+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hunter Weapon and Gear Enchants and Gems

Hunter Weapon and Gear Enchants and Gems

Hey a friend of mine has achieved level 80 and finally has some good weapons and gear my question now is what enchants and Gems should he be using. Most importantly his weapons i was thinking mongoose on his 2 daggers he is using. but i am not sure if its worth the money seeing as i do not know if they will proc while using his bow. and to make matters worst im not overtly familiar with the class. if someone would be so kind as to post an armory link for examples and ideas that would be great also but all feed back is welcome thanks alot -Nosmirc-

I can direct you to www.warcrafthuntersunion.com, which for me is the standard when it comes to hunter information.
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

An armory link would be useful.

Other than this, goose only procs afaik with the weapon its cast on hitting.

Hence nope, they will not proc from ranged.

He is better of getting a stat stick 2h Polearm and poping +110 AP enchant on it.

He should favour geming for AGI, INT, STA in that order - with INT swapping places with STA depending on MM or SV spec - depending on spec.

He should favour AP enchants on rest of gear with the exceoption of AP & Crit patch on legs, and +10 to all stats on chest.

BM is not a raiding spec anymore sadly, so he has only 2 viable ones, MM or SV, with the later being a bit more oriented to AGI/AP and the former being more needful of INT/Mana to provide even DPS results.

Your pet in all 3 specs represents 10 to 20% of your overall dps, so talenting it right is a must.

For detailed info go to eltistjerks.com or ask a Marmot to open up a Hunter DPS guide in these forums, unlikely as that might sound, if there was one, and it was allowed Id willingly post my guides there for the hunters.

For one hander enchants use +26Agi, or +25hit/crit(Accuracy) If not hit capped.
    For 2 hander +110 atp.
    Mongoose/Berserking etc., will not proc, as they only proc on melee hits, and I'm hoping he's not trying to be a melee hunter.

Survival tends to be a bit more forgiving for less geared hunters, and MM really shines once you get some better gear.

As far as gems, +20Agi is a pretty safe way to gem, provided you are hit capped.(8%) To get the most out, you need your SEP values so you can determine if socket bonuses are worth picking up.

Wolf is the best pet from a raiding standpoint.

Best thing I can tell you to do is go to "femaledwarf.com". Its the hunter spreadsheet from EJ put into a webpage. It lets you import your character from armory, and pulls your talent spec and gear so you don't need to input all that manually. You can select what raid buffs/debuffs you have available to you, calculate out a theoretical DPS based on your gear/talents. You can swap out gear on that page, and turn on/off buffs, and even swap talent points around to see how they will effect your dps. Make sure you "Enable Common Shot Rotation" or the values won't be accurate at all. Also, don't be suprised if you can't make it to the DPS value the page says you can hit, as that is assuming a standstill fight, i.e. patchwerk. The more effort you put into setting the buffs/debuffs right, and the settings such as latency and fight length, the more accurate your results will be.

Also, if you provide an armory link, we can help more.

I am the hunter in question. Armory: Belabia - Burning Blade
    Thanks so much for the advice guys I will try different combinations and see what works best. If you see anything in my Talents, Enchants, Glyphs or other please feel free to let me know how i can improve. I am always looking for ways to improve.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ade&cn=Belabia
    Last edited by Belabia; 01-25-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Ok of the bat here are a number of things which you may wish to alter on your character:

Things to know: 1 AGI == 1 AP and 1 AGI == 0.025% Crit Chance

Head slot --> Soon as you can get the Triumph badges head piece, get rid of the PvP one if you are going to raid or instance. Resilience is useless unless you are PvPing bg/arena.
    Shoulders --> Replace the +12 agi gem for an epic +20 agi gem as soon as you can.
    Chest --> Get rid of the +Sta enchant and replace with +10 to all stats as soon as you can. The second chest gem should be replaced by equivalent epic or another +20 agi as soon as you can.
    Ranged weapon --> Do some Pits of Saron in HC for the Xbow there and put a heartseeker scope unto it for +40 ranged crit.
    Gloves --> change gem to +20 AGI as soon as you can( AP & Crit chance gains are far superior than with mixed gems, also socket bonus is not something to worry about as it is too low ).
    Legs --> same thing again, of you are going to gem AP do so using a +40 AP gem, else stick to +20 AGI on both, its cheaper than the +40 AP gem and works like a charm. The INT gem you have in there is really not needed if you are talented right, which you are.
    Ring 2 --> get rid of Uruka's band of zeal and trade it for the badge ring ( Triumph badges Dexterous Brightstone Ring ) soon as you can
    Trinket 2 --> Get rid of anvil of titans as soon as you can, swap with Mirror of Truth ( badges ) or horde equivalent which I dunno what it is called.

For trinkets try and go to Naxx for Grim Toll, or get Mark of Supremacy ( triumph badges ) and couple it to Needle Encrusted Scorpion from HC Forge of Souls, but to use the last you need the badge trinket ( Mark of Supremacy ) to compensate a little your hit rating as you will loose some swaping out the +hit gems for pure agi ones. Thje net DPS gain though will far outshine the cost in changing all those things

The pets seem OK, I would allways use a Cat for personal DPS boost and change only to a Wolf for a raid boost if your raid is missing BoM or GBoM, otherwise dont bother with using a wolf, cat dps pets are more of a boost on your dps as a hunter than a wolf is.

Remeber in either case to put howl or call of the wild on manual cast on your pet bar so you blow them in conjuction with your rapid fire, kill command, and trinkets if any for a instant dps boost.

The spec in SV looks good, although as a personal matter of choice, and judging by your glyphs, you would perhaps do better if you swap the 2 points from noxious stings to hunting party, improving your own mana regen and thus reducing your viper time, which results in a net gain in dps as you will not find yourself going into viper aspect that often by doing so, and you will be providing extra mana regen to the raid.

The MM spec, well tbh I havent delved that deep in it since the begining of WotLk, Im still trying to figure out what my MM spec will be of I ever get round to buying dual spec for this character ( its way too expensive imho, but then again Im allways broke due to constant gear changes because of upgrades in 2 raiding chars ).

Anyway, you can have a look at my hunter's armory to check out some ideas and what you should more or less aim for, but remember that above personal DPS is contributing to the raid's performance and that sometimes means doing less dps so the raid survives better.

Here is the link to my hunter's armory if you wish to have a look, currently I have a couple of items i havent gemmed yet to use but as you can see, mixed gems should only be used if you need to fill in a socket for a meta requirement or to get to cap if you are under it. Wgich was the case when I gemmed this char's gear ( which has changed since then ).

I still have a couple +agi +hit gems on my char, but they are on pieces which are going to be replaced as soon as the new ones are fully gemmed so I wont bother fixing them.

As it is, I wasnt going to waste gold on fixing the outdated gems as Im putting in 2 whole new pieces or gear hehehe.

Fireridge's Armory

Anyway, I hope this helps you some and good hunting.
    Last edited by Glaive; 01-26-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Thank you so much for the advice and i understand what you are saying about the gems. The reason behind putting lower than epic gems in those slots is either cash or those are pieces that are going to get replaced. I have been running HPoS to try and get a new weapon but that thing will not drop. Had a buddy of mine tell me that just about everytime he has been in it has dropped, but it just wont for me...(sigh) guess i'll have to keep trying. Thanks again for the awesome advice.

There's a very good hunter's guide on this website. http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ter-Raid-Guide Crocstar has probably forgotten more about playing a hunter then I know - it's really worth the read.

A few things - do not gem for Intellect, it's a waste, your gear will have more then enough and you can raid buff with Elixir of Mighty Thoughts. Gem for Aglility, pure and simple once your hit capped (I've run with some very good hunters who don't even worry about the hit cap, and their dps would make you drool). If you're into socket bonus' (I am, I just like them) Red slots get Agility; Yellow gets Agility/Crit and Blue gets Agility/Stam. Unless your Beast Mastery, Attack Power is not worth it.

As for gear, the PvP trinket isn't much use, Resilience does no good for a hunter in PvE. The hit trinket from emblems isn't a bad filler until you get something better.

I question the MM spec, you might want to think in terms of the more traditional 7/57/7 spec. The Survival spec could use some work. You don't need the MM points in Serpent Sting, those would be better used as one on Noxious Stings and one in Expose Weakness (at 66% it procs a lot) and one in Hunting Party (again at 66% it will proc a lot; if it's not proc'ing it's a wasted point). For full disclouse, I don't use spec into Hunting Party anymore and I do spec into Serpent Sting in my Sur spec, but that's becuase I have the 2 piece T9 bonus i.e. my SS can and does crit.

Glyph-wise, I'd change out the Serpent Sting and the Hunter's Mark for Kill Shot (your most powerful shot) and Steady Shot (might as well buff out your rotation's filler shot a bit).

You're off to a good start and you can look forward to annoying all those Rogues and Mages out there by topping the damage meters.

My hunter: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...za&cn=Wharfrat

Just some more advice to consider. You've taken two (2) points in Focused Aim, yet you are also gemming hit. You don't need to do both - either gem/enchant hit or take focused aim. My personal preference is to keep the two points in focused aim and to stack +20 AGI gems everywhere, except for two (2) slots to fill the meta requirement. As you currently stand, you have 8.48% hit with your current gear and enchants + 2% hit from Focused Aim. You've severly gimped your dps because of your overstacking of hit. You need 264 hit - no more, and definitely not less. While you will rarely, if ever, get the hit cap on the dot, you want to be as close as possible (yet, over) as you can. Additionally, if your going to raid Survival, drop the +32 AP gem in your helm and as previously stated get the +20 AGI gem. Again, drop the agi/crit gems and get the +20 AGI gems. You want to stack pure AGI as Surv. With respect to your talents, unless your pet is becoming focus starved, drop the point from Go for the Throat and put it into Hunting Party - in fact, you want to try to get 3 points in Hunting Party if possible - more agility + more raid mana = pure win. Also, you may want to consider dropping skinning and picking up Jewelcrafting for the JC only bonuses (+34 AGI gems are also pure win). However, in order to not cost you an arm and a leg, it is beneficial to have a high level mining alt to gather your ores. Lastly, although BRK has retired, his forums are still active and I would suggest that site (http://www.bigredkitty.net/forums/index.php) as a good hunter site (as well as the others mentioned in this post). Although my gear/talents on my hunter are in a transition phase, you can check him out at http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...or&cn=Phlegger to get some additional ideas.

P.S. I concur with Theo in dropping the Hunter's Mark glyph and replacing with Kill Shot. Kill Shot is a must. With respect to the replacing of Serpent Sting with Steady Shot, I would concur as well - with my only caveat being that if you were running with 2 pieces of Tier 9, the glyphed serpent sting DPS bonus is undeniably good - especially if you also had the two (2) pieces of Tier 9.25 gear (or whatever the Windrunner's set is).
    Last edited by Cybelis; 01-26-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added post-script
    Cybelis - 80 Protection Warrior - Kirin Tor US
    http://siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/6/5/0/...65061ucBwf.png

Once again guys thanks for the very detailed break down. I have started to re-gem the pieces that are 232 or better anything less i am not really going to worry with until those items are replaced. I have also dropped MM for BM which is going to be my PvP spec so the PvP armor i have now will not go to waste.And as far as dropping skinning there are not enough skinners in my guild to validate that just yet but we have an abundance of JC in guild that will cut for me as well as Alchemist that will transmute gems to epics for me. The 2 points from focused aim are going to be put into Lethal shot to max that one out. That is where those 2 points originally belonged and i only put them into focused aim because at the time i wasn't hit capped. However looking again the one point in hunting party and expose weakness does look better. The only thing i am gemming hit with is my belt and it is getting replaced as soon as i can so all of my hit rating is coming from gear. And i will get glyph of kill shot but i have opted to take glyph of viper to increase mana regen when in that aspect because i blow through mana like its a case of beer LOL. Thanks again for the advice and happy hunting.

If mana regen is an issue in 5-mans, consider running with a cunning pet that has been specced into roar of recovery.

In raids, you should have less trouble with mana regen, and you can use a ferocity pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Belabia View Post
    And as far as dropping skinning there are not enough skinners in my guild to validate that just yet but we have an abundance of JC in guild that will cut for me as well as Alchemist that will transmute gems to epics for me.
    While the needs of your guild come first, my suggestion for switching to JC was based not upon the fact of the cost of gems, ease of getting cuts, etc., but more in line with the fact that only as a JC can you equip up to three +34 AGI gems instead of +20 AGI gems, netting you a whopping gain of +42 AGI in three gems (the equivalent of two additional +20 AGI gems).
    Cybelis - 80 Protection Warrior - Kirin Tor US
    http://siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/6/5/0/...65061ucBwf.png

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    If mana regen is an issue in 5-mans, consider running with a cunning pet that has been specced into roar of recovery.
    I do it a bit differently in 5 mans with my hunter. The second you drop out of combat, switch to viper, so you are gaining mana between pulls, and then switch back to dragonhawk immediately before you enter combat. You'd be suprised the amount of mana you can regen that way. If that isn't enough make sure you carry a couple stacks of drinks with you and drink for a couple seconds between pulls. You don't need to drink all the way to full, just grab a couple thousand mana and then run to catch up with the group. You may be "wasting drinks" but you'll your dps/damage done will be better from not using viper as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaak View Post
    ...The second you drop out of combat, switch to viper, so you are gaining mana between pulls, and then switch back to dragonhawk immediately before you enter combat...
    I actually do both on my hunter.

If the tank is speed pulling, there's not always much time between pulls, so I find aspect dancing + cunning pet = win.

Whatever works for ya, though... I was just throwing it out as an option.

I don't even worry about mana in 5 mans, go viper; doesn't really matter about dps in 5 mans, so you drop a bit on some trash, no biggie.

Since we've seen the new cata weapon enchants i was wondering what I should get (class is a hunter) for a weapon enchant. Granted i know we're not in Cata quite yet but I'm wondering cause all the descriptions I've heard for the weapons are procs when you deal "melee damage or casting spells." Could anyone clarify this for me, cause I wanna say that it should proc since hunters do ranged melee damage, but If anyone can confirm then it should but my fears to rest and i should be able to find which enchant should be good for me.

A new threat for this over in the Cata Beta part of the form might be more conductive to what you are looking for.
    Especially since resurrecting a thread that is almost a year old that pertains to the pre 4.0.1 stuff doesn't even come close.

+ Reply to Thread