+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 100 Heroics and un-Random Dungeon

100 Heroics and un-Random Dungeon

I was just looking at my Armory since they added some new features and saw that I have completed exactly 100 Heroics. Then I saw this:

The Prophet Tharon'ja kills (Heroic Drak'Tharon Keep): 62
    That's kind of crazy, more than half of my heroics have been DTK. I did most of my heroics before 3.3 came out.

After 3.3 came out, though, I mostly just do 1 heroic per day for my frosts since I'm all tier 9'd and 232'd out in the slots where I don't have better. It's doing this that has made me realize how incorrectly the Random Dungeon feature has been named. I say this because I get Halls of Stone every day of the week except maybe once, when I get Halls of Lightning. Honestly I hate HoS because of the guaranteed five minute boredom fest that is Brann typing at a computer. If I didn't have DBM I would've sworn that encounter took 10 minutes, not 5.

I swear if I use the LFG feature I get Nexus, HoL, HoS, DTK, and Gundrak only. According to my armory I've done Utgarde Keep 14 times and I can almost guarantee you that almost all of those were done before 3.3 came out.

I have no proof besides anecdote, but it seems to me that it'll put people who signed up for random into groups with people who have signed up for something specific. This is most apparent when I sign up for H-HoR, and get people who curse and drop immediately like they got it on random.

So maybe it's only truly random if everyone in the group signed up for random, but if there's a H-HoS or H-GD group waiting on a tank, and you sign up as random, your "random" will be HoS or GD.

Again, just an anecdotal guess.

Nope not random per se. Not even pseudo random!

MMO-Champion BlueTracker - Random LFG = Old Kingdom 80% of the time

About halfway down. You do have to infer a few things, since he doesn't actually spell it out, but that's what reading comprehension is for =p.

Easy way to tell who has specifically queued and who is random, Specific Queues have no Gold Clock, Randoms have a Gold Clock (save for situations where they've been standing around for 15 minutes for some reason)

"No, it's not random. There are some loose gear checks and gear matching systems in place. The Dungeon Finder weights dungeons you've already run a little lower, but then also looks at who is in the queue, what they are in the queue for, and tries to figure out the quickest way to get you inside a dungeon.":

He spells it out right there.

Do not forget the fact that it is quite easy for the human brain to attempt to identify patterns where they do not exist. Out of only fourteen instances you will see a great number of repeats with such a small sample.

I, too, have seen things repeat very similarly to your experiences but then we also remember the "hits" more than the countless times that we don't get the same dungeon in a row.

Is there a possibility that a certain dungeon is favored? Oh yeah, who knows what the devs are up to. I have a gut feeling though that this is just a case of random being random.
    Last edited by Nashiira; 01-19-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djtk View Post
    Maybe I've lurked around the general forums too much...

Or I could pretend that I meant the specific matching algorithm... definitely been around the general forums too much...

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I have no proof besides anecdote, but it seems to me that it'll put people who signed up for random into groups with people who have signed up for something specific. This is most apparent when I sign up for H-HoR, and get people who curse and drop immediately like they got it on random.

So maybe it's only truly random if everyone in the group signed up for random, but if there's a H-HoS or H-GD group waiting on a tank, and you sign up as random, your "random" will be HoS or GD.

Again, just an anecdotal guess.
    I queued for a random with 2 other guild mates. When we got in, we met up with a 3rd guild mate that had queued for a specific instance. Proof!

It would be insane if they wouldn't push people who are looking for a random group into groups queued for specific dungeons. Or else the wait time for the latter players would be even worse.
    So you might get the more popular stuff more often.
    That being said I think I will queue for Oculus this evening. Blue drake sounds secksah!
    Oculus only heroic random dungeons: coming to a battle group next to you!

Speaking of random:
    Third time Patchwerk in a row

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Oculus only heroic random dungeons: coming to a battle group next to you!
    I joke with one of my guildies that he doesn't have randoms, he just signs up to do Oculus.

It's basically a set of queues.

People with a specific dungeon in mind pick from that dungeon's queue AND the random queue.

Speaking of random:
    Got ya beat: We've only ever not had Ulduar as the weekly once since this system came out (ended up being Jaraxxus that week). Otherwise, Razorscale 2 or 3 times, Ignis once or twice, and XT once.

I personally find it hilarious, 'cause I usually take a hunter in my guild for flame leviathan to feed my blue goop addiction on FL.

As for the random dungeons, for about a week I managed to get the exact same dungeon on both my mage and my warrior. It was weird, but wasn't especially bad.

XT 3 times, followed by Anub'rekhan, followed by XT again, followed by Anub'rekhan, and this week, it's Jaraxxus.

lol?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

XT, Malygos, Ignis, Ignis, XT, Malygos here Oddly I'm kind of looking forward to when it's a naxx boss

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    XT, Malygos, Ignis, Ignis, XT, Malygos here Oddly I'm kind of looking forward to when it's a naxx boss
    As long as it's the first one in a wing I don't care. I pugged a Saph/KT 25 with my girl so she could see it (we weren't leading) and it was absolutely horrid. Saph had 10 people up the majority of the fight, I'm guessing those of us who knew wtf we were doing, and KT.....well void zones and chaining ice, coupled with the DPS killing MCs and then combined with the horrible healing going on. Yeah....gimme noth, raz, anub or patch any day, leave the rest off the quest roster please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Wow, Malygos does exist.
    We had Noth the first week, and other than that it's been Flame Levi and Ignis (with a Jaraxxus mixed in last week).

Want a fun random heroic pug?
    H HoS.
    4 times in a row.
    In 80 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Djtk View Post
    "No, it's not random. There are some loose gear checks and gear matching systems in place. The Dungeon Finder weights dungeons you've already run a little lower, but then also looks at who is in the queue, what they are in the queue for, and tries to figure out the quickest way to get you inside a dungeon.":

Doubt it, cause I have been in random groups with horribly under geared players and scrubs in PvP gear.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

I
    That being said I think I will queue for Oculus this evening. Blue drake sounds secksah!

Speaking of random:
    Um, you can't get the drake if you queue for Oculus, if I understood it right. Have to be randomed in...

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Doubt it, cause I have been in random groups with horribly under geared players and scrubs in PvP gear.
    Ok now I feel justified .

Since everyone has been ignoring the blue post I linked. Culminating in someone doubting the relevant portion.

Sorry, don't mean to pick on you Rennadrel.

+ Reply to Thread