+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Blood Princes

Icecrown Blood Princes

You can find a guide to the heroic version of this encounter here!

Ability Descriptions (Courtesy Darksend)

Shock Vortex:
    targets a random raid member, which can include casting it on the tank tanking Valanar, and summons a vortex under them. The vortex will deal damage and knock back anyone inside it. This vortex has a similar graphic to that of a power spark puddle in the malygos encounter.

Shadow Lance:
    Keleseth's main ability, standard shadowbolt spell, ranged tank preferred.

Conjure Flame: Summons a Flame orb on a random ranged raid member that explodes when it reaches them. Since the raid should be spread out already this can safely be allowed to detonate on the person and just healed up quickly afterward.

Glittering sparks: An ability used by Taldaram. He will turn and randomly cast glittering sparks on the raid. This will deal about 4K damage every 2 seconds but also slow the movement speed of everyone hit by it. It is a magic effect and since it is a cone effect it is easy to predict who it will hit. We had one of our priests assigned to MD that area.

Dark Nucleus:
    Similar to collapsing stars, these orbs tick out over time. The warlock tank must always be watching how much hp the nucleus has left and be ready to grab new ones, especially during empowered lances.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend (25-man)
    Welcome back to the icecrown raid guide, my name is darksend and in this video I will be covering our strategy for the blood prince council, the first boss in the crimson hall.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right to be automatically notified as we release new movies. Finally, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more about this service!

The Blood Prince encounter is not your typical council mechanic. Of the three princes, Valanar, keleseth, and taldaram, only valanar will have any health at the begining of the pull. Attacking either of the other two will not actually contribute to defeating the encounter. This is because of the invocation of blood. This ability both marks the target you need to actively be killing as well as empowering that prince.

Every prince has one ability that can be empowered. For valanar it is shock vortex, for taldaram it conjured flame, and for keleseth it is shadow lance.

Shock vortex will target a random raid member and cast a vortex on the ground under them. As a ranged Dps or healer try to position yourself so there is never one directly between yourself and taldaram, I will discuss why in a moment.

The empowered shock vortex summons a vortex on every raid member within 30 yards. Because of this ranged and healers need to be either spread out or more than 30 yards away from him. melee need to begin running out as soon as it begins casting. Make sure to not all run out the same way and have people run out to different distances to ensure they do not blow each other up. This version of the ability does not persist on the ground like the normal version.

The empowered flame has stacks that must be siphoned off. Once it picks a target have that person begin running away from the raid while everyone else stacks underneath the orb. It will flare everyone within 10 yards for 1K damage a second. This flare is what removes the stacks from the orb. Once enough flares have gone off the orb detonating will do non-empowered damage. Should a full strength orb go off it will instantly kill everyone within 15 yards. This is why you do not want a vortex between you and taldaram, as the raid will not be able to follow the orb through the vortex and it will hit you at full strength.

Keleseth never melees but instead spams shadow lance the entire fight Because of this we use a warlock to tank him We found it easiest to just have the lock prepositioned in the back of the room and have keleseth mded to him. Keleseth also summons orbs called dark nucleus. These adds will channel a debuff on the highest agro target called shadow resonance. It will deal minor periodic damage but will reduce all shadow damage taken by the person by 35%, and it stacks. This is how you cancel out the empower. To be safe our warlock tank tried to always have 3 of them on him but usually he had more. The catch is they tick themselves out similar to colapsing stars on algalon.

The final ability in this encounter is the kinetic bomb. These bombs will float around the room, and at times there will be multiple up at once. If they hit the ground they will explode and knock back everyone in the room a decent distance. To keep them from hitting the ground simply hit it with some form of direct damage and it will fly back up. They will eventually despawn after a short time of being juggled. we had a ranged with assist marking each one to help people keep track of which one they were assigned.

When valanar gets emopowered the second time, he almost immediatly started casting empowered vortex. Make sure your melee are away as we wiped on a previous attempt to several melee getting blown up at the exact same point as in this video. The reason for that is that the old empower does not stop casting when the invocation switches, and we had both an empowered flame orb and an empowered shock vortex go out at the same time.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena (10-man)
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the normal mode 10-man version of the Blood Prince Council encounter.

You're faced with 3 opponents in this fight that all share the same health pool. However, you can only damage one of the Princes at any given time. Who this is changes periodically but will always be visible by the red blood-ball surrounding one prince that indicates the Invocation of Blood buff which makes them more powerful but also vulnerable.

We used a setup of 2 tanks, 1 ranged warlock tank and 3 healers to counter the princes, but other setups may work just as well or even better for your raid team.

Prince Valanar is a kinetic element type of enemy whose main ability is Shock Vortex that turns into Empowered Shock Vortex when he is invocated. His cup also runneth over a lot. Shock Vortex creates a white swirling ball on the ground that'll knock back enemies within 13 yards of it and also deal about 6000 damage, but it can easily be avoided after it has been cast.

Empowered Shock Vortex on the other hand will inflict damage to all enemies within 30 yards, but also makes every raid member within 12 yards of one another take additional damage depending on how many people are close and also knocks them back. So pay close attention to whether Valanar casts empowered or normal Shock Vortex and make sure to be spread out if it's Empowered Vortex. Valanar is always the first prince to get empowered.

The other ability he has is Kinetic Bomb which is just a beach ball hovering in the air that drifts towards the ground unless it is consistently damage. When it hits the ground it inflicts raid wide damage with a knockback, so make sure to keep it afloat.

Prince Keleseth is the shadow element prince we used our warlock tank for. He'll consistently cast Shadow Lance at whoever is tanking him, which hits for about 16000 damage without resists. To counteract this, your Keleseth tank needs to pick up the Dark Nuclei that spawn periodically throughout the fight.

Our lock said he just cast Corruption on them to get them to follow him, but either way you always aim to pick up at least three of them. Each of them will decrease your shadow damage taken by 35% and this buff stacks, but it also makes you take some minor consistent damage. When Keleseth gets invocated, he'll cast empowered shadow lance, which hits for about 80k, so you see why you want to keep at least three balls around you at any given time. They disappear after a certain amount of time, so don't stop collecting. Gotta catch em all!

Taldaram is the Fire element prince. He'll consistently cast Glittering Sparks which is a frontal cone ability that deals about 14k damage and slows movement speed of anyone getting hit. Ideally this should just be his tank.

More importantly, Taldaram's main ability is Conjure Flame which summons a flame ball wherever he's currently standing that will then float over to a random raid member and deal some damage to its target and anyone nearby when it hits.

When the fire prince gets Invocation of Blood however, the flame he conjures turns into an Inferno Flame - much bigger than the normal one - and also picks a target and floats over to it. The more people that get hit by this ball while it's traveling to its target, the smaller it gets and less damage it will inflict when it reaches it. However, it'll always cause at least 10k AoE damage, so no one should be near the target after weakening the flame. He will cast this frequently while empowered.

As long as you have the raid awareness to deal with Shock Vortexes and Inferno Flames and your Keleseth tank is competent at picking up purple balls, the Blood Prince council shouldn't cause you much trouble. Coordination and awareness go a long way on this fight.

Good luck!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!

A few things to note that were omitted due to the short duration of the fight.

Heroism/Bloodlust is best used when Keleseth is empowered. This is because on both of the other bosses you are constantly moving out of his special ability (either vortex or flame orb). Threat may be an issue if Keleseth is the second empower so make sure to feed as many misdirects and tricks into the warlock tank as possible.

For reference, we were calling the front of the room where the bosses start and the back of the room the area by the door.

We used 5 healers, 2 resto druids and a holy priest for raid healing and a paladin with beacon and a disc priest healing the 3 tanks. Aside from empowered Keleseth the warlock tank does not need much healing as long as he or she is good with the orbs. You can see my damage taken through the video and I can honestly say I am not sure how much damage the Taldaram tank takes.

When I said
    Keleseth never melees
    It was originally
    As long as you do not run into melee range of him, Keleseth never melees
    but was lost in editing.

When valanar gets emopowered the second time, he almost immediatly started casting empowered vortex. Make sure your melee are away as we wiped on a previous attempt to several melee getting blown up at the exact same point as in this video. The reason for that is that the old empower does not stop casting when the invocation switches, and we had both an empowered flame orb and an empowered shock vortex go out at the same time.
    -Rewind the video to 3 minutes 1 second to see the event I am referencing.

Finally, I apologize for the amount of info that needs to be added in text due to the short nature of the encounter.
    Last edited by Darksend; 01-20-2010 at 06:10 AM.

I lol'd at the emopowered remark. Don't know if this is intended or not but I'm sticking with this term from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by erlhen View Post
    we got an issue on our 10 men, keleseth start to do his empowered shadow lance after 5 or 10 sec after pull. So our range tank die, because we only got 1 dark nucleus when he start doing his special ability. Any suggestion ?
    I have yet to try this in 10 man but are you sure it is the empowered. I have never seen the invocation jump until Valanar had cast 2 empowered vortexes so either it is a bug or your healers just need to step it up, or you are grossly exaggerating that 5 or 10 second remark.

Quote Originally Posted by omegti View Post
    I lol'd at the emopowered remark. Don't know if this is intended or not but I'm sticking with this term from now on.
    now that IS! a convenient typo isn't it.

Is it me or is this guide a bit chaotic and hard to follow?

Feels like frapsed first kill with wowiki commentary not really stickily tied together. It is nowhere near the quality of the old tankspot's guides.

It might be the first one published on the web but I am sure it will not be the best one

(sorry about being blunt)
    Last edited by ivp008; 01-20-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    Onlyhuman: EU:Aszune

How crucial is it to avoid a single vortex thing (i.e. will you die from only one normal one/empowered one)?
    How about the flame orbs? Do the non-empowered ones damage anyone in the way, or do they just go after their target and blow up? Do they do less damage the further you are from them?
    As for the empowered flame orbs - from what i'm seeing you need to kite them as per normal with the addendum that people need to stack under it so it damages then and thus decreasing the damage done when it hits the target (and size?).
    More details on the flame abilities would be appreciated really, maybe a clarification on the vortex as well :P Otherwise a good job, albeit a bit rushed maybe, but i really appreciate you guys staying up late and actually putting effort into recording this stuff just for us europeans to have an earlier insight on it

Quote Originally Posted by Baervar View Post
    How crucial is it to avoid a single vortex thing (i.e. will you die from only one normal one/empowered one)?
    Well each person takes 5K damage from the empowered and then hits everyone for 5K.

So 3 ranged stacked on each other as they run out each taking 5K, then 2 people will hit you for another 5K each, so 3 melee stacked will be 15K damage to all 3 of them. That is the empowered.

The normal just had a really nasty kick. When I say knock away I mean it will punt you as much as 30 yards. Probably one of the longest distance knock aways in the game.

How about the flame orbs? Do the non-empowered ones damage anyone in the way, or do they just go after their target and blow up? Do they do less damage the further you are from them?
    As for the empowered flame orbs - from what i'm seeing you need to kite them as per normal with the addendum that people need to stack under it so it damages then and thus decreasing the damage done when it hits the target (and size?).
    Nope, normal ones just blow up for a set damage on the person.

The empowered yes that is correct the raid takes small hits of damage to prevent the person from being blown up. From what we saw this slowed the orb as well, but that could just be speculation.

Per the criticism -- as we've been doing for every encounter since Trial, we'll be putting a second movie in. It should be available in a few hours and it may be easier to follow for you.

I know Darksend struggled with editing this movie because the encounter is extremely short compared to the amount of information needed. I recommended he cut sections and put them in a written section (what you see above) so we didn't just have 2-3 minutes of black space on the movie. It's rough, and we'll tune it better in the future.

Do keep in mind that speed is very important to us and you can easily look back at a large number of movies over the last year where we've added addendums and entirely new perspectives on the encounter if we felt the first iteration needed to be expanded on. If the second movie does not satisfy what we're looking for in terms of covering what you need to know for the 25-man as well, we'll look at doing this.

Please keep continued comments on the topic of the Blood Princes encounter.

//edit: We'll be adding the original audio file in an audio player here as well. This is much longer than the length of the video and should sound much smoother. Again, probably a couple hours before I can reasonably get this in, so stay tuned!

Are warlocks an absolute or can you subsitute another, high agroing range to do the job?

10-man video and guide coming soon? Thanks as always!

Xu

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    I have yet to try this in 10 man but are you sure it is the empowered. I have never seen the invocation jump until Valanar had cast 2 empowered vortexes so either it is a bug or your healers just need to step it up, or you are grossly exaggerating that 5 or 10 second remark.

now that IS! a convenient typo isn't it.

nah isnt exaggerating, i just realise this morning, our range dps, was not really in range.
    Every time he died, but when i saw that i realise he was hit by a melee strike

10-man movie up!

I have a quick question about this fight in 10man mode. Our guilds 10man group doesnt run with a warlock, so im wondering if there is another range class that can take the shadowbolts. I'm thinking a mage with mage armor, and shadow resist aura could potentially be enough to hold agroo, yet still take an amount of dmg. which is healable.

Any thoughts?

I would imagine that anyone who has a sufficient amount of HP would be fine as long as they have enough nuclei on them.

I tanked 10m Keleseth last night (prot paladin) and there are three arguments for having a ranged tank him 1) no melee damage 2) easier to run around and get the nuclei 3) melee cleave attacks will hurt the nuclei (heart strike, etc). In addition, getting hit by shock vortexes sometimes seemed to reset the nuclei lock and they would follow the highest threat person (usually a healer). I would guess that things like blink or demonic circle could also cause a reset of threat on at least one of the nuclei.

Personally my threat was fine on Keleseth because I meleed him at the start for a bit and then you can use Judgement, AS, and HoW (yes, HoW is available) when he does not have the invocation. I'll also say that there seemed to be something funky going on with the nuclei response to HoR (they may be not tauntable and therefore not take damage from HoR) - immediately after taunting it aggro'd to a healer, but I didn't get a chance to look at my combat log for the information (will do so later when I get home).

I would recommend that the ranged tank aim to get 4 nuclei at all times because it is highly likely that you will either get hit by a vortex and lose one or have one die at an inopportune time that would then result in dying to empowered shock lance.

when you say:

When I said
    Keleseth never melees

It was originally
    As long as you do not run into melee range of him, Keleseth never melees

how should I interpret this:
    1- Melee dps stay away from him? only range dps
    2- The lock tank will lose aggro to any1 in melee or
    3- He will keep the aggro but the boss will random cleave some1 in melee.
    Clearify pls.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

The boss will melee swing the warlock tank and kill him if the warlock gets to close.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    The boss will melee swing the warlock tank and kill him if the warlock gets to close.
    IDK. Hes pretty smart. Decided what he was doing wasnt effective a few times and ran at range up to him and killed em' dead.

Also, if you are assigned to dps the orb, dont attack it to fast. It CAN fly up to high and aggro blood queen and will wipe you.

for the 10-man tank, Is Soul link Necessarry, or just a large amount of health, Deciding if I should respec to my affliction PvP spec for this fight.

Any idea of using an other class to tank than a warlock?
    In our 10 Man there simply is no one and I wonder if its possible with a shadow for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Badmonkey.eu View Post
    Any idea of using an other class to tank than a warlock?
    In our 10 Man there simply is no one and I wonder if its possible with a shadow for example?
    I tanked this in our 10 man as a hunter. I did use an HP flask and wore PvP gear to get my hp to 30k buffed. The most dangerous moments were on the pull as you have no orbs active yet (we actually had the Valanar tank hold him until the orbs spawned) and during his empowerment. 4 or more orbs is safe as losing an orb during empowerment and having the range tank die will be a definite wipe.

+ Reply to Thread