Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stam stacking even worth it?

Remember having a bigger health pool isn't just about the tanks.

If you have to watch anyone else, the tank having more health means I have a few seconds to get a DPS back to safe.

Quote Originally Posted by felhoof View Post
    And the best part? If you had swapped to your Anub block set you wouldn't have even needed a healer.
    It was in the bank and my jeeves was on cooldown QQ. I pretty much solo'd the instance as it was, it was stupid.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Lets clear some stuff up here. My comments are for tanks that have around 39k HP unbuffed, not people who are undergeared. Clearly HP is prime up to a point, but when I see a tank with 45K HP unbuffed and 8% less avoidance than me with trinkets that have a terrible "on use" I start to wonder.

One Saurfang doesn't hit harder, he heals for 5x what he hits. Lets say a taunt misses because you are that stamina stacking tank, you have 55K HP but you have 2% hit. Taunt is a spell so its already at 16%. Well then... that is 8 seconds more of him hitting you and healing. And don't say vigilance cuz not everyone is a warrior. In this case the tank who has the debuff would be better off having avoidance, expertise cap, AND armor rather then HP for reduced affect.

Sorry I meant High commander Saurfang on the Gun ship battle(not morgraine). His ability stacks when he HIT's you. So having higher avoidance increases your ability to live and the length of time for his hits to become too big to heal through.

Festergut is another case where armor avoidance and Expertise are better then HP(if you have 50kHP buffed lets say). More armour = less hard hits, avoidance = less hits, expertise = no increased hit speed from parry(which is already speedy as hell in 3rd phase), block rating = less hard hits, which are honestly going to keep you up longer against him if your healer fails, gets stunned or nuked, dies... whatever. High HP is just a huge mana pool for your healers to dump into.

The key here is to have a good balance and many boss abilities in ICC favour having avoidance over high HP. Once again you need to have a decent amount of HP anyways(38K ish before buffs), which you will have if your gear is appropriate for ICC.

Responses:
    The 51k HP tank:
    0.00 seconds: 22k hit, tank is 29k/51k
    0.90 seconds: tank receives a heal for 18k, tank now has 47k hp
    1.00 seconds: tank hit, now has 26k/51k
    2.00 seconds: tank hit, tank has 4k hp

You survived, and everyone else's healbombs now have time to land on you.

The 42k HP avoidance tank:
    0.00 seconds: 22k hit, tank is 20k/42k
    0.90 seconds: heal for 18k, tank is 38k/42k
    1.00 seconds: tank is hit, now has 16k/42k
    2.00 seconds: tank is hit, now has -6k hp (dead)
    Please make a good comparison, 52 and 42 K HP is kinda retarded. If you have a tank with 42KHP buffed in ICC 10 then you deserve to fail. The comparison would be 52 and 48 K with that 4K HP loss equalling fervor of the frostmourne (dodge and Armor) and Glyph of indominabilty(armor + dodge). Those trikets reduce the hits from 22K to 20K with 7% more dodge during there on use.... making the lower tank's (Effective Health Points) HIGHER.

You don't ask casters, "Do you really need more spellpower?" do you? =D
    haha .. i ask them that if there haste rating is like 3% but they have 3500 SP. Clearly a healer needs both to do the job right. A healer who has 3K SP and 20% haste is going to be a better healer because they can react. A healer with 40% hast and 2000 SP is the other end right?

So in the end... stacking HP is good to a point but at some point its pretty useless and mitigation, hit, expertise, and avoidance will keep you alive longer. Its all about balance. If you have 50kHP buffed and you are deciding between a stam and avoidance/mitigation trinket I would not choose the stam one....
    Last edited by pentor; 01-21-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pentor View Post
    festergut just starts owning the tank hard. When I die to Festergut it's not by that extra 150 HP my Solid Majestic would have given me over the Regal Dreadstone... its by 10K.
    You can easily survive his attacks on a 3rd inhale by properly using personal cool downs. Wait until he actually casts that 3rd inhale and use LS+trinket. A couple seconds before it fades hit SW to cover the rest of the time. I have only died once to Festgut 25 on a 3rd inhale and that was cause I stupidly tunnel visioned and forgot to hit SW.

Your argument is Avoidance v. EH, which is as as old as the game. There are people on both sides that have valid arguments but it really comes down to this.

Avoidance is a chance to do something at random, whereas EH will always be there for you (less the armor for magic damage of course, which btw you can't Avoid either). Which is not to say you don't need Avoidance, of course you do, but it is to say the increase you get from gearing for it will rarely be the reason you survive. There are some cases where Avoidance gearing makes sense, but these are the exception not the rule in WotLK.

A good tank will collect all sorts of gear to facilitate different sets. However thus far an EH set has served me well.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-21-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

The comparison would be 52 and 48 K with that 4K HP loss equalling fervor of the frostmourne (dodge and Armor) and Glyph of indominabilty(armor + dodge). Those trikets reduce the hits from 22K to 20K with 7% more dodge during there on use.... making the lower tank's (Effective Health Points) HIGHER.
    Might wanna run that through the calculator before making that statement.

So in the end... stacking HP is good to a point but at some point its pretty useless and mitigation, hit, expertise, and avoidance will keep you alive longer. Its all about balance. If you have 50kHP buffed and you are deciding between a stam and avoidance/mitigation trinket I would not choose the stam one....
    50k buffed? I'm coming up on 50k hp unbuffed. =O I'm also melee hit capped and expertise hard(parry) capped. I have 28.56% unbuffed avoidance WITH chill up. You're trying to make it sound like if you have high HP you have no other stats or something.

(Go Bears!)

One Saurfang doesn't hit harder, he heals for 5x what he hits. Lets say a taunt misses because you are that stamina stacking tank, you have 55K HP but you have 2% hit.
    Who has 2% hit? What gear are we using that trades hit for stamina? Who isn't glyphing for taunt if it's a problem on Saurfang? Who ordered the extra large family sized serving of hyperbole?
    Last edited by Bovinity; 01-21-2010 at 05:17 PM.

This thread is getting out of hand with hypothetical situations, you make one comparison to a tank with 8% less avoidance but more hp, then delve into an argument about hit rating? glyph of TAUNT exists for a reason.

Thread closed.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread