+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which glyph to use for Frost tanking?

Which glyph to use for Frost tanking?

Hello there,

Right now I am tanking with a 2Handed, single-disease frost tank spec. I like the playstyle, but I'm unsure of which glyph to use.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

With my current spec I use Howling Blast glyph (which is my primary means of putting up Frost Fever), with glyphs of Obliterate and Unbreakable Armor. However, I've been reading and seeing many DKs say that the the UA glyph isn't worth the slot because the armor benefit isn't that good. I'd like to get opinions then on which glyph might be better. I was thinking either Frost Strike or Rune Strike (both seem like good choices). However, I also wondered if the glyph of Icy Touch might be good (20% increased damage for Frost Fever), seeing as I only put a single disease on. Honestly though, I'm not quite sure how much threat my actual disease tick causes.

By the way, right now I've got about a 5.3k gearscore and I'm tanking 10 and 25 ICC, if that factors into your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

I use Icy Touch, Oblit, and Frost strike.

If i really wanted to take howling blast though, I'd drop frost strike for Howling blast.

For raid tanking I'd use Frost strike over howling blast though, because generally in raids i put up both diseases even on trash, so while it's nice for snap aggro it ends up making me do funny things when i have to pestilence and plague strike, making it really just even more complicated than without. if i was doing just one disease that'd be a different story, but in raids we have people doing 7k single target and one disease just doesnt seem to cut it.

I use Icy Touch, Oblit, and Frost Strike also.

Oblit is the bread and butter Glyph for Frost regardless if you are DPS or Tanking.
    Icy Touch makes Frost Fever so much better.
    Frost Strike is something you can always use, while Rune Strike is a conditional.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I use Icy Touch, Oblit, and Frost Strike also.

Frost Strike is something you can always use, while Rune Strike is a conditional.
    i would say it's actually the opposite, which is what makes the glyph more attractive.

you want to keep enough runic power so that you can rune strike whenever it comes up, and frost strike if you have enough extra. the glyph lowers the amount of extra that you need.

rune strike does more threat than a frost strike any day, unless you're frost striking with a killing machine proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Moortus View Post
    i would say it's actually the opposite, which is what makes the glyph more attractive.

you want to keep enough runic power so that you can rune strike whenever it comes up, and frost strike if you have enough extra. the glyph lowers the amount of extra that you need.

rune strike does more threat than a frost strike any day, unless you're frost striking with a killing machine proc.
    I can always use a Frost Strike if I have Runic Power.
    Rune Strike requires a conditional to happen, which on some bosses will never happen (i.e. Novos and similiar bosses).

I like oblit, ua and rs glyphs since in ic rs is now a bit harder to proc your rs extra crit will help you to make extra aggro. Maybe if you don't consider ua extra dmg reduction useful them you can get hb. Fs is just an addon to the rotation and the aggro generated by a rs crit is much much bigger than an extra fs. I like the extra ua because eh is still a very important and in encounters like festergut that extra lil less dmg will mark the diference between a wipe and a succesful kill

I use oblit, UA, and HB. I justify the HB glyph by being able to do a UA-HB-PS-BS-BS rotation when I need it.

Since I don't have threat issues, UA is the logical choice. I usually have 32k armor so UA is an additional 1600 over the unglyphed version.

If I had threat issues, I'd swap to RS because FS takes a GCD where RS doesn't. I have more RP than I can burn in the rune cooldown window if I just use FS, but if use RS, most of the time I don't have enough RP in the cooldown window to get two FS's in. I find that just using RS when it's up and getting in one FS and a HoW on the rune cooldowns works best for me.
    Proud king of being one-shotted by a wet paper bag.

I currently run DW frost and run HB, OB and Frost Strike glyphs.

Since I run single disease, only Plague on single targets, I like my HB refreshing Frost Fever. OB is a natural and dont see a reason why anyone running frost would'nt run it. I was torn on Frost Strike or Rune Strike glyphs. For me I like the reduction in FS rp cost with the glyph as it helps in the event of black outs, I just have to pay more attention to make sure I dont spam it and starve my rune strikes.

+ Reply to Thread