+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protection Paladin >Problems<

Protection Paladin >Problems<

Hello Tankspot Forums!

I'm currently being abused by my character.. i'm not too sure what to gem, glyph, and also Talents.. i'll provide a link to my Armory down below..

So first off, i'm not having any trouble holding aggro, it's the lack of confidence i get with my character.. like i believe i'm around 2,500 'ish Gear-score on WH..

I could be raiding ICC 10man and not that far away from 25man i'm just curious what the tankspot community has to say about my gear, gems, enchants.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Automaticz @ Argent Dawn - Profile

PS: I do get carried away with these "Chats Persay"

Okay, let's look at this step by step.

Your gear seems to be in order, there are a few minor things to change when it comes to gemming and enchanting.
    You could put a 275 health enchant on your chest, get the pvp shoulder enchant, and swap some of those defense gems out for stamina gems. This should give you a bit more of a health buffer. If you want, you could go for the 245 ret libram while tanking, it's served me well.

Your spec needs work. There are several talents you have that give you very little, and you are missing some essential talents as well. I suggest checking out my own spec, and going to that. Use Seal of Command on trash, Seal of Vengeance on bosses. The extra splash damage that seal of command does is absolutely brilliant in 5man content. (It basically turns most your abilities and melee attacks into AoE threat builders.)

Your spec also tells me you are not using the 969 rotation. Start using it.
    (Read this to find out what it is.)

For the rest, start tanking stuff. Train yourself into herding packs while dpsing (just go pull five or six melee mobs somewhere for that) and you'll be a fine tank in no time. Practice makes perfect, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

you could put a 275 health enchant on your chest

isn't the 10% stats much better? like i'm sorta confused, i'm currently looking into a new spec.. not sure if you provided ur characters name.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    isn't the 10% stats much better? like i'm sorta confused, i'm currently looking into a new spec.. not sure if you provided ur characters name.
    no, theres good math for this on maintankadin i think. too lazy to dig atm but hp enchant is "better" overall

Use Seal of Command on trash
    um ya kinda, if the trash dies in less then 15 seconds its great. but your better off tab targeting and stacking vengence on them if you can pull it off. youll do more dmg, threat, epeen meter growing, etc. But ya if your with nutty dps, use command for better snap threat and dmg if theyre nuking stuff.

---

spec is FUBAR... the two i use are for raids and 5ms. although ive been using the 5m one in icc on stuff like saurfang lately.. big diff is having DG to help healers or reckoning to pewpew threat. (other then attack speed debuff).

~divinity usually just fluffs up overhealing and is a lack luster use of 5 points
    ~hammer cd is nice but doesnt really help tanking much, more of a pvp/nicity
    ~most ppl find 2 points in SA excessive

glyph divine plea and then whatever you want really. but conc f's up your rotation (kinda) so i wouldnt suggest that. personnaly i dont care for the taunt hit, you have two so whats the worst that could happen. salv is nice for another cd that ull never/be to scared to use at first.

enchant wise:
    -stam to gloves
    -better stam to boots
    -armor to cloak if ur dcapped
    -hp to chest
    -IF doing ICC, pvp shoulder enchant
    -IF you arent d capped or need avoidance Hodir rep enchant
    Last edited by Megatwan; 01-19-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatwan View Post
    no, theres good math for this on maintankadin i think. too lazy to dig atm but hp enchant is "better" overall
    Alright i will check some other sites also, Thanks

It's not 10% stats, it's 10 to all stats.

I like command on trash because it makes judgement, melee attacks and shield slam into 3-target threat moves. I do walk around with some slow 1hander for it, it makes it a bit more powerfull.

You can find my armory by checking the link Tankspot provides under my name.

get jcer/bser to more extra stam or other thing you want
    i dont really like that that spec i think its 2 prot deep
    also,dont get glyph of consec it messes up rotation(for me at least)
    get a better shield(farm hors norm) ,but i think that you are more than ready to go icc and do a fine joob

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post

Dude, I argue this till im blue in the face. No one seems to think the same way as I do. PERSONALLY I think the +10 stats is better because it scales with the other stamina and agility buillding things you already have in place. I think it may just be for Prot Pallys like us where it is actually more feasible to use the +10 stats and Nightmare tear (+10 to all stats gem) but +275 health doesnt scale its +275 no matter how you slice it, not like you get an additional %3 from Kings as you woul with the +10 stats.
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

Im sorry, your gonna have to show me the numbers on this. Yes it is a lower amount of health. but with the strength for Parry, Agility for dodge, and stamina for HP I think it is only a slight "downgrade?" (thats not really the word I want to use)
    Last edited by Gotankadin; 01-19-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

Strength gives us Block Value. Only DKs get a portion of parry from strenght. On all other points you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotankadin View Post
    Im sorry, your gonna have to show me the numbers on this. Yes it is a lower amount of health. but with the strength for Parry, Agility for dodge, and stamina for HP I think it is only a slight "downgrade?" (thats not really the word I want to use)
    10 stats, after Kings, equates to:
    12 strength
    11 agility
    12 stam
    11 int
    11 spirit
    Which stems into 22 armor, 0,1% pre-dr dodge, 24 AP, 8 block value and 4 SP.

If the int and spirit stats were useful, and if the agility was a bit better, then you could argue about using +10 stats. 22 def and +270 health just beat that.
    Last edited by Synapse; 01-20-2010 at 01:31 AM.

^^

275 hp > 120hp, 22 armor, 0.1% pre-dr dodge, 8 block value

...in regards to EH raid tanking blah blah

Alright thanks for this lovely input

^^

275 hp > 120hp, 22 armor, 0.1% pre-dr dodge, 8 block value

...in regards to EH raid tanking blah blah
    No, not in regards to EH raid tanking, in almost any regard.
    The other bonuses are simply too small to matter, and if you insist on getting them, there are other ways to get them that work out better.

Face it, the game as it stands favors EH tanks. Avoidance tanking is an option, but it's not as viable in the hardest fights.

If you want to put ten stats on your chest, go for it. It's not a bad enchant, it's just not the best for endgame tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    No, not in regards to EH raid tanking, in almost any regard.
    The other bonuses are simply too small to matter, and if you insist on getting them, there are other ways to get them that work out better.

Face it, the game as it stands favors EH tanks. Avoidance tanking is an option, but it's not as viable in the hardest fights.

If you want to put ten stats on your chest, go for it: It's not a bad enchant, it's just not the best for endgame tanking.

im saying 155 hp is better then 22 armor and 8 block bascily.

so until you can number crunch when 22 armor will be more then 155hp and having your pool staticly larger: yes in 99% of fights its a bad enchant. avoidance tanking is a stupid option for 9/10 fights (probly more than that).

if you wanna use subpar enchants on your chest go for it. its worse then the other cheaper option... dunno what your definition of bad is.

also, if u get stats to chest you probly run with bladeward and that says alot.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Run with this spec, you have about 13 more talent points than you need in Prot. You can shuffle the points around in Ret to what suits you better, but you need 1/2 Imp Judgements and 3/3 Crusade.

As for your glyphs, Righteous Defense is good, drop the other two though, absolutely get the Divine Plea glyph. As for your third glyph, it's a matter of choice, HotR or Judgement are good options. Also get the Sense Undead minor glyph. At +1% damage to undead with the tracker on, it's competitive with many major glyphs.
    Forth, and fear no darkness! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day...a red day...ere the sun rises! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!

im saying 155 hp is better then 22 armor and 8 block bascily.
    I agree with you. That's why I replied the way I did.

+ Reply to Thread