+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help, my DPS just screwed me over!

Help, my DPS just screwed me over!

Hiya. I'm a fairly new tank, but I've been getting steadily better to the point where i can easily tank a heroic where everyone does things they way they should. When I say the way they should, I mean that I, the tank, pull, the dps burn down mobs the healer heals.

My problem is with the lfg system, you get people who are uber impatient, cant wait the 5 secs for my heroic throw CD between pulls, or we and decide to pull themselves, usually a dk using his DnD early, or gripping a mob, but sometimes i even get a caster deciding to pull.

My primary multi mob stratagem involves heroic throwing either a ranged or the biggest melee threat (If It's up) and immediately charging and using TC as i get to the group so i have a decent amount of threat, Shockwaving to solidify that threat, then Demo shout (usually) then tabbing around using devastate with cleave as my rage dump, if one starts to get to high, i shield slam, revenge, etc. Always using TC when it's up, ditto with shockwave. Given I pull, i hardly ever lose threat on a mob, and when i do, its to a vastly superiorly geared toon, if its a clothie ill usually taunt, if not i usually just let them handle it.

When another guy pulls, i cant get that initial aggro, and especially a dk grips a mob, the group gets spread out and I'll either have to wait for the group to get to us to use TC or run to the group and TC/shockwave, and sometimes even this doesnt work, Commanding shout is useful here, but usually the others have enough threat at this point that they quickly pull aggro back to them, then the DPS blame me when they die.

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into how to deal with these types of situations. Honestly, most of the time I think that the DPS who decide they want to pull they deserve to get killed, maybe next time they'll wait, but I do feel guilty about it as a Tank, and quite frankly, I can't afford to wipe because of that, my repair bills are bad enough as it is. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtzgrmeister View Post
    I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into how to deal with these types of situations.
    My solution is usually just to leave the group, if I'm the tank. You might have to wait for the dungeon cooldown to finish, but when you re-queue, you are back in immediately.

There's not a lot of point in trying to tell them to let the tank do the tanking, when clearly they don't subscribe to that notion.

More likely than not, since you are a new tank and just gearing up, they see your "low" health and gearscore, and think you can't tank a heroic.

</sarcasm> Because, of course, you need raid-quality gear to tank a heroic. </sarcasm>

I ran into something like this last night. A gnome Warlock decided to take it upon himself to run off and pull things then started to bitch about it when he died and we refused to res him. This really isn't your problem nor is there anything you can do to fix it. What I usually do is vote kick them, trust me, the rest of your party is going to feel the same way you do and vote yes. Hopefully, you get a more intelligent dps player to replace him. Don't hold yourself accountable for other toons not playing their characters correctly. As long as you are doing your job as a tank, that is all that matters.

Warn them once. If it continues, let them die, they deserve it. If they leave, oh well. If it gets worse and they get the group wiped, you'll have everyone on your side when you vote ot kick them. DPS are a dime a dozen in the LFG, and can be easily replaced if they are acting like idiots.

My preference is to run with a pocket healer and instruct him/her to let the offending DPS eat dirt, but that's not always possible.

Well, today in heroics typically you never stop unless there is a need to. Generally the only time there is a need to is if the healer is low on mana, or people are dead. At any other time in a heroic, you should be moving from one group right into the next. Waiting for a cooldown to be back up is generally not necessary. If DPS is low on mana, not the end of the world, they should manage that themselves and sit down while the rest of the group moves on. The tank is only really concerned about healer mana.

Often times now though you will have people who simply outgear the content by so much now that it really makes little difference. DPS will generally kill a trash mob before it can kill them, they simply don't have a lot of health unless you're doing the Icecrown instances. If DPS is pulling trash, don't worry too much about it, if they die it is their own fault however if they are competent enough they should be able to survive having one mob targeting them. Where a tank becomes necessary is the groups of the mobs, DPS can handle it one on one, but can't take 10 mobs beating on them at once. If you have DPS that is pulling trash rather than letting you pull it, let them deal with it. You just save your taunts for your healer or the more cooperative DPS.

Some one else pulls, I'll run away from the pull and stand on the healer and let them eat it. If a mob comes for the healer I'll pull it off them.

There's no excuse nor any reason for DPS to be pulling. 20 seconds of time is better than 5 minutes after a wipe because a moronic DPS pulled too many mobs while I was getting a phone call or waiting for bloodrage to be off CD because I was out of rage.

I simply say, after the first offense, "You pull it you tank it. Mr healer, please don't heal them if they pull again."

It may come off as arrogant, but it sure does work.

I'll warn them once, then let them die. If the healer is silly enough to heal them through it, I'll just leave the group. If you cater to that kind of behavior, people will do it more. You have to ensure people understand that it's not alright.

How I react all depends on my mood and who the offender is. Last night in H OK, I had a guildie hunter joking around pulling - got me killed once. If I'm in a good mood I'll just go with the flow and take it as a challenge; however, if the dps complains that I didn't pick up a mob, that they pulled and suffered an adverse consequence from, I'll leave.

I've noticed that the amount of crap one gets tanking is inversely related to the gear one has; the better the gear, the less crap. While a lot of people can hide in a 25 man and get geared, it's real tough for the tank to coast through raids and gear up by being carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    How I react all depends on my mood and who the offender is. Last night in H OK, I had a guildie hunter joking around pulling - got me killed once. If I'm in a good mood I'll just go with the flow and take it as a challenge; however, if the dps complains that I didn't pick up a mob, that they pulled and suffered an adverse consequence from, I'll leave.

I've noticed that the amount of crap one gets tanking is inversely related to the gear one has; the better the gear, the less crap. While a lot of people can hide in a 25 man and get geared, it's real tough for the tank to coast through raids and gear up by being carried.
    Probably true. My dps never gives me crap on my warrior, but he's pretty damned well geared. I doubt it would be the same story if I hopped on my DK and tried to tank.

Charge in with cleave on que, thunderclap (cleave has already hit by then and directly put heroic strike in que) shield slam 1 mob select another one and revenge that one, then select another mob and spam devastate (mostly 2 times devastate but keep heroic strike or cleave in que depends on the amount of mobs between each action) and then switch back to the first mob and shieldslam/revenge it again and so on.

And yes dps that try to tank are really annoying, but when a person is good geared i mostly make a challenge for myself to see if i am capable to "out-threat" him and make sure he doesnt die, push your self over the limit!

:x

Quote Originally Posted by Mtzgrmeister View Post
    I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into how to deal with these types of situations.
    Remember, you can't fix stupid.

You do your job as best you can. Ask nicely that other do theirs. If you can't work with them you can leave or kick em. Other than that, grin and bear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    I'll warn them once, then let them die. If the healer is silly enough to heal them through it, I'll just leave the group. If you cater to that kind of behavior, people will do it more. You have to ensure people understand that it's not alright.
    QFT.

You don't have any ability on your bars to make people not play like retards.

Having said that, give people the benefit of the doubt to a point. If they are obviously just new to the game it doesn't hurt to attempt to help them group better. If they won't take it on-board or are just too cool to not play like a moron let them wait on another tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Quote Originally Posted by kolben View Post
    QFT.

You don't have any ability on your bars to make people not play like retards.

Having said that, give people the benefit of the doubt to a point. If they are obviously just new to the game it doesn't hurt to attempt to help them group better. If they won't take it on-board or are just too cool to not play like a moron let them wait on another tank.
    Reminds me of a Mage that kept trying to hammer mobs using Spell Reflect in Forge of Souls, even though I said to not cast during it after the first pull.
    He kept doing it, so the Healer stopped healing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Reminds me of a Mage that kept trying to hammer mobs using Spell Reflect in Forge of Souls, even though I said to not cast during it after the first pull.
    He kept doing it, so the Healer stopped healing him.
    I have a rule when I heal. Everyone gets one free stupid to stand in something they shouldn't. They are then asked not to do it again. After than I won't bother healing them unless I have nothing better to do (sometimes not even then).

Spiderman: Everyone gets one. Tell em Peter.

Peter: Uh, Apparently, Everyone gets one.

I think my job as a tank is to keep mobs off the healer. Pretty much thats it.
    If your are a DPS. and your a window lickin bicycle helmet wearing kid, pull aggro, then thats on you.
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

Yup... definitely can't cure stupid.

Something that might help you is to let the group know that you need to go at your pace which is slightly slower because of <insert reason>, and hopefully they'll understand. That might cause some retards to leave, but it sure as heck save the unnecessary wipes and headaches... heck you might get a better team player too. ^_^

My favorite is:

Me <taunt>
    Fury Warrior <charges and whirlwinds>

while I'm waiting for the mob to reach me... Not to mention all the ranged dps unloading onto the mobs with massive AoE...

My favorite is:

Me <taunt>
    Fury Warrior <charges and whirlwinds>

while I'm waiting for the mob to reach me... Not to mention all the ranged dps unloading onto the mobs with massive AoE...

ermm pull with taunt .... seems kinda weird ... i always charge into mobs in hcs makes u reach them 1st and even dpsers won't reach them b4 u start spammin cleave and tc off cds :P

and if some1 pulls when i'm tankin he tanks it if he dies i taunt mobs ... after that i use "U pull u tank easy pull again and tank again" thou it hardly ever happens :P i always run in front chargin and interceptin all possible mobs :> (<3 WARBRINGER !!)
    Last edited by Tankfailure; 01-20-2010 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfailure View Post
    ermm pull with taunt .... seems kinda weird ... i always charge into mobs in hcs makes u reach them 1st and even dpsers won't reach them b4 u start spammin cleave and tc off cds :P

Well I taunt and drop a Death and Decay, and like the mobs to move through the Death and Decay.

Well I taunt and drop a Death and Decay, and like the mobs to move through the Death and Decay.
    that's cuz u'r not Warr tank

just DG 1 mob dps will start burnin him instead rest of pack = win and u can proceedd with rot u use without worries :P
    Last edited by Tankfailure; 01-20-2010 at 04:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread