+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epic newb moments.

Epic newb moments.

1) didn't read the "tram" quest, swam from westfall to wetlands trying to get to IF.
    2) after getting my first flyer, jumped off aldor rise to see if i could mount while falling. ps you can't = splat.
    3) wondered why LFD wasn't working... did not click tank...

anyone else got any?

Doc

Sure, on my first toon (a mage) I didn't know anything about durability and repairs (my wife had introduced me to the game the night before and she wasn't home at the time). As I reached level 8 or so I started trying to kill the gnolls in Elwyn. Sure, I'd noticed the little yellow stick figure turning red, but I had no idea what it meant. Almost two hours later I was cussing and swearing I'd quit the stupid game forever when my lovely wife returned, and informed me that all my gear was broken so I was essentially fighting naked.

Then she logged in on her "big" level 13 mage and owned those stupid gnolls for me.
    Last edited by TomHuxley; 01-17-2010 at 02:14 PM.

I started playing WoW, couple of years ago, on my own. I chose Warrior, because I thought it would be simpler than the others, and I also had an urgent need to just hit things...I also joined a pve server, because it sounded easier than pvp, and role-play didn't make any sense to me, either.

Every once in a while, people would whisper me, asking if I wanted to join a guild. I would usually ignore them, or just type no, and quickly move on. I knew they were real people, behind those characters, but I did not get the concept of grouping online--my first such game, in this genre, although, if I met someone out in the world, I'd help them, if I thought they needed it...just didn't want to talk...

Well, I was in Auberdine one night, and there was a Horde player, attacking all the guards, and everyone, with the alert going out on the general channel. I located him, and attacked...I was around level 21, and he must have been near max level, because I was dead before a second swing. I came back to find my body, and the moment I rezzed, he attacked me again! After the third time, I realised this guy was just having fun, at my expense, so I waited, in wisp form, until he got bored, and left.

That was the night I was introduced to camping, pvp-flagging, and talent tree selection. Yep, I started studying the game rules, and came across the interesting little tidbit about talent selection. I had not used it, at all! Man, those mobs were a lot easier to kill, after that!!

That's the blessing/curse for WoW. There's such vastness in the game, it's near impossible to know everything about it. Makes it exciting, but at times, frustrating.

Kinda like real life, eh?
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

I use Autobar, it arranges things for me on the side of my screen. One thing it arranges is mounts. I was in grizzly hills, had just landed and was wanting to pull out my flying mount and go to a certain point.

well autobar sometimes doesnt get the right mount ready, and i had last used a land mount. I pressed the button, it summoned and before the animation had completed, i took 2 steps towards the edge of a very high platform and jump off.

If i had gotten the right mount, i'd have soared into the sky and been on my way.

instead i jump, hung in mid air for an instant and plummeted down a cliff side to my death.

I'm more careful about mount choice now

Just last night I was running through Nexus (I think I'd stopped to pick a herb, so the rest of the group was ahead of me). Being the tank, I wanted to catch up quickly so popped Unholy Presence and caught up with them, switching to Blood as I reached them.

Sitting next to my husband, I start ranting, "This damn Pally, he's obviously just going crazy on the mob before I - look I just TAUNTED it! What is he doing?! Has he got Righteous Fury up?!" Much to my husband's delight, this was followed a few moments later by, "Oh. Frost Presence would probably help."

Sigh . lol

I have one I did just tonight. I recently came back from a 6 month break to my account being backed. They moved my main to another realm, took all my gold, ect. So while waiting to get it all sorted out with Blizz I finished leveling my 70 DK to 80.

Tonight while running heroic HoS the tank pulled and a caster stayed back casting, like normal. I seen the caster and pat coming, thought I'd help out and throw Strangulate on the caster so it'd move in. Well, that part worked fine except when my pet ran after the mob and ended up pulling the pat, which chain pulled another set of mobs x.x it was horrible. I felt so stupid.

In my defense though I haven't played in 6 months >.> lol, and I'm not use to having a pet, hence the main that got transferred was a prot pally. Either way, it was a newb moment, and trust me I felt like a newb.

I usually run around with my IRL bud and back when WoW 1st started. I was running with my priest and him on his lock. It happened in Gurubashi where we were playing horde in newb land, killed a few mobs and was heading back to hand the Qs in.

Both chatting happily about how we cleared the Qs, we came to a cliff (I was merrily running behind him) and he jumped... I jumped too. 5 minutes of 2 corpses at the bottom of the cliff, and 2 idiots tearing from all the laughter we rezzed.

I guess we took the "You jump, I jump" a little too seriously in WoW... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    I'm more careful about mount choice now
    Did almost exactly the same just the other day after a fun naxx25 run. Mounted (what I thought was) my bird and jumped out only to discover I was on my cat and falling to my death. Half the guild standing up top having a blast :-)

As a much more recent newb moment, when I was leveling my pally through outlands a couple months ago I was thrilled to get to finally re-enact the moments I'd witnessed several times in BC when pallies would decide not to wait for the elevator, leaping off and bubbling so they landed safely below.

Alas, on my first try I pushed the bubble a bit soon, and fell a bit long...having it end just in time for me to go splat on the ground below. Thankfully no one was there to see it

When I started levelling my warrior I went MS spec cuz it sounded coolest.

Then I got a beefy 2 hander and couldn't stand how slow it attacked. So I went dual wield. While specced arms. Then, when I couldn't stand how much damage I was taking I would go SnB and defensive stance.

I think I did this until I got the Ice Barbed Spear, so 10 whole levels of being a DW/SnB Arms warrior.

I will admit i am still a noob lol. But before a very helpful player invited me to there guild i was a cloth/leather/mail wearing prot warrior with a single handed weapon and no shield. The first 10 levels was just one big noob moment.

My biggest noob moment would have to have been using rank 1 Shadow Bolt for maybe about 30 levels without noticing anything. Granted once I got my normal rank Shadow Bolt it got a ton easier to level.

I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking it's "epic bewb moments." It's weird, because n's don't look anything like b's.

First time buying from the AH, I panicked because I couldn't find what I just bought in my inventory.

Taking the new zepplin to TB thinking it would be faster than the flight path... /facepalm

Taking the new zepplin to TB thinking it would be faster than the flight path... /facepalm
    you too, damn i thought i was the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    you too, damn i thought i was the only one
    What they were thinking when they designed that route, i hope i never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    It is free. You have the choice between "Slow and Free" and "Not quite as Slow and Costs a Bit".

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    It's still faster then running, which you have to do atleast once to get the FP as long as you quest a bit while levelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I got Lavanthor's Talisman(blue +block trinket) after hunting for it for one year. Let's just say I propably won't be using it any time soon. Still I finally got it. I finally have only 3% chance that boss mobs can land a white hit on me. It costs me about 7k life and 3k armor but still...
    So I put on my block set, flew to Ice Crown and picked one big elite mob that only does physical damage. The plan was to kill it without lifting a weapon. I wanted to see how long it took. So I reset recount, pulled the mob and went into the kitchen because I had come over all peckish.
    After 5 minutes I return to my computer, sandwitch in hand, just to be greeted by my corpse and the question if I want to release.
    Lesson learned: Going AFK + mob who kicks you around + great heights = bad decision.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

+ Reply to Thread