. Both are viable tanks, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Some people prefer grape, some prefer cherry. Occasionally one is better than the other for a certain situation, but not to the point where the other is unable to fill the role.

If you're looking at a total package, Paladin can tank, heal, or dps, all competitively. Warriors can tank or dps(in 2 different specs), both competitively. They have different toolboxes so may handle situations in a different way.

My advice would be to talk to some good warriors and some good paladins and ask them what they like and dislike about their class. What they see the strength and weaknesses to be. And by talk to I mean sit down with and ask questions, not just post on a forum, as you're bound to get nonsensical gibberish and it'll turn into a "cake is better than pie" thread.

Thanks Thaak! Thats advice i can work with ^^

prot warrior is the way for me

on the stand point of warrior vs pally i chose warrior is he better than the paladin, no but he isnt worst either depends on the fight , as a prot warrior i find that i can take just as good of a beating as a paladin yeah they have there bubble but we have a shield wall yes they have heals wich exceed a warriors but we have them as well and you have to realize that if your healer is doing his job you shouldnt have to self heal anyway the only trouble i have as a prot warrior where paladins tend to excell is in multi target agro while its not impossible it takes more work vs where a paladin can throw concecration on the ground and gen massive amounts of threats on everything in its radius. A warrior tank has to single target alot more i find myself spaming cleave and thunderclap constantly while tabing through my targets throwing devistate wich is a damage ability that throws a debuff called sunder armor. now while i have trouble tanking multi targets on boss fights i never lose agro on single target boss fights its hard to beat a warrior for threat gen with skills like shield slam devistate rend and revenge you have a heavy arsenal of tools to keep whatever boss you want occupied as for mitigation vs a paladin its roughly the same yes they have an ability to increase block as do we its called shield block and for 15 seconds we have increased block by 100% with a 40 second cd anyway i could go on and on all day and would be happy to if you have any questions ill also throw up a link to my main Nosmirc that way you have a spec you can glance over if you wish http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Savage+Blood

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go with paladin only because I'd rather have a heal offspec than a DPS one, so I could more easily stand in when we need a healer. Pugging DPS is easier.

IMO, that's probably the main difference between the two. Also, currently warrior's incomming damage is a bit spikier. Spiky damage makes progression more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    on the stand point of warrior vs pally i chose warrior is he better than the paladin, no but he isnt worst either depends on the fight , as a prot warrior i find that i can take just as good of a beating as a paladin yeah they have there bubble but we have a shield wall yes they have heals wich exceed a warriors but we have them as well and you have to realize that if your healer is doing his job you shouldnt have to self heal anyway the only trouble i have as a prot warrior where paladins tend to excell is in multi target agro while its not impossible it takes more work vs where a paladin can throw concecration on the ground and gen massive amounts of threats on everything in its radius. A warrior tank has to single target alot more i find myself spaming cleave and thunderclap constantly while tabing through my targets throwing devistate wich is a damage ability that throws a debuff called sunder armor. now while i have trouble tanking multi targets on boss fights i never lose agro on single target boss fights its hard to beat a warrior for threat gen with skills like shield slam devistate rend and revenge you have a heavy arsenal of tools to keep whatever boss you want occupied as for mitigation vs a paladin its roughly the same yes they have an ability to increase block as do we its called shield block and for 15 seconds we have increased block by 100% with a 40 second cd anyway i could go on and on all day and would be happy to if you have any questions ill also throw up a link to my main Nosmirc that way you have a spec you can glance over if you wish http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Savage+Blood
    First and most importantly, "rend"? I can think of one fight where I use rend, and thats Marrowgar during Bonestorm, and only then because he runs away, and since my OTs aren't warriors, they can't move as fast as me.

Secondly, Shield Block is 10 seconds, not 15. Its only a 40second CD when you're specced for it, its 1 min base. Granted almost every build specs it, but none the less.

Third, if you are attempting to present a case for something, in this case warrior tanking, please put for atleast a modicum of effort to make it readable. It doesn't need to be grammatically perfect, but I mean come on, you used 2 periods in that entire wall you typed.

Lastly, I know you're trying to help, but presenting a less biased case is typically the way to go. For example your comments on consecrate make it sound like paladin do nothing but stand there. No good tank just stands there. Some tanks have easier "rotations" than others, both for AoE and for single target, but paladin don't consecrate and then auto attack, atleast not ones in progression content.

One great way to make this decision is to look what's in your guild already. If you already have a couple of Prot Warriors but less Prot Pallys, go with a Prot Pally. See a need, fill a need. That will help you get into raid spots, because you can bring something that would otherwise be lacking.

Both classes have a lot they can contribute to a raid; figure out which will bring the most given your guild's composition and roll with it. You'll do everyone, including yourself, a huge service that way

First and most importantly, "rend"? I can think of one fight where I use rend, and thats Marrowgar during Bonestorm, and only then because he runs away, and since my OTs aren't warriors, they can't move as fast as me.

Secondly, Shield Block is 10 seconds, not 15. Its only a 40second CD when you're specced for it, its 1 min base. Granted almost every build specs it, but none the less.

Third, if you are attempting to present a case for something, in this case warrior tanking, please put for atleast a modicum of effort to make it readable. It doesn't need to be grammatically perfect, but I mean come on, you used 2 periods in that entire wall you typed.

Lastly, I know you're trying to help, but presenting a less biased case is typically the way to go. For example your comments on consecrate make it sound like paladin do nothing but stand there. No good tank just stands there. Some tanks have easier "rotations" than others, both for AoE and for single target, but paladin don't consecrate and then auto attack, atleast not ones in progression content.

OK 1. he was looking for pro's and cons wich i did
    2. you in no way touched on any part of his question
    3. what right do you have to judge anyone
    4. you pointing out nothing but negatives out about my grammar and opinion do nothing to help solve the problem so do everyone a favor and poor a bucket of water on your computer you suck at life

Nosmirc, this is the problem: Anyone comparing classes is going to miss something, and that will invariably stir discussion to further extend the comparison.
    When you do stuff like calling people out because they pointed your mistake, you're just being immature.
    I don't care who commited what mistake, but you are not free from them either. This right here is why this type of topic doesn't last unlocked for long.
    To all our readers: Before hitting "Post", or "Submit", read what you wrote, out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    To all our readers: Before hitting "Post", or "Submit", read what you wrote, out loud.
    To which I will add:

While only taking a breath when you come to a period or comma. When you regain consciousness, insert some punctiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    To which I will add:

While only taking a breath when you come to a period or comma. When you regain consciousness, insert some punctiation.
    I miss the Ace Ventura cartoons.

Ok yes while my aproach wasn't all that tactfull. I still stand by my point this site is dedicated to issues being resolved in oour characters and guild. That being said this thread was set up on the topic of pallys vs warriors in tanking. Now I pointed out my opinion, he did not, in no way did he answer or provide any insight into this persons question. If you can't say something positive and insightfull don't say anything at all. If you have a problem with me that's fine keep it to your self. This is the point I tried to make in my last post. I apologize for my borish behavior and will try to not let it happen in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    OK 1. he was looking for pro's and cons wich i did
    2. you in no way touched on any part of his question
    3. what right do you have to judge anyone
    4. you pointing out nothing but negatives out about my grammar and opinion do nothing to help solve the problem so do everyone a favor and poor a bucket of water on your computer you suck at life
    1. No you didn't. You spewed some biased, barely legible drivel, which is the exact reason class comparisons are frowned upon here at TankSpot.
    2. If you actually read the thread, you would know that I posted a response to him prior to your first post in this thread, so yes, I did in fact reply to him.
    3. Please point out where I judged someone.
    4. Three of my four points were me pointing out flaws in your assertions of things. Your incorrect quoting of abilities CDs or durations, or your statements on other tanking styles. Only in one point did I touch on your lack of grammar, and I didn't even berate you for it. I merely suggested if you wanted to be taken seriously, you should put forth some effort.

ok woooowww! :P

Thanks for all the replies! And no need to go at eachother over a game ppl! ^^

Ive taken the advice and talked to some experienced tanks in my guild (both warr and pala, even drood), and looked at what the guild might need in the future. Together with the replies i got here it gave me a nice reference. (A m8 of mine even let me bash around on his warr for an hour and it was alot of fun)

I think ill go for the warr, pala looks great to but i already got 2 healers and this way i wont get sucked back into healing on my new *tank* char :P!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobben View Post
    I think ill go for the warr, pala looks great to but i already got 2 healers and this way i wont get sucked back into healing on my new *tank* char :P!
    My solution to that was to say "My religion does not allow me to heal".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobben View Post
    ok woooowww! :P

Thanks for all the replies! And no need to go at eachother over a game ppl! ^^

Ive taken the advice and talked to some experienced tanks in my guild (both warr and pala, even drood), and looked at what the guild might need in the future. Together with the replies i got here it gave me a nice reference. (A m8 of mine even let me bash around on his warr for an hour and it was alot of fun)

How come you haven't considered a DK tank?

I had a longer reply but teh interwebz kept eating it, and after 2 tries I don't want to retype it a third.

+ Reply to Thread