+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOR HC interesting find

HOR HC interesting find

Joined a new guild an they are all fairly low gear at the moment so i helped them through the new instances.

Got to hor hc an tank couldnt quite handle the waves at start and after 2 wipes i suggest i switch to tank an we duel tank it.

It was and absolut walk in the park....i mean beyond easy

anyone else ever tried this never heard it mention before

Sure you could 2 man tank it. But there is really a simpler solution than that.

Crowd control.

Yes, the forgotten art that is CC really helps in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuma View Post
    Sure you could 2 man tank it. But there is really a simpler solution than that.

Crowd control.

Yes, the forgotten art that is CC really helps in this instance.
    Well when all the pugs ask "cc, whats that?" and the players who have a cc ability say "oh, didnt know I had that. never used it" it gets a bit difficult

Never tried the two tanks tactic but will suggest it next time I see the inside or HoR with no cc "capable" group members.

The waves are on a timer. If you can kill the waves before the timer is up (or as it's expiring), group composition doesn't matter.

A dedicated group wiping enough could find the sweet spot between damage/mitigation/healing to make that section super simple.

Unfortunately.. this is beyond LFG and pugs.

CC can make it very easy indeed, just ask your priest/paladin to CC the Rifleman or Mage. Kill the priest first.

In a PuG most priests will have to search their spellbook for Shackle undead and most Paladins don't even know what Turn Undead does or is. Also, I found the whole LoS-ing tactic by standing by one of the bosses is just not working for me. A few AoE's and everyone is dead, unless there's some overgeared healer. I'd rather just stand where you enter the room, let your group stand near the door. There's much more oversight and much more room to move away from flamestrikes.

CC is good, but not all classes or groups have the ability to CC undead. If you have a priest/paladin/hunter then that's certainly useful. If you have an arms warrior, feral druid or dps dk, then maybe instead of CC you can have them dps/tank something like the priest while your MT picks up everything else. So I'd agree with the OP - if your 5 man group happens to have 2 toons capable of tanking to some degree or other, maybe you should consider taking advantage of it. I don't think the tank needs to be ashamed of asking for help in HoR, there are multiple targets with annoying abilities coming in at awkward angles.

LoS in the nook is win for the first part. I'm not a fan off CC, more often then not the CC is broken and the mob that was formerly CC'ed eats the healer. Now I've been CC'ing mobs in instances since SM Cathedral was "the" instance; and I remember how to CC effectively, but the average pug today has no clue. I'd rather remove the risk and just tank it.

I do have better results in a melee heavy group when using the nook.

An interesting tactic I came across yesterday for the Chased by the Lich King part. Instead of running up the path away from Arthas, go through the doorway and stand to the left (the path is on your right) if you stand far enough back, Arthas will walk right past you and you can follow him up the pathway. Once you've killed the three packs his aura disappears and you can run past Arthas. While I don't see how this makes the encounter any easier, it definitely made it faster.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

In HoR there is only two targets that must be held by a tank, the mercenary and the footman. The others can be tanked by a plate dps, or even a healer if things gets out of hand.

Assuming the OP's group has the dps to get through a wave with only two dpsers, their gear is probably high enough to make heroic HoR a walk in the park anyway

What i am more interested in, however, is how the first boss is handled with two tanks. When i play my healer i know that when the debuff is up to 75%, it's a matter of time before people start to die because there is only so much time between each damaging fear.

To be fair we had an awesome healer it was just the tank was having trouble with multiple mobs that was causing the issue.

Our DPS wasnt particularly high me an other tank where around 1.6-2k dps an 2 dps where 2.5k and 3.5k dps

i think people where actually able to dps a little better with 2 tanks because it was less hectic an less poeple gettin hit by mage etc

for the first boss we didnt really do anything special. took turns to take boss an use cd's and healed through the fears. as i say tho the healer was on the ball

Whenever I go ret I know how hard it is to tank in there sometimes. Being that my main spec is Prot ( well holy is my major main spec and prot is OS ) I know just what to do to make it easier for a dk or warrior tank. Repentance and turn evil on the casters/ranged ftw. Unless the tank is really "on it".

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    Well when all the pugs ask "cc, whats that?" and the players who have a cc ability say "oh, didnt know I had that. never used it" it gets a bit difficult

Never tried the two tanks tactic but will suggest it next time I see the inside or HoR with no cc "capable" group members.
    Everyone knows that since TBC, CC has stood for "Continuous Consecration"

/boogies

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    LoS in the nook is win for the first part. ...

I am going to disagree with you. More for the debate than telling another tank what to do. Do what feels best for you.

That nook is, imo a death trap. You can't see anything. Hunters seem to end up doing melee rather than range, spell casters cannot get their first casts off until everything is on them.

I so much prefer being on the attack in the hall. Placing my range against the closed door by the walls and standing just where it opens up into the main hall. I've run this now over 20 times and the hall is so much easier.

Crowd Control (for those talking about BC ) helps a heck of a lot. Using the TC, cleave, shockwave to grab the melee that comes in for the casters, letting a DK do a deathgrip to bring in the mage or hunter, a pally to cause repentance or allowing a rouge or other melee dps to go after the mage seems to really work wonderfully.

Also. I love disarming the hunter. I had so forgotten about that until HoR and now it is back in my rotation again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joowa View Post
    That nook is, imo a death trap. You can't see anything. Hunters seem to end up doing melee rather than range, spell casters cannot get their first casts off until everything is on them.
    Also, mages love to drop flamestrike on that nicely packed pug hiding in corner, same deal with priests who run in and pop some AoE ability. I hate tanking this fight, but loving it on hunter-alt since I get a chance to use freezing trap.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post

I cant CC in that instance because they're all immune to fear

Almost tried 2 tanking it when it came out. I was dpsing on my warrior (normally tank) with a Paladin who was having trouble getting the waves down. But we got an spriest who told us he'll just use his disc spec to offheal. Which mostly ended up going to heal me, the arms aggro machine, but I did get a little reckless and went straight after ranged guys while the pally picked up the melee so I was sorta acting like an offtank (or like it was pvp).

Another time I was with a group that did the 1.5 tank equivalent. I picked up everything I could. While a hunter would MD one of the ranged to me. When that wore off, he'd pull, I'd taunt, then he'd kill it. He took a few hits for sure, but he could handle it and it made pick up sooo much easier.

That is until I learned the nook 'trick'.

The biggest limitation I've run into in HoR isn't tanking capability, it is occasionally lacking the dps to get through things. As such double tanking the first part isn't something I'd keep very close to the top of my bag of tricks.

I find the run-from-Arthas part to be even more dps limited honestly, so if there is trouble in the first part in that regard I usually just punt.

DPS is not a limit in H-HoR unless you're trying to kill the hallucinations last. The mage hallucinations don't count for the next wave coming. So if you kill the mage second to last, with its hallucination as last, the next wave will start spawning while you finish off the fake mage. Not good.

Also, during the Arthas chase, you can just stay behind Arthas and dps becomes a non-issue -_^ I keep expecting a hotfix of some kind to this, but while it works, you may as well if you're in a PuG with low dps.

I'm also a huge fan of the hallway, and absolutely hate the boss alcove. The hallway has all the benefits of the boss alcove and then some. Namely more maneuvering room for your ranged, a larger distance gap between you, the monsters, and your healer, and better visibility for everyone.

You guys are complaining that your groups don't know how to use their CC? I'm a priest and it's a fight to get people to even let me use my CC (both in HoR and in the ramp up to the cave in Pit...AND in ICC trash) and also a fight to get people to not AoE the CC'd person. How hard is it to just not put your aimer over one person?

The big problem I've had in HoR is super passive tanks who will stand in one spot. If adds are running around it's everyone else's fault for grabbing aggro and not his fault for having 0 aggro on them in the first place, amirite? I'm honestly tired of getting blamed for not being able to heal HoR by crappy tanks who let adds run around. "Death Grip X to me please" can either be the sign of a good tank who wants to grab the other mobs quickly or a lazy ass tank who wants to stand in one spot and spam consecrate and not actually move over to ranged mobs

I dunno, I prefer not to move on my deathknight, but then again... I don't need to move. I can deathgrip the hunter to me, and deathcoil tank the mage. Paladins can do similar, and is helpful for everything to always be in their threat puddle.

A warrior however, who isn't zipping around the place using warbringer to pick up aggro before bringing stuff back to the "sit here and kill" spot, is doing it wrong.

Two tanking has a flaw - the DPS race during the first boss burn phase. If you got not enough DPS during the reduce damage/healing section, odds are you will burn out and die before getting that like 5% down when your healers won't be able to keep everyone up.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

+ Reply to Thread