+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In the 102.4% unhittable cap, why the 2.4%?

In the 102.4% unhittable cap, why the 2.4%?

I understand that to become unhittable, miss, dodge, parry, and block must hit 102.4% when added together, but why that number? Where does that 2.4% come ffrom? I have a feeling it involves the level of the boss, do they have a .8% chance per level to land a hit regardless of our stats?

Just looking for confirmation. I get asked this a lot, and I find myself short of the answer.

I did a bit of searching on the site before I decided to post. Didn't find a thread that hit the nail on the head. Also, if I missed it, it may be because it's seven in the morning in my town and I haven't yet slept.

Your statement isn't exactly wrong, just looking at it from a funny angle.

Basically, the core of your computer opponent's ability to hit you is based on their weapon skill (currently not-modifiable and is 5 times their level) versus your defense skill (not rating, defense skill is the value on your sheet).

The values you see on your sheet are the actual values you would get from an attacker the same level as you (weapon skill 400 vs your defense skill). If you're dealing with a higher level attacker, their weapon skill is higher (5 per level), and as such you lose relative defense skill as the baseline shifts up. The amount traded is 0.2% miss, dodge, parry, and block chance per 5 defense skill.

That means that every level the target is above you you need to remove 0.2% from each of those stats, or 0.8% from your total miss+dodge+parry+block chance.

The 102.4% is the total you need to *see on your sheet* for the *actual* value vs a level 83 (Raid boss level) target to be 100%.

Does that make sense?

So, by extension, a level 82 attacker would only require your sheet to total 101.6%, and an 81 would only need 100.8%.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I thought every hit added a diminishing return for the mob?

Where did you get that idea from? It conflicts with how the attack table works(the way Sat described)

I just remember a tank spot vid on the whole 102.4% and I now I can't find that vid. It was by cinderhelm I believe, But now I can't find that vid and it was before Uld.

Avoidance and armor are on diminishing returns, not the attack table. Nor do our hits directly influence other attack tables either.

thats what it was, then, thanks. I knew something had a dim return.

No current boss in game requires unhittable at all, so 102.4 is not the number to aim for, the number is 101.6, and then only if you are the add tank on Anub 25m HM. Once you obtain unhittiable vs lv 82 mobs (Elites on Anub HM 25), you should focus on maximizing Block Value.

Nothing currently in-game requires being unhittable.

There just happens to be one situation where it has a special value if you can do it.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No current boss in game requires unhittable at all, so 102.4 is not the number to aim for, the number is 101.6, and then only if you are the add tank on Anub 25m HM. Once you obtain unhittiable vs lv 82 mobs (Elites on Anub HM 25), you should focus on maximizing Block Value.
    Well some pallies can reach 102.4 outside of icecrown in normal gear. It's not a bad thing to check to see if you're at because that means that every hit will be mitigated by some value, but I agree you shouldn't really be reaching for unhittable unless you are solo tanking H-Anub25 adds.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

It's because bosses are higher level, your stats are shown as "against level 80 attackers", so against a level 83 attacker the stats required are higher.

+ Reply to Thread