+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: please help, have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Djtk View Post
    Your idea about gemming to match the +9 stam bonus intriges me. Can you give me your reasoning for that?
    +10 Expertise/+10 Defense/+10 Dodge and +15 Stamina gives +24 stamina while getting while gaining other benefits, worth the +6 Stamina you are losing.

I see your point. I may consider regemming.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Djtimekiller @ Terenas - Profile

This is how I'm currently gemmed. Any tips would be appreciated. Always looking to improve on him. Yes I know my gear needs improving and I'm not asking about gear here.

I would grab a 15 stam 10 defense gem in your helmet. Grab 225 armor on your cloak and get the pvp enchant for your shouders.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    +10 Expertise/+10 Defense/+10 Dodge and +15 Stamina gives +24 stamina while getting while gaining other benefits, worth the +6 Stamina you are losing.
    In addition, you do also have to match at least 1 red socket bonus to activate your meta.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I'd be more inclined to take the PvP should enchant if it didn't have resilliance on it, since resilliance is useless in PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafnarakwa View Post
    no problems holding aggro, but i take damage as if a train is crashing into my face. help me out please.
    It's what tanks do.
    They take a train in the face for starters, get hit by a truck as a main course, walk under falling pianos as dessert and they wash it all down with some Chateau de Ohmygodithurtsmakeitstop.

Often, they are left still wanting more, though, so there's always running into a wall as a snack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    I would grab a 15 stam 10 defense gem in your helmet.
    Can't. This will not keep my meta-gem active and I just blew 140 gold...

Edit #1: You should of said the +10 parry rating and +15 stam gem.

Edit #2: Ironically, I am now over the 37k hp mark in Frost, how ironic, lol.

Edit #3: Rawr actually states that the Greater Inscription of the Gladiator is the best enchant for my shoulders right now. So I'll be getting those as well.

Thanks for the help guys .
    Last edited by Djtk; 01-18-2010 at 02:31 PM.

2 random heroics should net you the 10 emblems of triumph you need to buy a mixed color gem. So if you do 4 of those randoms, you can have a green epic gem and a purple, and you can do the 15sta/10def in your helm for the bonus and 15sta/10dodge elsewhere for your meta activation.

Only 4 heroics. That's like 1 hour. Maybe 1.5 hours.

Yea, thats exactly what I did. I put the 15sta/10dodge on my bracers.

I'd be more inclined to take the PvP should enchant if it didn't have resilliance on it, since resilliance is useless in PvE.
    Resilience isn't completely useless, it does contribute towards determining if you are uncritable. But once you are over the defense cap it is "pointless".

Don't think about resilience as a bad thing Djtk just take into account the 30 stamina you gain from taking it instead of any alternative enchants avaliable.

Yea I know. I got the inscription. Im sitting at like 37k hp and a bit now.

the bonus

Your idea about gemming to match the +9 stam bonus intriges me. Can you give me your reasoning for that?
    I would have to say its more for the additional benefits of the other part of the gem, not so much the stamina. For instance your chest is 3 gem slots, a red and two blues. the bonus is +12 stamina (120hp)for having the correct gems. and we will say you are a JC. So in the red slot you put the +10Agi/+15sta gem.(150hp) and 2 Solid Dragon's eye (+51). (1020hp).
    Almost 1300 HP total from gemming it properly + you are getting dodge/armor from the agi.

Now same scenario. except this time you are forgoing the bonus slot yes, you get 30 more HP (whoopie!). Better chance to dodge, and an increase in armor is much more effective than 30 hp imho.
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

Quote Originally Posted by Gotankadin View Post
    I would have to say its more for the additional benefits of the other part of the gem, not so much the stamina. For instance your chest is 3 gem slots, a red and two blues. the bonus is +12 stamina (120hp)for having the correct gems. and we will say you are a JC. So in the red slot you put the +10Agi/+15sta gem.(150hp) and 2 Solid Dragon's eye (+51). (1020hp).
    Almost 1300 HP total from gemming it properly + you are getting dodge/armor from the agi.
    Ahh no, wrong. Gemming a chest for a +12 stam bonus if it has 3 sockets, 2 of which are not blue, you're actually losing 18 stamina, or 180 hit points(plus modifiers).

Case 1:
    3x30 stam gems = 90 stam
    Case 2:
    1x30 stam gem, 1x 10dodge/15stam 1x 10defense/15stam matches a +12 bonus
    30+15+15+12 = 72 stam

For a loss of 180 hit points and you only gain 10 defense and 10 dodge. It's like gemming for a +6 stam bonus only you do it twice in 1 piece of gear.

The +12 stam bonus would be like in a helm that's just the meta and a red socket with +12 stam. In that scenario you are only losing 3 stam but gaining 10 dodge.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Wouldn't the loss be only 75HP? This is based off him using 2 JC Only Stamina Gems(+51 Stam) instead of the +30 gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Ahh no, wrong. Gemming a chest for a +12 stam bonus if it has 3 sockets, 2 of which are not blue, you're actually losing 18 stamina, or 180 hit points(plus modifiers).

Case 1:
    3x30 stam gems = 90 stam
    Case 2:
    1x30 stam gem, 1x 10dodge/15stam 1x 10defense/15stam matches a +12 bonus
    30+15+15+12 = 72 stam

For a loss of 180 hit points and you only gain 10 defense and 10 dodge. It's like gemming for a +6 stam bonus only you do it twice in 1 piece of gear.

The +12 stam bonus would be like in a helm that's just the meta and a red socket with +12 stam. In that scenario you are only losing 3 stam but gaining 10 dodge.

not to get to nitpicky here but I said a chest item with 1 red and 2 blue sockets.

But for the sake of arguement In the case of the item having 1 blue 1 yellow and one red, your are 100% correct. It wouldn't be worth going for the socket bonus. But getting back to the original example 1 red slot and 2 blues with a +12 stamina socket bonus. and the toon being a JC I think it makes enough of a difference to actually go for the socket bonus because you are only losing 30hp in the original example. I mean, realistically, its YOUR character and you can play him however you want. If you want to wear a bicycle helmet and lick the candy flavored windows, thats up to you too. As one of the previous posters stated Paladins get more out of agility than DKs and warriors do. So to the original poster, in this case gem str/sta for the red slot. Unless your a JC its not going to matter, because the Dragon's eyes more than make up for any combination of stuff that you can have as a non-JCer.
    Last edited by Gotankadin; 01-19-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: more to say, someone was looking over my shoulder
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

The idea of gemming to match bonuses of 9 stam (or more) holds true even if you aren't a JC. The emphasis is NOT on which blue gems you are using. The emphasis is on the hybrid gem.
    To illustrate: Belt of Broken Bones - Item - World of Warcraft (with buckle)
    Socket | Case A | Case B
    Red | 30 sta | 10agi/15sta
    Blue | 30 sta | 30 sta
    Pris | 30 sta | 30 sta
    Bonus | --- | 9 sta
    The two blues are constant, so ignore those. In Case B, you lose 6 stamina to gain 10 agil. This is generally deemed a decent trade, especially if that one red gem is what you need for your meta.
    Compare this to: Breastplate of the White Knight - Item - World of Warcraft
    Socket | Case A | Case B
    Red | 30 sta | 10agi/15sta
    Yel | 30 sta | 10def/15sta
    Blue | 30 sta | 30 sta
    Bonus | --- | 12 sta
    In case B you lose 18 stam to get 10 agi and 10 defense. This is 1.5x the sacrifice compared to the last situation, and most people draw the line between them.

If you haven't noticed, I'm a fan of agility in red sockets. More armor is lovely.
    Last edited by Taio; 01-19-2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: formatting, not easy XD

While that does work, I'd only be filling that socket to hit the meta bonus anyway, were it non-existent, I'd spring for 30 stam. The idea here is to get the most bang for your buck since you have to take the hit anyway, so you want to match a 9 or 12 stam bonus while sacrificing as little EH as possible. Also, agility scales much better for paladins than it does for warriors, and as such I'd rather just go for dodge.

EDIT: To address your "armor is sexy" comment, I'd just replace that belt with the badge one and call it good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    agility scales much better for paladins than it does for warriors
    Only for dodge and crit! Armor is constant!

I didn't specifically say it before, Dread, but it's true so I'll say it anyway. Armor is sexy. ^^

Thinking about changing my note from Tankaholic to Armorholic. Doesn't flow as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaio View Post
    Thinking about changing my note from Tankaholic to Armorholic. Doesn't flow as well though.
    Turtle shell reference? No?

At any rate you're right. I think I may go for the agi/stam gem in my belt now. Dodge has never really appealed to me, I just figured I'd change it since I really don't need the 1 expertise skill.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 01-19-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread