+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to help out your tank...

How to help out your tank...

On the recent numerous post about Arms warriors usually being a pain for tanks due to aggro etc.
    I started thinking about what i an all other DPS can do to help our tanks.

From an arms warrior point of view i try to :

Obviously wait for tank to gain aggro....a simple 1 but alot of people forget :P

Charge a Mob that is casting to interupt

Mortal Strike any Healing Mob

Charge any mobs that healer or any other clothies have aggroed to stop them gettin 2 shotted.

Any other suggestion for Warriors or any other class feel free to post em up

Tanks can be control freaks, so you have to make sure, first, that they are aware of what you are doing.
    Death Knights are more than welcome death gripping mobs that insist being at range, for example.

There are a lot of things the dps can do to help out there tanks. First thing to do is turn off that damn damage meter. DPS has a really bad desire to be at the top of the meter and they forget that they have many other tools that help out the tank as well as the healers.

Rogues...go ahead and stop dps'ing and go over and kick the living hell out of that caster and force him to run up to the tank.

Retadin's, you have a good stun you can use on that caster as well, and do us all a favor and get decursive, and help out with cleansing.

Mages and DK's...you can silence casters too, its ok to do so, I promise.

Boomkin...your the only other ones that can remove curses, so please do so. Some of those curses are killers

These are just a few examples of ways to help your tank, and really, the entire raid overall. We all have a pretty good arsenal of tools at our disposal, so lets make the most of them.

Tanked Jaraxxus yesterday I since my Mind Freeze is so nicely timed with his cast of Fel fireball I usually do the interrupting myself. Checked recount after the fight and to my big suprise the only other interruptor in that fight (with the same number of interrupts as me) was one of the top DPSers, a DK. Prob wasnt neccesary but still very nice that he felt he could do that and not have his numbers suffer.

Which brings me to interrupts, please help out with them. I know Grannos mentioned DKs silencing but interrupting is also a very big help in some fights like the trash in the begining of ICC. There is no need to have those icy bolts hitting the raid all the time when the majority can be interrupted. All dps with an interrupt ability should have it bound to an easy to find key and use it as often as possible whenever they see a spell beeing cast I think.

Interrupts are off the GCD, anyone with one should help out IMO, it's always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    Interrupts are off the GCD, anyone with one should help out IMO, it's always welcome.
    So many dont seem to know what it is or not even have it bound. At least that is what my logs tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Tanks can be control freaks, so you have to make sure, first, that they are aware of what you are doing.
    Death Knights are more than welcome death gripping mobs that insist being at range, for example.
    I always thank the DKs that show smart use of Death Grip to help me. Also hunters and rogues who make good use of MD and tricks to assist me get a thank you. Making my job easier makes the instance go faster. Only the idiots say "That cuts my DPS time, so I don't do it."

Can I tank the instance w/o that help? Sure, but I'm happy to see teamwork unasked for from any group member.

Anytime I play my DK or Mage alt, I always try to interupt casters that are giving my tank trouble. Of course it does annoy me when I see Warrior tanks who don't know how to tank multiple casters with heroic throw and shield bash...

Like others have mentioned, a DG into an AoE pile is great, as long as they switch to another target quickly, interrupts that move a caster to an AoE pile are also appreciated. I'm not a huge fan of warriors charging in and stunning any mob that I'm just engaging, it's not necessary in any situation that I can think of off hand.

Also, AotD is rarely needed, so use it rarely. I think ToC Black Knight, phase 2 is a good place for it.

+ Reply to Thread