+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Pally Tanking

Prot Pally Tanking

I've been playing for close to 4yrs now and find I am still learning. So any and all advice you give will be greatly appreciated. I am currently working to improve my tank abilities/gear to raid level. I run heroics on a daily basis (the new dungeon finder is awesome and we all know tanks have NO wait time to start! )

So, here is my character armory: Kandoril Level 80 Blood Elf Paladin
    For those of you with GearScore, I am currently at: 3526

As I work to improve my gear, I am keeping a close eye on my DEF. I make sure i don't go below 535, but strive to keep 540 if possible. I have my rotation down quiite well for the 9696 attack, and only occasionally lose aggro when a better geared or very high dps pulls threat from me. Irritating, but I know I need better gear, so I deal. I know I need to get my Hit Rating up, and can use a ton more stamina. I know my libram is green and quite horrible, but I figure it's not my main concern since I am doing ok in heroics. I'll fix that prior to my first raid run. 35 emblems will do the trick. (Libram of Defiance)

So, all things considered, look me over and offer any advice/constructive criticism you can to help. I spent so much time making level 80's (i have a mage, a rogue, and a 77 DK) that I let my tanking lapse. This is my favorite character and I want to develop him fully. Thanks in advance!

Kandoril

PS. I've been reading how Seal of Vengeance offers more threat than Seal of Corruption? True or no? I use Corruption.

They are the same seal. Horde uses Corruption, Alliance uses Vengeance.

You may be confusing it with Seal of Command! SoComm is an excellent aoe tanking seal, but only if you have reckoning in your spec. Overall it's not something to worry about. If you can tank with SoV, you can tank with SoComm.

I won't reply with gear upgrades, I'm sure you already have ones planned out, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Gem for dodge instead of parry (Dodge has less of a Diminishing Return than parry does) if you want avoidance.

2. If you glyph for Seal of Corruption (+10 Expertise when active) you can drop any expertise enchants/gems and be above the dodge soft cap, allowing you to focus more on stam or avoidance enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by GŁth View Post
    I won't reply with gear upgrades, I'm sure you already have ones planned out, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Gem for Agility instead of parry (Dodge has less of a Diminishing Return than parry does) if you want avoidance.

2. If you glyph for Seal of Corruption (+10 Expertise when active) you can drop any expertise enchants/gems and be above the dodge soft cap, allowing you to focus more on stam or avoidance enchants.
    Fixed. Agility is for bears and paladins, dodge is for warriors and DKs. The reason is posted elsewhere here and in maintankadin.com, if you want to know why.

Expertise should be favoured over Agility if you are below expertise cap.

Your right Insahnity but atm he is bashing up heroics not raiding so TBH he wont have threat issues.

I would suggest you just stuff stam everywhere only socket what you need to keep def capped and light your meta up. You have stuff like +15expertise on wrist where you could have +40stam.

You will get more complaints about your HP than your threat, its not right but its the most obvious thing to the LFG retards.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

@ OP: Don't worry terribly much about hit rating, as you said, you need loads more of tanking stats (stamina, etc.), pile those on. Don't be afraid of defense rating, there's a reason 535/540 are defense minimum, not cap.

I notice you chose Sanctity of Battle over Crusade. On non-Crusade mobs they're just about even, however for humanoids, undead, demons and elementals, Crusade wins. May help you edge out zealous dps as they creep up to the threat ceiling.
    - Ryan
    Oft hope is born when all is forlorn - LoTR3: RoTK

Great Advice! Thanks!

Changes have been made to my talents (dropped 1 Spiritual Attunement, 2 Sanctity of Battle, and 2 Conviction) and added (3 Crusade, 2 Vindication).

New Glyphs: Seal of Vengeance and Hammer of the Righteous

New armor and gems with some new enchants. Creeping up on Level Two Tank specs per Maintankadin: Maintanka Levels.

If armory has updated, you can see changes here Kandoril

This is my personal spec take it for a grain of salt, but its treated me very well and have no intention on changing it any time soon. The World of Warcraft Armory - Aerosol @ Khaz'goroth - Talents

+ Reply to Thread