+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Vigilance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28

    Vigilance

    In your view, just how important is this talent? I keep getting asked to put that on dps members, usually in random pug groups. I have never had this point and am thinking of redoing my tree for it.

    Is this really worth it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    your moms house
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Joowa View Post
    In your view, just how important is this talent? I keep getting asked to put that on dps members, usually in random pug groups. I have never had this point and am thinking of redoing my tree for it.

    Is this really worth it?
    It gives you 15% of the targets threat. its pretty important

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    It gives you 15% of the targets threat. its pretty important
    It's 10% unless you waste a glyph slot on it.

    On saurfang, festergut and LDW, I put it on the OT. Otherwise it goes to a high-threat DPS. In 5's I pick whoever's doing the most damage.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 01-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    I like it and use it. The reduced threat can make a huge difference. One important feature thats also helpful sometimes is the refresh on Taunt.

    That said, I don't know what the consensus is regarding who to put it on. I had always defaulted to healer or maybe a threat-limited ranged dpser like warlock, mainly because it made my job easier (mobs I haven't tagged are less likely to run away from me) and helped me deal with problem situations. But lately I've been getting these ret paladins (every single time, a paladin) that treats me like an idiot for not putting it on him to begin with.

    Is this really how it's used by most people? I have a couple high dps pallies in my guild and they don't pull aggro from me, so it had never even occurred to me before the random LFD thing came out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    203
    I rarely use it in 5mans, there are a few occasions where I will (Bladestorm arms warrior comes to mind...) but it really shines in raid content where a lot of warriors drop threat gear/enchants/gems for survivability gear/enchants/gems and the dps just keep on getting higher and higher threat per second (TPS).

    Overall I'd say it's a very nice talent to have, regardless of raiding or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    4,413
    I use it a lot on Hunters. If there's no hunter, I'll stick it on a lock. If there are no hunters or locks, it goes on a warrior.

    Yes, I know Hunters have Feign Death. They still put out possibly the highest threat of all the dpsers, and even if they don't need the reduction from threat, I could use the 10% of what they put out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,405
    Highest dps does not equate highest threat. Paladins and smart dks have very low threat output, for example(presence/default reduction + 30% reduction). Warriors and Hunters are on top, locks a close second. Rogues third, and then roughly everything else.
    For aoe...unholy dks pull ahead, rest's the same, tho warriors probably still have an edge in threat gen there.

    So yeah, vigilance those guys in brown, green or purple colored names.

  8. #8
    I generally put mine on the highest dps for general use. For taunt swapping fights like gormokk, Deathbringer or Festergut I put it on the OT, and for Rotface since im the slime tank I put it on the healer with the most heals, as they have the potential to aggro the big slimes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by mangaart1st View Post
    I generally put mine on the highest dps for general use. For taunt swapping fights like gormokk, Deathbringer or Festergut I put it on the OT, and for Rotface since im the slime tank I put it on the healer with the most heals, as they have the potential to aggro the big slimes.
    Just putting Vigilance on a healer won't keep him from aggroing the big slimes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    75
    I always put it on whatever DPS is highest on Omen. Putting it on another tank on paper sounds nice, but they hate it; it's a tank thing.

    As a tank, even though I'm confident in my threat generation, I'm still very uneasy about it being put on me if I'm not putting my Vigi on the other Prot Warrior.
    "Humility doesn't remove the crown from your head - it shows why you deserve to wear one."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    That Place Above the USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
    I always put it on whatever DPS is highest on Omen. Putting it on another tank on paper sounds nice, but they hate it; it's a tank thing.

    As a tank, even though I'm confident in my threat generation, I'm still very uneasy about it being put on me if I'm not putting my Vigi on the other Prot Warrior.
    Depends on the tank. As a paladin and bear, I have some reasonably good TPS so I don't mind (especially as a bear, it likely means there is no BoSanc for 3% Damage reduction). For 2 warriors, its a wash, you vigilance each other.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Highest dps does not equate highest threat. Paladins and smart dks have very low threat output, for example(presence/default reduction + 30% reduction). Warriors and Hunters are on top, locks a close second. Rogues third, and then roughly everything else.
    For aoe...unholy dks pull ahead, rest's the same, tho warriors probably still have an edge in threat gen there.

    So yeah, vigilance those guys in brown, green or purple colored names.
    *Shadow Priests put out much more TPS than hunters and warr*

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    *Shadow Priests put out much more TPS than hunters and warr*
    Not sure where your data is coming from, but you may want to check it. Shadowform gives a default 30% threat reduction, whereas hunters have none, and Arms warriors only get 20% from battle stance.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Just putting Vigilance on a healer won't keep him from aggroing the big slimes.
    Oh no I totally again just vigilance doesnt prevent it.. but it goes a long way to helping me maintain threat off my healer. I did not mean for it to sound like all I did was Vig him. I still shockwave, tc, demo shout, heroic toss while kiting.

    Just helps on the inital pickup in case im not close enough to shield slam it before it goes active.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts