+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to tab target/swab targets efficienctly

How to tab target/swab targets efficienctly

Just wondering how to tab target efficiently because a lot of time when im tanking its hard to switch targets because sometimes the mobs are on top of each other. Is there a macro that would allow me to switch targets so i can put threat on them? thanks guys

I use a TAB (or shift+TAB) to cycle through mobs (shift+TAB for backwards cycling) next to clicking the nameplates. There's a few very handy addons for managing the nameplates and I recommend you check them out if you haven't allready. Clicking the nameplates is by far the most exact targetting way I know off. When I want to spread out threat evenly I tend to use TAB though.

I know of no macro for switching targets based on priorities. Of course you can make "/target" macro's for specific fights if you think it might help you. Try out a couple of methods and see what you like.
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

I usually guide my targeting with tab and the occasional click. Though if i need to be precise i'll emphasize click or some kind of mouse-over macro and if i really can't see what the hell is going on for all the mobs, i'll tab. It's good to be proficient at both tab targeting and recognizing name-plates to click when need be. Also, assist macros, targeting macros, and focus macros are your friend. Find them (there have to be a dozen FAQ's on this website) and utilize them whenever you can. It makes life easier.

I prefer to bring up the mob nameplates (V) and click through them while doing my rotation. A mod like Tidy Plates works well for giving you a visual way to prioritize which mobs to give some extra attention - as well as having a more visible castbar for interrupting in a pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Usually I don't actually try to find targets with the "next target" keybind (default to Tab), I *will* use tab to quickly pick up the first target standing in front of me.

For swapping targets for threat purposes in a group, I have all my moves keybound (no clicks), and I use over-head health frames to click the target I want. I find it much easier to be quick and precise. There is the rare occasion though where there is something that blocks your clicks like a giant raid boss, so tab may still be needed, just as an exception, not a rule.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I also click name-plates (enhanced by tidyplates - Threatplates). There are a couple of reasons I prefer this:

1. All my abilities are keybound. Chances are if I'm pressing Tab, I'm not pressing threat buttons.
    2. Tab targeting requires you to cycle through mobs till you get to the one you want, click targeting allows you to directly click your target.
    3. It's possible to select un-aggro'd mobs with tab; while it is also possible to do so by clicking, the chances are much reduced.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Tidy Plates is a great addon to use. Mob plates that you don't have aggro on grow in size with a yellow border making it really easy to click the plate and taunt if you need to. Here is a screen shot of it in action:

wowscrnshot011310194950.jpg

With tidy plates, how much are you changing in the options for the addon? Or is the standard DL work just fine. Any tips would be appreciated.

I use it out of the box. Just make sure tank mode is on.

Drae

Mad Tabula Raarsa

I have a really high typing speed (I once got clocked at 120 WPM data entry, 84 WPM typing on a clerical proficiency test), so YMMV on this.

Whenever I'm tanking, I have off to one side the Skada threatmeter (Omen used to require everyone have Omen, whereas Skada shows people as long as they're in your party/raid). So while I'm tanking, I'm looking at three things:

Vuhdo or Xperl displays of the group. If anyone is showing in red highlights that is not me, someone else is taking damage.

Pressing tab multiple times in rapid succession cycles me through the mobs and shows me who is over me (taunt key time), or who is close (stay on that mob, mangle/lacerate/maul until I push them down past 60% threat), then move on to the next. Other than that, I'm constantly spamming Swipe or staying on the lowest-health target. While I -can- shift-tab to back up one, I find it's actually faster to go tab-tab-tab to get back around to the mob again if I overshoot. Tab targeting does not use up your global cooldown; all it does is take away one keypress from what I use as my default trash mob tanking -- Swipes.

Sometimes if I see people are consistently causing aggro issues with AoE style attacks, I'll toggle the enemy nameplates on (V key). Any mob that is close to falling off of me is highlighted in orange. I click-target that one and hammer on it until it stops glowing (or in some cases, just dies).

-Tielyn.

I use keys for all my abilities so Tab was awkward in clutch situations. I moved the Tab functionality to my mouse wheel - I just roll forward or back to go through mobs. My camera is on Shift+mousewheel since it is less critical. It helps that the mouse I use has a pretty stiff wheel so it's easy to go one target at a time and really easy to go back one if I overshoot.

thanks guys these were all great suggestions. Just wondering if you guys know of any other helpful macros for warrior aoe tanking/ tab target tanking. Thanks again

Hi

I'm a noob tank and I've always wondered whether to click abilities and move with awsd or bind them to keyboard. I've asked around and the answers differ. I see here several of you have them binded and my question is, how do you move? Mouse moving doesnt do its work if you have to face the boss and position it moving backwards... Are you using both hands in the keyboard (i assume no since you mentioned clicking). Im used to bind and mouse movement on my healer, but I cant see it working on a tank, please prove me wrong...

Key bind EVERYTHING.

Turning is with the mouse. The only movement keys I have bound are strafe, back and forwards. (actually bound to the thumbstick on a n52te Speedpad).

Drae

Hi I switched to move with the side wheel on my mouse a while ago and it works fine and gives me a lot more space for actions on the keyboard.
    Prior to this my movement was key bound to esdf instead of wasd so giving you the key around the movement keys:
    qwrty
    agh
    zxcvb

Depending on your keyboard you can use these plus modifiers to use almost every thing you need.
    Though I've read of some tanks that do just fine using two hands on the keyboard, I too think turning is best done with the mouse. Especially as you can position your camera with the mouse fast what is good to keep an eye on the battlefield or dodge some of those great environment objects hanging down from dungeon ceilings that tend to block your view in the most dangerous moments .

By the way what do you think of the "new" behavior of the nameplates?
    I sometimes find myself targeting stuff that is in another room cause the nameplates are visible. Not a major issue, but sometimes a bit distracting.
    In addition I do not really know what to make of the overlapping effect, it's great, that the plates do not swap around as they used to do and tidyplates + tankmode really helps seeing whats going on, but sometimes it's a little bit crowded in a narrow spot.

Key bind EVERYTHING.

Turning is with the mouse. The only movement keys I have bound are strafe, back and forwards..
    As Drae said, Keybinds are your friend. Also Tidy Plates has been mentioned; Cowtip can also be used to help you pick out name plates by flashing the target info near your mouse, rather than right hand corner, though this can get messy sometimes.

I'm a noob tank and I've always wondered whether to click abilities and move with awsd or bind them to keyboard. I've asked around and the answers differ. I see here several of you have them binded and my question is, how do you move? Mouse moving doesnt do its work if you have to face the boss and position it moving backwards... Are you using both hands in the keyboard (i assume no since you mentioned clicking). Im used to bind and mouse movement on my healer, but I cant see it working on a tank, please prove me wrong...
    The short answer is: Do what works for you.

The other answer:

It is recommended that you don't use your left/right/up/down keys for movement (assuming your right handed) simply because its a slower method of turning, requires 2 hands on the keyboard (your left hand will be spamming 1's 2's etc) compared to flicking your mouse around to spin on the spot.

You can play around with different setups. Alot of time I spend playing is refining my keybinds and UI so it suits my playstyle. You may just have to bite the bullet one afternoon and play around with some addons, otherwise there are loads of 'Pre-packaged' UI sets you can download from a google search that you can out.

For movement: a common method is to use ASD for Strafe left/Backwards and Right. And a combo of L+R mouse buttons to move 'Forward'. By unbinding W you open up QWER for various abilities. Some tanks even bind Heroic Strike and Cleave / various other abilities to mouse wheel, but personally I find that effects my camera control.

Also some keyboards (my G15 for example) comes with 'Macro' buttons that you can preset for things like Cooldowns / Stance Dance macros and so fourth.

Ultimately though; You could probably ask about 6 different tanks and get 7 different answers

I have always like using mouse over targeting... ie:

/cast [target=mouseover, harm, nodead][] Devastate

If you do decide to bind HS and cleave to your mouse wheel, you can easily change the mouse wheel to zoom in and zoom out when holding a modifier (like ctrl or shift) while scrolling.

Drae

Well all my abilities are bound to the num pad.... along with a ctrl and alt modifier for more than just my main bar...tab is very effecient for me to use because my left pinky is often not being used. If there are tons of targets and i can see the one I need to be targeting I will hit my mouse, it's easy to get back on the numpad because the number 5 has that little divit that you can feel. I think it's funny when people use the numbers above the letters on the keyboard, because at any given time you can't know what number you are pressing unless you press one first.... there are no divits up there... and then your right hand has to be in the middle of the keyboard too all the time making it hard to get to your mouse quickly when you need to.

+ Reply to Thread