+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: please help, have a few questions

please help, have a few questions

no problems holding aggro, but i take damage as if a train is crashing into my face. help me out please.

Armory is here. any help that anyone can point me to, would be cool. Thanks!

No shoulder enchant, parry rating is bad for DK's (go for dodge if you insist on going avoidance/stam gems), weapons are pretty poor, and trinkets are subpar.

I see nothing blatant that would say you should take that much more damage than other tanks. What, specificly, is killing you?

For your enchants gem all 30 stamina unless the socket bonus is 9 stamina or higher. Grab the pvp enchant for your shoulders,18 stamina to gloves, change your cloak enchant to 225 armor and 275 health to your chest. Get the triumph shoulders, helmet and trinket. Get the cloak as your next triumph piece. Grab Rimfang's Claw or The Peace Keeper Blade. Changing your profession would be favorable. The top choices are JCing, BS, Mining and enchanting with viable choices being Engineering and Alchemy.
    Last edited by krc; 01-17-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Shoulder enchant

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    For your enchants gem all 30 stamina unless the socket bonus is 9 stamina or higher. Grab the pvp enchant for your shoulders,18 stamina to gloves, change your cloak enchant to 225 armor and 275 health to your shoulders. Get the triumph shoulders, helmet and trinket. Get the cloak as your next triumph piece. Grab Rimfang's Claw or The Peace Keeper Blade. Changing your profession would be favorable. The top choices are JCing, BS, Mining and enchanting with viable choices being Engineering and Alchemy.

Why are you saying grab the PVP enchant for shoulders when the inscription enchant(thats right, i said inscription) is the BiS enchant for shoulders, followed a close second by the Hodir rep(which is terribly easy to get now) enchants? I'm not 100% familiar with the PVP shoulder enchants, so if im WAY off base here, please enlighten me. Also, I don't think there is a +275 health enchant to shoulders, chest slot maybe, but the +10 stats enchant would scale better, even though it only offers +100 HP, it also offers +10 agility, which increases your dodge, and armor as well. And if you are doing your Daily Random, save up and get the frost badge cloak, then put the +agi enchant on it.

As a suggestion, Gather up all the herbs you are going to need to get your inscription up to ~425, then get your shoulder enchants (rather than dropping both of your professions.) Pick up mining for the extra stamina it offers, or go JC for the JC only +51 stamina gems. Also I don't entirely agree with just stacking stamina gems in all your slots. It seems kinda silly. Unless the bonus is something dumb, why not use a +dodge/agi/parry/def +Stam gem so you still get the +dodge/agi/stam bonus the piece offers? After all, Avoiding damage (or mitigating it through armor) still helps your survivability.

As someone who plays two different tanking classes, I still gem the same stats for both characters, although on my paladin has the added bonus of Block (which there isnt a gem for!)

Anyway. hope this helps.

Gotankadin
    Last edited by Gotankadin; 01-17-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: additional information
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

The pvp enchant adds 30 stamina, which in current encounters is better than the Hodir enchant since all the bosses that are threats to tanks favor EH so much. And yes I will aknowlege that the inscription enchant is better but your professions are much better suited in the ones I listed above since they add 60 stamina.

About the chest, that was a typo and honestly 10 agility is by know means worth all that much agility adds very few armor and a small amount of avoidance which is not worth around 20 stamina if you look at the scaling of the 10 stam with kings. And I don't see why you would ever want to use the agility for your cloak since you lose 170 armor for a very small amount of avoidance and crit which is not needed and not a very good stat to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    The pvp enchant adds 30 stamina, which in current encounters is better than the Hodir enchant since all the bosses that are threats to tanks favor EH so much...
    And I don't see why you would ever want to use the agility for your cloak since you lose 170 armor for a very small amount of avoidance and crit which is not needed and not a very good stat to begin with.

Thanks for the info on the PVP enchant. I forget sometimes that I am talking about a DK here and they don't benefit from Devotion Aura (pally armor self buff) On my DK tank, yes I would probably take the + to armor enchant on the cloak. But I would still honestly still take the +10 all stats, I know, im probably being a little bit mush headed about it. but the +275 health is just that. +275 health. It doesnt scale at all. now take that +10 stats, with the other stuff you stack with your stamina, with the +agi for dodge/armor, use kings' +%3 it kinda evens out. I mean, Im not a mathmatician or anything, but im just saying.
    I'm not the man hiding behind the door in fear of danger. I'm the one that knocks... -WW, BB

I mean you could argue for the the 10 stats considering that it scales and it adds 10 agility. It isn't going to have too large differences in EH considering that with the agility added armor they are going to be close in EH with a small bit of avoidance and crit with the 10 to all.

Keep in mind, only DK Blood Tanks should be gemming for pure Stam.

Quote Originally Posted by Djtk View Post
    Keep in mind, only DK Blood Tanks should be gemming for pure Stam.
    And your reasoning for this is? Am a frost tank myself and gemming more or less only stam for survival reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    And your reasoning for this is? Am a frost tank myself and gemming more or less only stam for survival reasons.
    I chuckled a little too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    Blood Tanks are somewhat similar to Bears, in that they require large health pools. Frost Tanks are going to do things a bit differently. They also have more in terms of mitigating damage, where as Blood only has self-healing to help offset any damage.

Blood Tanks have the following at their disposal;

Death Strike (10% heals with 2 diseases up)
    Vampiric Blood + Imp. Rune Tap.

Then there's IBF and a couple of others that all DKs have access to. So its perfectly logical for Blood Tanks to gem/enchant mainly for stam, as long as they meet the other Tank requirements first.

So then what does a frost tank gem for?

Don't know. I dont' tank as Frost, so I honestly couldn't tell ya.

Don't know. I dont' tank as Frost, so I honestly couldn't tell ya.
    /whisper

Stamina.

Well that may be, but Frost have more mitigation than Blood does, so Blood requires more Stamina than Frost does.

That being said, Stamina is always a plus on a tank.

i have read in a few places that recommend getting 2 dps 1 handers to dw tank. should i go for dps 1 handers, or go for tank 1 handers? and is it worth to throw any gems toward expertise or dodge? or just go stam all the way?

okay for ICC ALL tanks should be socketing for stam since the 20% dodge nerf any other avoidance gem is next to useless in there, And yes for DW tanking u want 2 1h dps weps

and on a side note i dont care how much avoidance u have as a tank when u get and u will you need to beable to take the hit

Well that may be, but Frost have more mitigation than Blood does, so Blood requires more Stamina than Frost does.

That being said, Stamina is always a plus on a tank.
    Pretty much all tank gemming is the same. I honestly don't know about druids, but the only real differences I can tell are what various tanks will use to match red sockets that give +9 stam or more to. (below softcap, expertise/stam, or dodge/stam or agi/stam if you get better throughput from it etc. You get my drift).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Your idea about gemming to match the +9 stam bonus intriges me. Can you give me your reasoning for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hafnarakwa View Post
    i have read in a few places that recommend getting 2 dps 1 handers to dw tank. should i go for dps 1 handers, or go for tank 1 handers? and is it worth to throw any gems toward expertise or dodge? or just go stam all the way?
    Okay regarding weapons for DW Tanking.

2 Slow DPS weapons = Threat
    2 Tank Weapons = Survivability

2 Tank Weapon is perfectly okay if you are not having threat issues.

Gems for Expertise or Dodge.
    Gem for Expertise to get to the 26 soft cap only.
    Gem for Dodge to activate a Metagem or for a +9 socket bonus, and only if the socket bonus is Stamina.

+ Reply to Thread