+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice with spec/gear for dps Warrior

Advice with spec/gear for dps Warrior

hi ho fellow warriors,

I'm sorta new at the damage business, having ended up leveling and gearing up as tank, but was always aiming for that and am in love with it.

I would appreciate some advice or comments on gear and spec, since I'm heading off to raid 25m content and want to do a really good job (rather than just doing the pugging of 5m where my performance isn't *that* important.. things die so quick anyways). Basicly, am I on the right path or does something need rethinking.

Currently I'm running through heroics doing between 3.0-4.5k according to recount. I'm mostly dealing with lack of rage if we stop (I don't have any rage talents atm, am having trouble choosing what to dump for that) which I'm worried will be an issue through longer fights? Maybe I just have to learn not to spam too much heroic strike and cleave :P

I am fury, though I've been respecing between that and arms a good deal while gearing up (not getting much practice though, having always to switch to the tankspec ). Most stuff I read on forums seems to say that there isn't really a difference in output so I can be either one and be as much use?

I use Whirlwind > Bloodthirst > Slam procs, with spamming cleave/heroic strike if I have the rage. And of course execute when that is available.

Gems, gear and enchants are 'all over' sadly - I got myself to what I think is the required hit and only 3 from the expertise requirement then been getting Attack power, armor penetration and strength.

I am wondering if to buy the triumph emblem trinket with +lots in hit.. but even though the on use is really good I can't stop feeling it'd be reduntant?

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory
    Wow-Heroes profile (in case I forget to log out as dps): WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings

thank you,
    Skvísa

p.s. is there any way to make a macro that will cast slam if it is instant, else stop? can't get a /stopcasting macro to work properly with it at least
    Last edited by skisa; 01-07-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

*Cough* Alliance... hehe well you're still a fellow warrior, so I'll help you despite the fact you're on a faction side I hate. From what I can see, it looks like you have lots of gemming for expertise, hit, and just some low quality gems in general. Try going more strength, expertise is nice but you can find trinkets that make up for that and go for strength.

Your rotation seems fine but I'd suggest capping your points in Intensify Rage. Also, take some points out of Commanding Presence (I'd say about 2) and put them into Improved Berserker Rage. This eliminates being raged starved, and allows you to do BT, WW, Spam cleave or HS until Slam Procs, repeat.

Also, try replacing glyph of cleave with Heroic Strike, helps a lot. I'd also suggest putting some points in Enrage(about 2), one of my Fury warrior friends tell me it procs on certain fights and has increased his dps a good amount.

oh a deaders!

Thanks for the advice, will take it to thought (even if it's from a deader)

about Enrage - I'm guessing it works when the raid is taking aoe damage? Or does it need to target me specifically?

enrage is not worth the points to spec into, for either spec.

keep 5 points in imp commanding presence if you wont be raiding with a ret pally for imp. might. take the 3 points you have in iron will in the arms tree and put them in tactical mastery. this will let you keep 25 rage when you switch to battle stance to shattering throw and switch right back into berserker stance.

The World of Warcraft Armory

glyphs of whirlwind, heroic strike, and cleaving go great with this spec.

drop your next 60 frost badges into the expertise cloak...it will get you capped and let you replace a few expertise gems with str ones. run h forge of souls daily to get a shot at the needle encrusted scorpion. and get your t9 helm to finish the 4pc while you wait for another t10 piece.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

thank you,

We probably won't have ret pally all the time in raids - so I was asked by one of the tanks to keep the points in imp presence. Maybe when we've recruited one more pally I won't need to

Shattering throw - now I'll be a nubblette... do I use that in raid? There will always be a second warrior (as tank) so sunders are up. I can see it be good at faction champions but I've got 0 experience as a dps warrior in raid so never used it

I was considering getting the gloves from T10 next, I like the idea of the 2 set bonus, but if I don't get lucky with drops then you are right - I will need to buy the cloak first. T9 hat should be available sooner, Triumph is so easily grinded alone

I always thought that the max hit rating needed as fury is 5% (164 hit rating) (you get 3% from the Precision talent) which totals to 8% (not shown in your character screen). As for expertise you need 26 so that your attacks don't get dodged (assuming you attack from the back not the front). For fury though I think you mainly gem for Str, Crit, ArP.

Quote Originally Posted by skisa
    Shattering throw - now I'll be a nubblette... do I use that in raid? There will always be a second warrior (as tank) so sunders are up. I can see it be good at faction champions but I've got 0 experience as a dps warrior in raid so never used it
    shattering throw is a raid dps increase to everyone who benefits from arp. you need 5 sunders, faerie fire, and shattering throw up to bring a boss down to his lowest armor value before your personal armor penetration is figured into it all.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

oh so it stacks! silly me. so that's why they want me around Guess I better make a macro for the changing.

I will do a bit of reform for my spec and gems tonight, my first trial is tomorrow (wish me luck ) and I hope it's ok if I poke again with how I did there and what can be improved from there.

<bounce>

Did some 5.5 damage in that 25m raid, which is more than Rawr said I could do so I guess it ain't bad (though not super either <.<).

Now,

Changed my spec a bit. Think I am fairly happy with it. No points in precision because I have plenty of hit on my gear even when I've gemmed it away. Does it look ok?

Got a new hat, for the 4set bonus

Am now looking into regemming and think I'll focus on strength rather than armor penetration. My question though would be (for the yellow slot gems) :

Crit vs haste?

I'm inclined to choose crit rather than haste put please advice
    Last edited by skisa; 01-15-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread