+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking spec comparisons?

Tanking spec comparisons?

Starting off I know there's a big DK tank bible that Satori (sp?) posted and have gone over it. On top of that I've been a tanking dk for a while now. That said:

I'm bored with blood. The tps goes up and down pending boss fights and debuffs from raid comp (dumb rogues and expose armor >.>) and wondering how often you'll get lucky rune strikes, and then spamming HS over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...it's just boring, and not worth Vampiric blood at the moment to me because staying awake is a pain.

I'm unsure though of how close 2 hand frost is in threat, and Unholy (as SS has gone up and down a bit in terms of what sort of damage it does) and how they all compare currently, both in terms of threat generation and survivability and viability in icecrown.

Having the capacity to generate 12k tps as unholy aoe wise is cool, but...if you can't hold bosses single target or get blown up because overall you take way more damage than the other two tank specs that's a problem you can't really avoid.

So yeah, anyone have any numbers for threat? Even general comparisions?

And! Anyone have any information on the viability of unholy in terms of survivability in ICC and how we're rocking bone shield currently or if it's just a cooldown rather than an up as much as you can get it thing?

I am Unholy Spec tanking.

I tank ICC 10 and 25 man.

I have no threat or survivability issues.

Im Frost DW, I tank 10 man icc and only have surviability issues on 3 inhale festergut, mainly do to gear being only triumph emblem based.

For single target I dont have any issues with dps catching after my initial pull. Sustained about 6.5-7k tps.

AoE I can sustain about 7-8k peaking at 11k+ if i get enough Rime procs and some crits.

I tried Frost 2h and just found the threat was not as good as DW for me. Plus DW is more exciting imo.

You would be a bad tank to be honest if you just spam HS all the time.

In my opinion, a good tank should check when he gets close to 85% hp and then time his death strikes so they coincide with when the boss hits, not just do HS all the time and stuff. Your job is to tank, survive, keep aggro, not DPS.

I tend to go against conventional theory crafting and wisdom when I tank (I know this is a mortal sin, but hey....) in that while I try to keep some rotation, I tend to hit what I think is appropriate for the situation i.e. "these mobs could use a HB" or "oh, Blood Boil would look real cool here", etc. It's more fun and I hold aggro just fine.

Have some fun. I just went back to DW Frost when I got the tank mace off of Marrowgar (no one needed it) and it's a blast. I tank bosses in Blood and it's great. Variety, variety, variety.

When I dps on my hunter, I'm married to a rotation; when I tank I want to take advantage of not having dps pressure on me.

hyperbole is the bestest thing in the whole wide world.

the end point to take from the first part was that it just isn't appealing to me anymore.

thanks to those that have responded.

Tps depends on 2 things:
    1. Your gear
    2. Your latency
    the tps in all 4 specs is almost the same. Dmg reduction, eh bla bla bla its the same. But there is a diference between all 4 specs. Frost is pretty good for aoe tanking same as unholy. Blood is extremely good for single target. But you can do almost the same thing with all the specs. Rotation is something in which every tank will achieve perfection. So when choosing a spec just aim for what you like.

I played around with Unholy for a bit last night and decided that while I still love unholy, against multiple targets Bone shield seems to be falling off WAY fast *don't know if the internal CD changed or what...* and I get hit a little harder than I'm comfortable with. For boss fights it's alternating between getting a fair amount of uptime and a NICE amount of uptime though, which is cool.

Threat is bugging me though. I tried two different Unholy specs, one a little more rounded in the rotation and focused on generating a little more RP than the second; the second which focused on SPAMMING scourge strike as much as possible while maintaining diseases but all I had runic power for was Rune Strikes it seemed. Even as blood I have enough to occasionally deathcoil and AT LEAST anti-magic shell if i need to. ScS spamming build didnt. End point: The threat alternated between awesome and terrible, terrible being 3-4k tpsish and awesome being 7-9ish. I still don't know why it was doing it, but basically my threat would alternate regularly between the two depending on I don't know what. I thought it was when I was refreshing diseases and what not but it wasn't. And it seemed to alternate regularly enough that it wasn't rune strike lacking periods.

+ Reply to Thread