+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Single Target Threat

  1. #1

    Single Target Threat

    So, I'll start by saying that the title says it all. I have no problem whatsoever with trash in ICC and holding threat. As a pally, it's what I strive on, and I do damn good at it. When it gets to bosses, I find that I am being constantly tailed and in threat by a few DPS in my guild / raid. I know I should see this is a good thing that they are doing such amazing dps, but at the same token is there something I'm doing wrong? I use the 9/6/9 rotation, I always have RF on, I'll toss out my avengers shield in the rotation when it comes up, my spec is standard crusade spec for more threat, i've got the expertise...what am I missing? Armory below. (Also I do have the frost badge tanking gloves, but my account got hacked and i'm still waiting on those to be returned to me)
    Noob Prot Pally - Armory

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the cloud.
    Posts
    2,279
    Good friend of mine and pally tank made this video.

    rotation.flv video by kidman2505 - Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pontiac,Mi
    Posts
    114
    Ahh yeah it's a bit dated, obviously you can't fling exo in there without a care anymore lol. The same goes with new librams. Whether you use the block value ones, or dodge ones etc. Was using the available goods atm :3

    It's also important to note, that since your up and coming that Hit is going to affect what your putting out. There's a wealth of threads here on hit needs. I'd link them but I'm actually pressed for time at the moment. Look at something like a weapon chain to give you a boost. Not hitting the boss is killing threat.
    In many cases with some of those bosses you don't particularly need to have Shield Wall in wait. If your healers are of the decent sort don't be afraid to fire off Avenging Wrath and climb that threat ladder quickly to establish yourself a big foothold.

    Stick to your guns on that rotation raise that hit some more and you should fare well. It never hurts, even with great threat, to ask your hunters or a rogue to fire off their Misdirections or Tricks of The Trade. Tanks in our guild still get them on every boss fight, and it's not treated as a "you need help" thing, it's treated as a courtesy to shove them up there on threat as far as we can, so that everyone is comfortable in shelling the boss as hard as possible. Regardless of how great their threat is.
    GL in your endeavors and feel free to send me PM's if you have some qustions.
    The most stressful, yet provides the most gratification..
    Tanking <3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    361
    Dont use Avenger's Shield (Holy Frisbee) other than for pulling. If you need a quick boost in threat use Avenging Wrath but keep in mind you can't use Bubble Wall for 30 seconds but keep in mind that the opposite helps you as well if you just used Bubble Wall use Avenging Wrath when its available, it wont hurt you at this point. Also if someone is creeping close to you make sure consecrate is down and try to Hand of Salvation him. Consecrate will generate passive threat while you target and cast your spell.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    That Place Above the USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    Dont use Avenger's Shield (Holy Frisbee) other than for pulling. If you need a quick boost in threat use Avenging Wrath but keep in mind you can't use Bubble Wall for 30 seconds but keep in mind that the opposite helps you as well if you just used Bubble Wall use Avenging Wrath when its available, it wont hurt you at this point. Also if someone is creeping close to you make sure consecrate is down and try to Hand of Salvation him. Consecrate will generate passive threat while you target and cast your spell.
    No. Just No. Do not follow the above strategy.

    Frisbee is used as a way to pull 3 mobs, and to silence casters. It's our only silence mechanic, after that it's just Hammer of Justice. Pull with exorcism if out of combat, works on all mobs, including non-undead. Since you are out of combat, the long cast time is pretty negligible. If you want, you can do Exorcism-> start running to boss->Avenger Shield->Shield of Righteous upon contact->Continue 969 rotation, if you don't have to pull multiple mobs or don't need to interrupt casting on trash.

    For single target threat, ALWAYS Shield of the Righteous first over Hammer of the Righteous in your 969 rotation. Many people mash Hammer of the Righteous first (or don't pay attention at all), but it does matter.

    Make sure you are maintaining Divine Plea up at all times. Some tanks lose aggro because they are OOM. If you find yourself losing threat and are low on mana, drop consecration out of your rotation, it's a huge mana sink (especially on single target), swap in judgement of wisdom instead of light if there are no other paladins, and that will help things. However, with proper Divine Plea usage, you should be able to consecrate to your hearts content.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    361
    thank you for repeating what i basically said insahnity. Casting Exorcism in a raid is pointless your warrior/druid would have charged in while you sit there and cast and dont bother doing that in a heroic people will call you grandpa.Also what are you talking about Hammer of Righteous is our top threat move, why would you open with our second highest? If i used Bubble Wall i lose nothing by using avenging wrath, in fact i only gain threat.
    Last edited by Hammerfists; 01-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Rominoodle View Post
    So, I'll start by saying that the title says it all. I have no problem whatsoever with trash in ICC and holding threat. As a pally, it's what I strive on, and I do damn good at it. When it gets to bosses, I find that I am being constantly tailed and in threat by a few DPS in my guild / raid. I know I should see this is a good thing that they are doing such amazing dps, but at the same token is there something I'm doing wrong? I use the 9/6/9 rotation, I always have RF on, I'll toss out my avengers shield in the rotation when it comes up, my spec is standard crusade spec for more threat, i've got the expertise...what am I missing? Armory below. (Also I do have the frost badge tanking gloves, but my account got hacked and i'm still waiting on those to be returned to me)
    What do you drop for AS? The only ability that you can drop without burning survivability nor threat is Judgment, and only if you're sure the debubff won't drop.
    The 969 doesn't change based on aoe or single target. Make sure you are doing it right, and make sure you have the proper seal up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    Also what are you talking about Hammer of Righteous is our top threat move, why would you open with our second highest? If i used Bubble Wall i lose nothing by using avenging wrath, in fact i only gain threat.
    Hammer of the Righteous is about 70% of the damage of a Shield of Righteousness against single targets. It makes sense to use ShoR instead of HotR as your first "6" move in the 969 against single targets.
    Last edited by Synapse; 01-15-2010 at 02:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts