+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Blood Queen Lanathel

Icecrown Blood Queen Lanathel

You can find a guide to the heroic version of this encounter here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lore (25-man)
    Hi, I'm Lore from Tankspot. In this video, I'll be demonstrating the 25-man normal version of the Blood Queen Lana'thel encounter.

Blood Queen Lana'thel has both a very large health pool and a very restrictive enrage timer. To overcome this, you'll need to make efficient use of her Essence of the Blood Queen debuff. Shortly into the fight, she'll bite the highest non-tank on her threat list, dealing around 12,000 damage and afflicting them with Essence of the Blood Queen. This causes the bitten player to deal 100% increased damage, heal themselves for 10% of their damage, and cause no threat. Ideally, you want your highest melee DPS to be bitten first, as she'll run across the room to bite a ranged player, wasting valuable DPS time.

Essence of the Blood Queen lasts for 60 seconds, at which point it will be replaced with Frenzied Bloodthirst. Once this happens, the player's action bar will be completely emptied except for Vampiric Bite -- the same ability Lana'thel uses. Players affected by Frenzied Bloodthirst have 10 seconds to use that ability to bite another player, thereby passing the Essence on to the other player as well as refreshing their own. This has a cascading effect as the fight continues. Once another 60 seconds are up, both players will then have to bite new targets, leaving 4 players with Essence. Eventually those 4 will have to bite 4 more, leaving 8, and so on.

Should a player with Frenzied Bloodthirst not bite anyone within the 10 second timer, they will be mind controlled and must be killed. This is a very bad thing. Not only do you lose that player's DPS, you have to waste valuable time killing them, and have one less player spreading the Essence debuff. For those reasons, failing even one bite practically guarantees a wipe unless you significantly outgear the DPS requirement.

It's also important to note that everyone has to bite someone different. Aside from the need to spread the Essence to all the DPS you can, the Vampiric Bite ability does not work on someone who has already been bitten. Since it's quite likely, especially in the latter portions of the fight, for two players to choose the same person, it's very helpful to set up a bite order ahead of time. Make sure to prioritize higher DPS players to be bitten earlier. Communication is important as well -- players will need to know where the person they're biting is ahead of time, and if they don't, they need to find out quickly.

The raid's positioning is very important here. All of your ranged DPS and healers will need to be as spread out as possible, preferably at least 6 yards away from each other, with the healers more toward the center of the room to make sure everyone's in range. This is due to Lana'thel's Twilight Bloodbolt ability. She'll randomly cast this on any non-tank, causing around 10,000 damage to the target and anyone too close to them. Limiting this splash damage on ranged classes is important. However, she can target melee with Bloodbolt, resulting in unavoidable splash damage on the rest of the melee. For this reason, we have our melee DPS split into two separate groups, to the left and right of the boss.

Every two minutes, Lana'thel will run to the center of the room, fear everyone for a short period of time, and start casting Bloodbolt Whirl. This is essentially just her normal Bloodbolt ability, cast three times on every member of the raid. Positioning can be even more difficult here -- aside from the fact that the fear just completely scrambled everyone's positioning, all of the melee DPS needs to expand as well. The fear makes it almost impossible to set positioning ahead of time, so everyone just needs to find an open area, using as much of the room as possible. Since everyone is being hit by Bloodbolt simultaneously, two people standing too close to each other will take upward of 20,000 damage instantly.

Healing is extremely tight during this phase, so any hybrid DPS that can't damage her while she's in the air should try to help out on healing. It can also be very helpful to have healers avoid or break the fear with things like fear ward or tremor totem, and let them pick a spot quickly while the rest of the raid works around them.

One final warning regarding the air phase: The timing of the Essence debuff falling off tends to line up very closely with the first fear going out. Quite often, bites will need to go out as she's running to the center of the room. Tanking her as far from the center as possible can give a little extra time to get bites out, as well as making sure the first player with Essence gets their first bite out instantly as well.

There are four other main abilities that will need to be dealt with, though they're fortunately much simpler. Pact of the Darkfallen links three raid members together with a bright purple beam. While it's active, all three players will be constantly exploding, causing shadow damage to anyone else who is nearby. In order to cancel Pact of the Darkfallen, the three players must stand directly on top of each other for a brief period of time. Since latency causes players to appear in different places to each other, we found it best to simply have everyone with Pact go stand on the blue diamond on the floor in the very center of the room until their debuff falls off.

The next ability, Swarming Shadows, is practically identical to the Legion Flame debuff from the Lord Jaraxxus encounter. Just kite it away, preferably to the edges of the room, and stay out of the purple fire.

There's also her Blood Mirror ability. She casts this on the tank, who is then linked to the person standing closest to them. The linked player then takes 100% of the damage the tank does, as unresistable Shadow damage. The simplest way to deal with this is to simply have a second tank stand on top of the first. However, the only thing that really matters is the other player's health pool and damage reduction. If your healers can keep them up, a DPS-specced player with a full set of tanking gear can work as well, while potentially contributing more damage to the fight.

Finally, there's her Shroud of Sorrow aura. This causes up to 4500 damage to everyone in the raid every three seconds, and must be healed through. Prayer of Shadow Protection or a Shadow Protection Aura help greatly with this, as well as most of her other abilties.

Blood Queen Lana'thel is an extremely tight DPS and healing check that will test your ability to execute strategies quickly and efficiently. As always, if you'd like more information on this or any other encounter, just head over to Tankspot.com and click the Movies link in the top navbar. If you're watching this on Youtube, you can just follow the link in the movie details to go directly to the Blood Queen Lana'thel thread. Thanks for watching, and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena (10-man)
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the normal mode 10-man version of the Blood-Queen Lana'thel encounter. Currently you only get 15 attempts per raid lockout period to kill this boss.

Since raid damage is fairly high, we went with a setup of 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 dps. However if you're very confident in your healing abilities, it might be possible to do this fight with 2 healers. Either way, you will need amazing dps, especially if you go with 3 healers.

Throughout the entire encounter your raid will be faced with a debuff called Shroud of Sorrows. This quite simply inflicts 4500 shadow damage to everyone every 2 seconds and cannot be avoided.

Lana'thel has an ability called Vampiric Bite that she'll use 15 seconds into a fight on a random player, infecting them with a debuff called Essence of the Blood Queen, which will increase their damage dealt by 100% and will heal them for 15% of the damage that they do. This only lasts 50 seconds though and unless they bite another person after these 50 seconds are up, they will get mind-controlled by Lana'thel and must be killed.

The rule of thumb for this is to make sure that your best damage dealers get infected first - ideally set up an order ahead of time - then the healers and last of all the tanks. Approximately 4 minutes into the fight people will start getting mind-controlled no matter what you do, so this sets a tight soft enrage timer.

Lana'thel should be tanked where she's standing at the start of the fight, try to leave the middle of the room open. The reason for this is her ability called Pact of the Darkfallen which she uses approximately every 30 seconds. This links 2 players together and deals shadow damage to them and anyone nearby every second until both targets are within 5 yards of each other and the red beam dissipates. Assign a meeting point away from the melee pile to avoid extra damage taken.

Another ability she uses periodically is Swarming Shadows. This works much like Legion Flames on Lord Jaraxxus. You basically poop out a trail of shadow flames wherever you move to for 7 seconds. To minimize damage, it is best to kite this towards the wall. If healing is not an issue, you can also remain stationary through it, but caution is advised.

The reason you want two tanks for this encounter is her ability called Blood Mirror. This is cast on the main tank and will make your target nearest to the tank take the same damage as the main tank himself, so just have your offtank stack on your main tank to avoid melee deaths.

About every 2 minutes Lana'thel will cast Bloodbolt Whirl. basically she'll fear everyone, fly up into the air and shoot 8k damage Bloodbolts at every raid member for 6 seconds. When this occurs - and it should only be once throughout the encounter - everyone should be at least 6 yards apart from everyone else or you'll take additional damage from your neighbor and will probably die.

If you can manage to deal with the high raid damage and the tight enrage timer, ie the gear check, Lana'thel is a fairly straightforward encounter. As mentioned, you have approximately 4 minutes until people start dying and after that you should really be close to getting her down or else you'll be in trouble.

Have fun and Good luck!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 09:28 AM.

We don't have a transcript for this at the moment though we will probably get one up over the next few days (Aliena is still in that pretty busy stage!). As per last content release, the 25-man for this encounter is a bit delayed due to the limited attempts and the server instability on Tuesdays.

what is the dps requirement for that encounter solo and raid if you don,t count tanks for 10 and 25 man

It is sickening knowing how much damage that hammer mitigates, only our holy pally has it....wow.....so much less damage -.-
    (yes I realize you probably had a disc priest too(at least looked like it)

Why does aliena feel the need to eat her mic on the latest vids?

Makes for listening to her pretty hard , infact last video i had to cut her off half way through and make do with reading the tactics .(normaily i read then i watch )

did no one die in that video to MC? if so thats pretty awesome

I ain't eating anything, my mic's the same it's always been.

One person died at 4%

Wicked vid once again, no probs hearing it over here,
    "I notice that there's a long gap in your job history and it said for 22 years you went Kerouac on everyone's ass?"

Am I watching the video correctly, that Lana'thel only bit 1 person in 10 man, and it was just people spreading the bite from there?

Any experience in 10 or 25man Lanethel with letting one (or more) of the original people that get bitten die and the Rebirth/Ankh/Soulstone? Seems like it would be way too easy to extend the encounter's limits with that strategy, so surely it doesn't work, but I've yet to hear anything definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hehulk View Post
    Am I watching the video correctly, that Lana'thel only bit 1 person in 10 man, and it was just people spreading the bite from there?
    Disclaimer: I have not done the encounter yet.

That said, my understanding is that Lana'thel will bite one person during the encounter and will not bite again so long as the debuff is present on someone. She will bite another person if the debuff is not present in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Disclaimer: I have not done the encounter yet.

That said, my understanding is that Lana'thel will bite one person during the encounter and will not bite again so long as the debuff is present on someone. She will bite another person if the debuff is not present in the raid.
    Wow, if that's the case, then the mechanic is far less cruel than I first supposed. Thanks for sharing that (with all due qualifications).

Xu

Transcript is up!

Exponential Growth

If I'm reading and hearing the mechanics properly, the amount of bitten people grows exponentially.

One person gets bit, they bit someone after 50 seconds and the buff gets refreshed, after another 50 seconds both people have to bite another, making 4 bitten people in the raid.

So 15 second mark, 1 person
    1:05 - 2
    1:55 - 4
    2:45 - 8
    3:35 - 8 (two people become MC'd)

Granted, you have a 10 second grace period, so with perfect bite execution (As in you bite someone the instant before becoming MC'd) you get another 40 seconds, making the MC mark at 4:15.

This means you need to bring 5569 DPS per person in the raid (including your tanks and heals).

14.2mil HP / (255 seconds * 10 people)

Someone please correct me if my math is wrong or I misunderstand the mechanics.

EDIT:

Did some more modeling. end result: If you assume a tank does half as much DPS as a DPS'er (Or both tanks together equal an additional DPS) then 3 healers requires 5942 DPS, 2 healers 5369 DPS

Long Math:

Given x people performing n DPS:

0 - 15: xn * 15
    15-75: x(n+1) * 60
    75-135: x(n+2) * 60
    135-195:x(n+4) * 60
    195-255:x(n+8) * 60

Adding together everything, we end up with 255xn + 860x = 14,200,000

with 3 healers, you have 5 DPS so n = 6
    2 healers: n = 7

This is to kill her before a MC goes out, also, it assumes your biting at the last possible moment before an MC, so DPS should be slightly higher. If you can't bring the DPS your going to cut it close because at the 255s mark (3:15), your going to lose 6 people, and will lose everyone at the 315s (3:15) mark.

Again, wrong reasoning or bad math please let me know.

(Edit: at that moment you lose all but 4 people, not 2 DPS)
    Last edited by PtrN; 01-20-2010 at 05:29 PM.

your math is correct but you're neglecting a few things.

the easiest way is to assume you only have 5 dps as the video suggests

that means 14.2mil / 255 seconds * 5 people = 11137 dps per dps'er

However, the bitten person, deals 100% damage, so that means as the fight goes longer, more people are doing more and more dps as they are vampyr. So this is possible, but the formula gets harder as you go through it.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Hello.

Raid DPS shouldn't be a problem if you manage to keep everyone alive. We had problems two healing the encounter with both healers doing roughly 8 to 9k HPS so we switched to three.

We used a Holy Priest, Resto Shaman, and Holy Paladin. Seeing this fight though I'd have to say it is a Resto druids dream boss fight like twins.

We still managed to kill Lanathel with 2 tanks(druid/pally), 3 healers, and 5 dps if guilds are wondering if it is possible. DPS requirements WILL be higher. Our DPSers were averaging roughly 8k - 13k with the 100% buff. So on average players hitting 4k to 6-7k normally should suffice for 10 man atleast. We also had no sunder/expose armor. Our tanks were putting out 2.5k to 3k DPS

We also had very little "synergy" but the players were top notch on knowing mechanics etc.

Just saying this fight is still possible and very fun with 3 healers and 5 dps.
    Last edited by Tylecaner; 01-20-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Hey,

we did it with 2 healers (Holy Pala and Resto Druid), we managed to kill her in our 3rd attempt. We were nearly killing her in attempt 2 but our healer got crushed by this "brain link" somehow. I think DPS is not the measure in this fight, but the right execution of the encounter mechanics. After the first bite, we traded the vampire buff to either 1 Range DPS or 1 Melee, depending on who got bitten first, and so goes the chain to all DPS, then tanks an finally the healers, when your 2 healers manage to heal this encounter, then everything that matters is just the right execution of distributing the vampire buff to the right people first, I think our worst DPS was me with 7400 DPS (I got the buff at last) this boss was fairly easy compared with the prof 2 weeks ago, when HE was all new.

We had a Tankadin, Tank Druid, Heal Pala. Resto Druid, Mage, Rogue, Enhancer and Elemental Shaman, Ret Pala and myself as a Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghladum View Post
    Any experience in 10 or 25man Lanethel with letting one (or more) of the original people that get bitten die and the Rebirth/Ankh/Soulstone? Seems like it would be way too easy to extend the encounter's limits with that strategy, so surely it doesn't work, but I've yet to hear anything definitive.
    YouTube - How To / Guide - Blood Queen Lana'thel
    The Exodus strat vid does this and says it extends the time to wipe to MCs by a minute. The guy in the vid says the dps requirement is pretty easy doing it that way.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

"This only lasts 50 seconds though and unless they bite another person after these 50 seconds are up, they will get mind-controlled by Lana'thel and must be killed."

Is there not the 10 second timer AFTER the 50 seconds to bite someone? If so then this statement is VERY misleading.

Would it be possible to bite a a players pet? This could extend the timer and lower the requirements a bit if possible.

+ Reply to Thread