+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I think I'm lost and y'all are my GPS

I think I'm lost and y'all are my GPS

Ok, so I've switched to a protection spec from a fury-level spec thinking that I would get some experience prior to getting to 80 and beginning the whole-heroic gearing up thing. Unfortunately, due to lack of confidence, I have not even begun to do any instances yet. You see, I'm unsure if I'm properly geared and enchanted and really want to avoid the embarassment of being totally "playa hated" as the kiddies nowadays say. Although I've spent a great deal of time reviewing the material on these forums over the course of the last year (much to my employer's chagrin, I'm sure ), it doesn't seem to sink in. Although I'm a huge believer in understanding the fundamentals behind stats, I just can't seem to grasp what direction I need to go with this toon (I'm also very goal oriented so I excel at discrete direction, i.e., get X defense, get Y stam, etc.). I mean, I know STAM, STRENGTH & DEFENSE, but after that it gets cloudy for me. If you have the time and willingness to help a Meatshield in Training and can provide some constructive criticism and pointers, it would be truly appreciated. It is my hope that one day I can provide the same sort of advice and help to others as well.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Cybelis @ Kirin Tor - Profile

Thanks, again, Cyb
    Last edited by Cybelis; 01-15-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typos, other grammatical corrections
    Cybelis - 80 Protection Warrior - Kirin Tor US
    http://siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/6/5/0/...65061ucBwf.png

For running Heroics at level 80, you are going to want to shoot for 535 Defense.

For raid content, that defense number becomes 540. This makes it so the enemies can't land critical hits.

After that, you'll want to prioritize Stamina over Strength. Try to raise your health to a respectable amount. If you have rep with some different Northrend factions, you can pick up some armor pieces that have good defense rating from them, otherwise picking up the Daunting Legplates and Daunting Handguards are two good pieces to grab.

If you have some funding, the Tempered Titansteel Helmet and Shield will be great pieces to pick up once you hit 80.

Until you hit 80, the 540 Defense rating isn't really as vital, just grab whatever Defense gear you can (the Daunting pieces I mentioned can be picked up at 77 or 78). Maintaining threat on enemies will be your primary concern. To help keep threat, you should always be in Defensive Stance. Thunderclap and Shockwave are both good AoE threat tools, but especially for groups you'll find that those two often aren't enough. You will also want to use Cleave a lot, and make sure you switch through your targets and hit each one with Devastates or Shield Slams, while continuing to Cleave and drop Thunderclaps and Shockwaves. Also, since it stuns, remember to use Shockwave to help you position mobs. I usually Charge in, Thunderclap, back up a bit so they all group together in front of me, and then Shockwave to stun them all.

The key to this is going to be practice. Find a group that is willing to let you learn as you go, and is able to help you figure out tactics, etc. A group of helpful guildmates is always a good plan for gaining experience.

Get to 535 defense before tanking heroics. 540 before tanking raids.

After that, your primary aim in WoW life is to stack stamina. More stamina. No, that's not enough, get more stamina.

Armor is good too.

Don't worry about avoidance (Dodge/Parry). It will come on gear. There are very few situations where an avoidance trinket is useful over a stamina or armor trinket.

Don't worry about strength, which will also come automatically as you gear up.

Gem for stamina, unless you're below the defense minimum I mentioned earlier. Ignore socket bonuses in most situations in order to stack more stamina. There are a few exceptions to that, but let's keep it simple for now. The Stamina/Armor meta gem is the best one, but requires you to get a red gem somewhere in your gear. Stamina/Dodge is generally speaking the best gem for that purpose.

Read Agg's Prot Warrior Tanking Guide for spec suggestions. Usually the 15/3/53 build is going to be the best all-around build.

Once you're done getting all the stamina you need, get more stamina.

Geez, prompt and courteous advice! You guys (and gals) are the best.

Thanks so much, I'll be working on it this weekend and hopefully will have some progress to talk about on Monday.

One more piece of advice that can be critical, especially when you're just starting to tank, is to learn to mark the kill order. Even if you only mark one target as the first to die, this will give you time to get an aggro lead on the other targets.

The dps won't always follow it, but it helps.

Y'all

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    One more piece of advice that can be critical, especially when you're just starting to tank, is to learn to mark the kill order. Even if you only mark one target as the first to die, this will give you time to get an aggro lead on the other targets.

The dps won't always follow it, but it helps.
    This is important. Listen to this.

Also, I'd love to hear your progress on Monday. I always love hearing new tanks reporting back on their progress. Makes contributing that much more rewarding.

Same welcome to the ranks of the tanks. I also agree that hotkeying target marks.. i personally just use F1,F2,F3 for Skull, Cross, Circle. This makes it very quick to mark targets or new adds in the middle of pull.

Other then that the above advice has you on the right track, one more important aspect that is often overlooked by new tanks is general knowledge of instances and encounters. How you as a tank tackle pulls and a boss is vastly different then that of dps.

Knowing the ins and outs of the all the fights does take time, but knowing the variables in an encounter/instance plays a good part in having the confidence to tank it. imo...

Quote Originally Posted by mangaart1st View Post
    How you as a tank tackle pulls and a boss is vastly different then that of dps.
    ^^^ This.

Having raided up to 25-man ICC on my main (a hunter), I can tell you that the perspective of looking at a boss from the knees up is something I'm not yet totally comfortable with! That didn't come out right at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Cybelis View Post
    ^^^ This.

Having raided up to 25-man ICC on my main (a hunter), I can tell you that the perspective of looking at a boss from the knees up is something I'm not yet totally comfortable with! That didn't come out right at all....
    Perv!!!

Ok, so I picked for my first tanking experience an instance I was familiar with (albeit as a ranged DPS, not as a tank) and which was much lower than my gear/level - Utgarde Keep. Was moving along swimmingly with trash, until the first boss - Kelseth or something like that. My add pick up was horrendous and my situational awareness needs much improvement. Understandably, I tend to gravitate toward my ranged DPS background and focus too much on the boss and not worry about the adds. I definitely need to re-train my mind to learn to pick up the adds and gather them together. In fact, in all honesty, I was having a great deal of difficulty getting the adds all together.....I spent far too much time chasing after them and trying to get them to come back to me. I was using my thunderclap and shockwave to help gather them together, but still had difficult establishing initial threat. Since it is a much different perspective I couldn't really tell if DPS was hitting the adds before I had a chance to target them or not - I think it was me not being able to pull aggro after the adds moved towards people. Now that I think of it, I do discern a spawn point and next time I will try to move the boss closer to that spawn point so I don't have to chase all over the place. Maybe that's the tanking light bulb going on over my head - use the situation/placement of bosses and adds to my advantage and anticipate rather than constantly trying to react and gather. Anyways, it is still very intimidating to me and I have much to learn, but I will continue to suffer through the growing pains. Thanks again for your help.

Thats part of learning to tank, analysis of mechanics of encounters and making adjustments to position to your benefit. Another way to tackle that problem is to have simply place yourself and the mob between the healer as they will usually have initial aggro when those mobs spawn. Doing this they run straight through you and with a quick TC, Shockwave, Demo should have them picked up with relative ease.

One of the fun parts to me about tanking is there's usually several ways you can contribute to the fight beyond just smashing the bosses kneecaps. Theres almost always more then one way to solve the puzzle.

+ Reply to Thread