+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diminishing returns on Ilvl points spent

Diminishing returns on Ilvl points spent

Hi there!

Thought I'd go out on a limb here and ask, perhaps for some, quite a noobish question. However, I cant for the life of me really understand it's meaning nor have I found a proper explanation for this either.
    So if anyone would be so kind and explain this for me, in layman terms if you will...

Copied and pasted from EJ:

Crit is always valuable, although less so once you break 30% raid-buffed (diminishing returns on ilvl points spent).

We're talking holy priest here. What does diminishing returns on ilvl points spent mean?

Thanks in advance for any proper explanation!

Think of it like this:

You start out with 1% crit. You get an upgrade that bumps you to 2% crit. Your chance to crit has increased by 100% percent, even though you've only gained 1% crit.

Now say you have 30% crit. You get an upgrade that bumps you to 31% crit. Your chance to crit has increased by only 3.3% (Hope my math is right there), even though you've only gained 1% crit.

I really think my math on that is wrong. I hate numbers. Anywho, the jist is the jump from 30% to 31% is a minuscule increase in your actual chance to crit comparatively to 1% to 2%. According to EJ, this is a waste of ilvl points.

IMO, as a Holy priest you should shoot for 30% crit raid-buffed as a good baseline, then push haste. However, as always it is with healing, do what works best for you.

Thanks for the quick reply Spiritus!

Think I understand what you're trying to explain, though I fail to see how this is all relative to ilvl as mentioned:S
    Am I just "reading" it wrong, and that it's actually quite simple...?

I'll try an analogy.

(1)You have $100 to spend.
    (2)You have a choice of buying a pair of shoes or a jacket.
    (3) You wear one pair of shoes for every day of the month. You have 30 pairs of shoes.
    (4) You have one jacket. You wear it every day.

(5) If you buy a pair of shoes with your $100 you will only wear those shoes once every 31 days.
    (6) If you buy a jacket, you will wear it every other day.

Which item will you get more use out of for your $100?
    Last edited by Spiritus; 01-22-2010 at 06:21 PM.

It's more like:

If you have 0% crit and add 1%, you go from 100 -> 101 = 1% increase
    If you have 30% crit and add 1%, you go from 130 -> 131 = 0.77% increase

The more crit you have, the better SP/Haste give you (in HPS). Same goes for the other ways around. (tons of SP = very valuable crit/haste)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Healing crits only heal for 50% more.

So in actuallity...

0% to 1% crit is going from 100% HPS to 100.5% HPS (0.5% increase)
    30% to 31% is going from 115% HPS to 115.5% HPS (0.435% increase)

I would suspect however the 30% being quoted from EJ is a little out of context. I don't believe it is 30% simply because of the deminished value of crit itself, but rather 30% because of how often 30% will proc Inspiration and Surge of Light when they do their number crunching. Usually soft caps like this are based off of talents or abilities starting to receive a deminished benefit, rather than just how it actually affects your throughput.

You're right, gief 100% crit heals!!

I don't think Inspiration is a big thing anymore for Holy, as you will more likely have Disc priests & resto shams(+14% healing crit from talents and 25% extra on LHW with Tidal Waves) on a tank.

Part of the 'decrease' of value after 30% crit is also that haste/SP gain a lot from that 30% crit already. The more crit you have, the better SP & Haste become for total throughput efficiency and following EJ the balance at current gear seems to be ~30% (for holy priests).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread