+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking in H.HoR

Tanking in H.HoR

Now, as a DK tank Blood Spec, in H.HoR, I find that I'm having a bit of aggro issue. Not so much on the main target, but the other adds that are running around. DnD and Pestilence can only do so much and I have a feeling I'm not being the best tank I could be for that instance. So does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could improve? I especially find the chase fight rather chaotic in trying to hold all the Aboms and the Witch Dr's.

For the initial HARD adds, I'm afraid your options are limited. You'll need to do everything in the book to pick up adds and that will include taunts, Death and Decay and Death Grip. Anti Magic Shell will work wonders during the ones with mass Mages and debuff prevention. And go with an order with killing adds. I find that Priests > Mercs > Foot > Mages > Marksman is a good kill-order because of their urgency to kill rises with what they can do. Priests heal all the adds if left unchecked. Mercs can random aggro, stun and rip clothies. Foot are just a big elite with beats. Mages AOE a bit but are avoidable to take much damage. Marksman can freeze random people but only for a few secs.

For the gauntlet chase, blow the ghouls then just hold the Abomination but don't let the DPS focus on that. Tell them to focus on the Witch Docs as they are the main brunt of the damage. The Abominations are the ball and chain of the encounter. You take them last because by then the main threat will be gone.

Hope that helps.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

LoS is really the only way to handle the pulls as blood. Wait for the melee adds to close on you, drop dnd, apply plagues, pest, deathgrip in the furthest caster, strangulate another if you've got it up, and then go into the tab/bloodboil/rune-strike-macro phase. If you see anything start to peel off of you, taunt it and go smack it with a strike for good measure.

On wave 9 i usually pop army of the dead. It can be done without it, but i've found using it prevents poor runs of luck with the rogue/mage adds incapacitating me and gunning down the healer.

The chase is more of the same (easier in my opinion), except you're relatively free to ignore the low-hp, low-damage ghoul wave that comes first (blood boil a few times if the dps are going to be slow and the healer might take hits) and save runes. Make sure you have a well-placed dnd on the big boys as they approach, and make doubly sure you make every strangulate and mind-freeze count to re-position the casters in order to hold their aggro. It's bloody impossibly to proc rune-strikes on those things, so your best bet is to just focus your efforts on the aboms and yank the casters around as needed.

Yea the first room waves I don't have issues with. I usually can do decent with the waves, save maybe the last 3 or so. At least there's no 2 rogues on the last wave, thank god.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I do run H.HoR for the chase fight. I suppose I'll have to have my camera at max range so I can see all of whats going on.

What about positioning the Aboms so that their spit doesn't hit the group?

That too. Pretty much that's the number one thing with tanking, never have enemies faced towards the group because of possible cone damage.

Is it better to have the aboms facing to the side or completely opposite of the group?

Just as long as it isn't face at people it's okay. That spew plus a shadow bolt to the face is a damaging combo (FYI, it increases damage taken).

Also, for the Unkill race, the witch doctors' core damage is aoe. They can be left untanked and any melee can handle their damage.

The basic premise of that gauntlet is "Kill what can't be kited first". Death Grip does wonders there.

I know it does. Death Grip is usually on CD during that part of the fight.

+ Reply to Thread