+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burnished Quel'Serrar vs Bonebreakers Sceptre

Burnished Quel'Serrar vs Bonebreakers Sceptre

I've been using BQS for awhile now, but just tonight i've won a Bonebreakers Scepter from 10m ICC. I've heard quite a few people praising its virtues so I happily rolled and won.

However, upon checking Rawr for Prot Paladin, it shows BQS nearly 500 points ahead in survival and over 1200 points ahead in mitigation. Is it correct? Admittedly the scepter is nearly 900 points ahead in threat but threat isn't a problem for me atm.

Is my rawr out of date, as its putting BQS as best in slot currently for prot paladin? Or have I been taking my main hand for granted?

First, check the tooltip on Rawr. If it says '8% melee attack' as the proc chance, you have a version of the item data which was released with broken parsing. If it was '2 PPM' it should be correct. The 2 PPM calculation is a fair bit lower than the erroneous 8% version. Right-clicking and reloading the item data from WoWHead should correct that problem if you have the newest version.

That said, it's likely that the proc on the BQS will be worth more mitigation/survival than the ICC-10 weapons. The proc has very high uptime, and is in the 50%+ range on most bosses.

If you need the threat (I use The Facelifter for threat) or have something against procs, the ICC-10 weapons are pretty good--but Rawr isn't really inaccurate in regard to the average proc value on the BQS being worth a lot more than the passive stats on many weapons.

Armor is great and, in EH terms, you really only have the Anub-10H weapons with bonus armor on them available as a passive alternative.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Blast, this makes me want to get Burnished Quel'serrar even more... so far no drops...

Mine was outdated like you suggested. The numbers aren't as glaringly obvious, but in terms of survival and mitigation it still comes way ahead. Bonebreakers even higher in threat now as well. I guess i'll chant it and keep it for times when i'm having threat problems, but i've yet to find threat to be an issue.

I'm almost semi pleased, even if the numbers are a bit of a buzz kill, BQS looks amazing while the scepter looks pretty crap.

Yeah, I passed on the scepter the other night in favor of my BQS. Even if the Scepter is a slight upgrade in some ways, I'm just too in love to give up my BQS easily. The armor and defense proc on it are just too damned amazing.

I love my scepter.... it has a little skull on it.... and I can see my mongoose enchant =P

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

The Facelifter looks great, though!
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

I'm envious... I want Facelifter... so far we've had dps issues on Saurfang, though, so it might be a while. Then two Bloodletter Blade's from Saurfang 25 for my DK...

Facelifter looks sick, when I get that it'll be my threat weapon and scepter will get the blood draining.

Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    Facelifter looks sick, when I get that it'll be my threat weapon and scepter will go in the bank.
    fixt
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

NO DREAD! /squirtbottle get back in your cage!

Agg's tanking guide

NO DREAD! /squirtbottle get back in your cage!
    I've always advocated what happens behind closed doors should stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Vene did a great run down of available tanking weapons on his blog : The World of Weapons - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-15-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Vene did a great run down of available tanking weapons on his blog : The World of Weapons - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    I disagree completely with his assessments of the Quel'Serrar blades.

Quote Originally Posted by dreador View Post
    i've always advocated what happens behind closed doors should stay there.
    lawl

Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    I disagree completely with his assessments of the Quel'Serrar blades.
    I haven't gotten one to test out yet, but at least on the surface level I would disagree as well...

...and I actually think a 2.0 speed would be a nice balance of speed and damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    I haven't gotten one to test out yet, but at least on the surface level I would disagree as well...

...and I actually think a 2.0 speed would be a nice balance of speed and damage...

From a warrior standpoint the slower speed is a weakness, not a strength. I personally don't like procced weapons, I prefer to have a steady base when it comes to avoidance and EH. Quel'serrar was the bomb digity in vanilla but it's counterparts don't really measure up to it in WotLK.

Agg's tanking guide

From a warrior standpoint the slower speed is a weakness, not a strength. I personally don't like procced weapons, I prefer to have a steady base when it comes to avoidance and EH. Quel'serrar was the bomb digity in vanilla but it's counterparts don't really measure up to it in WotLK.
    BQS has a very high uptime and trounces the EH of every weapon out there other than the Anub-10H weapon.

I'm not certain how a guide can say they love bonus armor (for good reason) and then completely dismiss a weapon with a 50%+ uptime armor proc.

If you care much about avoidance, you don't care that it's a proc since 50% is pretty reliable and it's no more unreliable than avoidance. (How is 1.5% chance to Dodge better than 50% chance to have a lot of Armor?)

If you care much about EH, you'll realize it still has more than enough Stamina compared to other weapons even without the proc...so the fact that you have 1,550 Armor half the fight is really just icing on the cake--one can't really argue that Rimefang's Claw having 3 more Stamina on it makes it The Big Winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    BQS has a very high uptime and trounces the EH of every weapon out there other than the Anub-10H weapon.

I'm not certain how a guide can say they love bonus armor (for good reason) and then completely dismiss a weapon with a 50%+ uptime armor proc.

If you care much about avoidance, you don't care that it's a proc since 50% is pretty reliable and it's no more unreliable than avoidance. (How is 1.5% chance to Dodge better than 50% chance to have a lot of Armor?)

If you care much about EH, you'll realize it still has more than enough Stamina compared to other weapons even without the proc...so the fact that you have 1,550 Armor half the fight is really just icing on the cake--one can't really argue that Rimefang's Claw having 3 more Stamina on it makes it The Big Winner.
    Bonebreaker Scepter - Item - World of Warcraft has quite a bit more Stam than Burnished Quel'Serrar - Item - World of Warcraft, I don't think Rimefang's Claw - Item - World of Warcraft was part of the discussion. Also my first choice for a weapon would be Crusader's Glory - Item - World of Warcraft. 50% of the time still isn't 100% of the time lol.

My main gripe with the weapon is really the slow attack speed which was the statement I was addressing.
    Last edited by Inaara; 01-15-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Agg's tanking guide

Bonebreaker Scepter - Item - World of Warcraft has quite a bit more Stam than Burnished Quel'Serrar - Item - World of Warcraft, I don't think Rimefang's Claw - Item - World of Warcraft was part of the discussion. Also my first choice for a weapon would be Crusader's Glory - Item - World of Warcraft. 50% of the time still isn't 100% of the time lol.

My main gripe with the weapon is really the slow attack speed which was the statement I was addressing.
    The guide he was talking about originally was crowning Rimefang's Claw is where that is coming from I think.

+ Reply to Thread