+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Tanking Suggestions

Need Tanking Suggestions

The World of Warcraft Armory - Axron @ Stormscale - Profile

Hello, just looking for suggestions on how to improve my gear/stats. My main concern is my hit/exp.
    If I get an upgraded/sidegraded weapon my hit would be at an atrociously low level.
    Need some suggestions on how to get my expertise up. Earlier I switched out some +30 stam gems for +10 exp/+15 stam gems. That got me 2 extra expertise to 16, that is still pretty low.

Also it seems like I die way easier than my tanking partner who is a paladin. I was thinking about going for the triumph badge trinket that gives armor and replace my brewfest, would that be a good idea?

How do my avoidance stats look?

I researched and researched and specced and respecced so many times, but I think my spec is where I want it now, so no worries there.

Just looking for anything here that would be able to help me better my abilities as a tank.

EDIT: I also have Etrigg's Oath that I could replace my brewfest trinket with, but I just don't feel that would be as useful because of the 20% dodge debuff in ICC.
    Last edited by axron; 01-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.

glyph of indomitability would be an upgrade in my opinion over brewfest yays i give you stam and that's it trinket.

if you really want hit you could downgrade to the tier 9 shoulders since they have hit on them. you'll lose like .6 dodge and a little armor.

you're in the same boat as me with hit and expertise, and i compensate for it with a hit potion and expertise food and it does me fine. the only loss is that i dont get to flask, and if we're doing progression i run through a lot of hit potions and expertise food in a night.

if you want you can also change your glove chant to hit or expertise, and change a few more gems to exp/stam.

your chest is confusing me and i think just not showing up on armory. it's linking as the dps piece with the tank set bonus...otherwise you bought the dps piece for your tank set and im baffled at that decision.

it looks like you chanted but forgot to gem your cloak.

your avoidance looks fine for blood.

your spec didnt take improved icy talons. o.O?

There are a few options for more expertise. Weapon from saurfang10 or Ony, frost emblem chest and now that the new wing unlocks this week also hands from queen lanathel10. Gemming expertise/stam in red sockets ain't bad either until you hit the softcap.

If you have any issues dropping death EH is the way to go, more stamina and armor. Armor trinket is only good on physical fights like marrowgar, saurfang etc.
    But the biggest thing you can do to prevent deaths is good use of cooldowns, keybind them so they are in reach and you can pop them quickly when you drop low.

Quote Originally Posted by axron View Post
    Hello, just looking for suggestions on how to improve my gear/stats. My main concern is my hit/exp.
    First of all a disclaimer of sorts: I'm a protection warrior so I don't know every quirks of DK tanking but I guess general stuff applies here.

If I get an upgraded/sidegraded weapon my hit would be at an atrociously low level.
    Need some suggestions on how to get my expertise up. Earlier I switched out some +30 stam gems for +10 exp/+15 stam gems. That got me 2 extra expertise to 16, that is still pretty low.
    I currently have 18 expertise in my EH gear and that's fine, the gear you use for progression content should be focused on maximizing your effective health, IMHO. I can bump my exp up to the dodge soft-cap with certain gear changes but I still always use the gear which gives me most EH in progression fights - you can never go wrong with that. Yes, expertise is an important stat in reducing spike damage in certain situations and its merits for threat are unquestionable. Still, IMHO you shouldn't worry about hit or expertise much when you are tanking bosses you don't have on farm. You can always glyph for taunt to compensate the lack of hit, for example and there's expertise enchants on both gloves and bracers.

But there, end of my little rant. To your questions:

There are few pieces of gear I would try to get if I'd were you and was looking for expertise. Firstly, the neck from 10-man Jaraxxus (Fortitude of the Infernal - Item - World of Warcraft) or 10/25-man Onyxia (Eskhandar's Links - Item - World of Warcraft) are good sources of expertise. Also, you could very easily get a weapon from 10-man Saurfang (Ramaladni's Blade of Culling - Item - World of Warcraft) which gives metric tons of expertise and even has two blue sockets to the boot! You could also try to get the legs (Legplates of Feverish Dedication - Item - World of Warcraft) from 25-man Jaraxxus.

These are just a few items that would boost your expertise quite a bit.

Also it seems like I die way easier than my tanking partner who is a paladin. I was thinking about going for the triumph badge trinket that gives armor and replace my brewfest, would that be a good idea?
    Yes, Glyph of Indomitability is a great trinket - extra armor is sexy and the Use-effect is quite powerful, essentially giving you an extra cooldown to pop when needed. I'm currently using Juggernaut's Vitality with Glyph for most fights (like Gormok, Anub, Marrowgar, tanking Muradin on Gunship, Saurfang, Festergut and so on) and it truly shines. That's only my opinion, though, but from what I've read, Glyph is still considered a great trinket.

Of course you need to make judgement calls: on a fight with huge amount of magical damage, go with 2 stamina trinkets. On fights like I mentioned, where the boss is hitting you hard for physical damage, I go with Juggernaut + Glyph. The On Use on 2min cooldown is really worth it when you need to pop some kind of cooldown (Fester's 3-inhales for example).

How do my avoidance stats look?
    I don't know about DK ideals, but they look ok to me. As a protection warrior, I have pretty similar dodge and parry as you.

+ Reply to Thread