+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior tank losing aggro! HALP!

Warrior tank losing aggro! HALP!

Okay he's level 60 and was losing aggro in ramps by a frost mage and balance druid...I tryed to do everything, Vigilanced the druid and still lost aggro to him, Thunderclapped or shockwaved, STILL i lost aggro if any of you have any tips on how I might establish my aggro a bit better please share!

Armory link please, as well as description of what you lost aggro on (example: "It was a trash pack with 3 mobs") as what you're tanking will determine what advice is given.

Okay lemme get the link, He doesn't have much tank gear, as in deff and stuff but I was told it really doesn't matter till you get up in the 70's..anyway here it is The World of Warcraft Armory - Gamelancy @ Nazgrel - Profile

And I would lose aggro with 2 mobs, I mean it's very irritating I tryed and tryed...

[EDIT]: It was a trash pack and it multiplyed from 2 to 5 even throughout the fights with the bosses i would have to work hard to get it back
    Last edited by Gamelancy; 01-21-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Don't get discouraged, tanking takes practice to get the right feel for it, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

You're right about not needing much gear for the normal Outland instances, they can mostly be done in a mix of quest gear and blues.

If you're having problems on holding aggro with more than one target, make sure instead of Heroic Strike you use Cleave and always use Thunderclap and Shockwave when they're not on cooldown.

It would be good to practice using the Tab key to cycle through targets (at a steady pace) as you Cleave and while doing that make sure you're using Shield Slam, Revenge, Concussion Blow and Devastate (Devastate when the previous abilities are all on cooldown) to distribute threat on all targets.

If you want a little bit of an easier time on multi-mob tanking, try using the Glyph of Cleave which adds an additional target to it's hit maximum.

Good luck, and I'd suggest taking a run through a low level instance (Stockades maybe, since you're alliance) and round up 5-6 mobs (or more if you need more rage) and practice keeping Cleave going while tabbing and using your other abilities.

*Edit: Forgot to mention, generally you want a fast 1h weapon for tanking (not a dagger though) because you can get more Heroic Strikes or Cleaves in, which is potential for steady threat. Slow weapons tend to be more "bursty" on threat generation, which can sometimes make situations worse.
    Last edited by GŁth; 01-21-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added weapon info.

Thank you so very much! This will help very much!

Hi Gamelancy,
    The following advice is not for end game tanking.
    I wanted to touch upon a couple of things.
    I am going to assume this is your first warrior and if so welcome to the fold! I checked out your armory and you have good direction on stats going so far.

Here are a couple things to remember tanking in outland was different than Northrend tanking where as you need to AOE tank a lot.

trying to jump in an hold threat on a whole bunch of mobs before learning some of the other basics can be daunting. (It's kind of like letting a 16 year old drive in nascar after they just got their Drivers license, Kind of works but they are likely going to hit the wall)

Start out slow with a dps friend out side of the instance. Tank one mob and generate as much threat on that as you can then step yourself up to two mobs then three, etc.

A couple of key things that are going to be high threat generators for you on single targets, Shieldslam, devastate, and sunder are just a few but some of the highest.

If I were pulling two mobs I would either ranged pull with a weapon or charge in using blood rage prior to pull this will allow me to shield slam the first mob tab to the second mob and lay down a sunder/devastate and queue up a Heroic Strike. then back to the first mob because that is who DPS is "Probably" attacking because that is who they saw you had targeted first. Now that you are back on the first mob release your Thunderclap or shockwave on the two mobs. All of this has now occurred inside of 2 to 3 seconds after you actually engaged the fight. Now that you have landed some hard hitting blows on these two targets you can continue to stack your sunders demo shout, cleave. You are going to have to find a rotation you are comfortable will but don't feel like you need to stick to it 100% There are a lot of Uh oh *$(@# I need to readjust strategy to compensate for either adds or someone pulling threat.

So lets speak about the first pull in ramparts, you have two mobs on either side of the bridge and a pather that walks back and forth across the bridge. This pull can be done one of two ways. Charge in when the pather is near the other two mobs thunderclap, stun one of them with conc blow or use shield slam and then tab to another target apply a SS or devastate on them and try to corral all 3 mobs into your line of sight for shockwave to hit all three of them. (Remember this spell has frontal cone effect only) You can accomplish this most times by putting your back to a wall this not only helps get the mobs in front of you for shcokwave but keeps them from stabbing you in the back.

It takes practice. If you do not already have a shield from outland I suggest you head over to honor hold and do those quests you will get a nice shiny new breast plate and a nice shield for tanking.

If when you hit 70 and you are still tanking, grab yourself the cobalt defense set. If you keep the following quest items added with the cobalt set you will be a healer's dream in regular nexus and utgarge keep.

Regal Protectorate Regal Protectorate - Item - World of Warcraft
    and
    Dabri's Enigma Dabiri's Enigma - Item - World of Warcraft
    and
    Grom'tor's Chage Grom'tor's Charge - Item - World of Warcraft

Cobalt set Plate Armor - Items - World of Warcraft

Cobalt Shield Cobalt Triangle Shield - Item - World of Warcraft

I know this is a lot of information but I hope it helps.

+ Reply to Thread