+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question regarding hard hitting melee bosses

Question regarding hard hitting melee bosses

So here's the deal, ive got a few tank sets, being them effective health, avoidance, threat and most recently, max armor.

I recently restarted to raid with my warrior as tank since bc, plenty of stuff has changed and ive been lurking these forums for a while to gather some info on how to maximize my gameplay, but as im not really good with numbers and can only understand to a certain point, there were plenty of threads that i wish i had understood better, but thats why im asking here for help.

Ok so as i started to gear up in pugs all i cared about was stacking stamina obviously since thats the first thing a clueless pug raid leader wants to know about. But since i got a guild and started to raid ICC25 ive been feeling too squishy compared to the other tanks. Despite my gearscore or decent ammount of hp, i still have alot of trouble on "hard" hitting bosses like marrowgar even just stacking on the other tanks and specially on Festergut, wich really hurts and there are points where he can even 2shot me, hitting for 33k. I have 53k hp fully raid buffed/flasked/food with my common set, wich was basicly stacking as much stamina as i could, but then i started thinking in another direction, since our avoidance is severely halved due to the "icecrown radiance" maybe if i had a bit more armor i could have more chances surviving, and so i started to get my armor pieces together and farming some more here and there.

So, for these heavy melee bosses what i would really like to know is, wich set should i pick:

Unbuffed stats of Health set:

41016HP
    547 defence
    24.35% dodge
    24.03% parry
    25238 armor

Trinkets: Corroded skeleton key / Black heart

Unbuffed stats of Armor set:

39376HP
    541 defence
    24.17% dodge
    23.19% parry
    28528 armor

Trinkets: Glyph of indomitability / Corroded skeleton key

I also understand that black heart proc is very tasty, but wont that drop my HP into critical levels? is it worth trading the CSK for the BH considering my current hp level? Is it worth using this "armor set" over the health set?

Help much appreciated.
    Best regards.

PS: im a warrior, forgot to add that

For Icecrown almost every time depending on your gear level, CD use and healer skill and gear level you will end up dying because of a lack of EH, but I won't get into that since there are already very many threads on that.

In pure EH which is designed for pure physical damage the armor set is better overall with about a 4-5k increase in EH. But you have to consider the Black Heart's proc even though it does add quite a bit of EH but doesn't have enough to make up for the losses and it relys on randomness while in the armor set you have the Glyph of Indom's great on use.

For your pure EH armor set the CSK would be a better choice than the Black Heart since if you include the Black Heart's proc which relys on randomness it still has more EH. I would use the second set for all bosses besides Festergut and Putricide since they are the only ICC bosses at the moment that devalue the armor through enough magic damage to make the stamina set worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    I would use the second set for all bosses besides Festergut and Putricide since they are the only ICC bosses at the moment that devalue the armor through enough magic damage to make the stamina set worth it.
    I agree with the other things you said, but my experience on these bosses doesn't support this statement.

Festergut does do a lot of magic damage, but the timing is such that when the spell damage on the raid is high, the physical damage on the tank is very light. Then when he is putting out his massive melee damage on the tank and EH really comes into play, the spell damage is negligible.

On Putricide, the MT at least takes very little spell damage. Even in phase 3 where the raid damage is ramping up, the tanks don't take damage from their own debuffs so they are taking the least amount of spell damage out of everyone even while the professor's physical damage is ramping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    I agree with the other things you said, but my experience on these bosses doesn't support this statement.

Festergut does do a lot of magic damage, but the timing is such that when the spell damage on the raid is high, the physical damage on the tank is very light. Then when he is putting out his massive melee damage on the tank and EH really comes into play, the spell damage is negligible.

On Putricide, the MT at least takes very little spell damage. Even in phase 3 where the raid damage is ramping up, the tanks don't take damage from their own debuffs so they are taking the least amount of spell damage out of everyone even while the professor's physical damage is ramping up.
    ^ I agree with these statements.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

For Festergut though aren't the majority of tank deaths swings at 2 stacks with a little bit of damage from Gasoues Bloat in there devaluing the value of armor relative to stamina slightly?

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    For Festergut though aren't the majority of tank deaths swings at 2 stacks with a little bit of damage from Gasoues Bloat in there devaluing the value of armor relative to stamina slightly?
    It's marginal at best, festergut's physical damage is the real tank killer. With 2 stacks he hit me for 100k in 5 seconds (and I lived). Within 1 second he hit me for 24k followed by 27k (within that 5 second parcel of time). Armor is amazing here. Granted I still would have survived if I had stacked equivalent EH in stamina too, but that would have been difficult given my gear setups. The amount of physical damage he does is just absurd. My point is that gaseous bloat is just inconsequential compared to his physical damage.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread