+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back to WoW and looking to raid.

Back to WoW and looking to raid.

Hello all,

This may be kind of lengthy but I wanted to share alittle history with you while asking for your advice, information, and/or opinion.

I been playing WoW off and on for about 3 years now. I never really raided much until Wrath came out. I've always loved raiding and wanted to get into a serious progressing guild but never had such luck of finding one. I recently came back to WoW after about a 6 month break and I'm wanting to find myself a serious raiding guild. I know I'm not going to be able to jump right into a very successful and far progressed guild but I'd like one that is at least moving along steadily and takes raiding serious.

Here's what I'm looking for advice on. What steps should I take to find such a guild? I only want to dps, which I know is hard to find a spot for since dps is a dime a dozen. I don't have very much raiding experience which makes it difficult as well. Plus it's hard to find a guild that is serious and looking for an addtional member. I've tried and failed, was in 2 guilds during Wrath before I quit and the furthest we got was Malygos 25man. Granted there wasn't much more then that at the time, but we constantly struggled to down in, sometimes going a whole raid night, if not raid week, without downing him.

I currently have 3 80s, Druid, Paladin, and Hunter, also a 73 Rogue and 75 Death knight. Before I quit my Paladin was the main, but I'm not exactly sure what I want to keep as my main at the moment.

Hmm, well I'm sure that was alot to read, and if you read it all, thanks. So in short, could you please share your experiences, advice, and information on what steps I should take to find a serious raiding guild, and also if you have any opinions on what class out of what I listed to be a main, feel free to add that as well. Please keep in mind I am aimming to do dps, though I do have experience as a prot paladin.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to reading any and all replies.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f92/3...any-guild.html is a must-read for you I think.

If you are truly serious about it, it might not be as hard as you might think to get accepted, good and competent DPS is very much needed nowadays.
    I personally recommend hunter, they are an allaround good class with very good potential if you take the time to read up on and gear them (/hint Warcraft Hunters Union). Then again this really goes for any class.

My suggestion is to first define to yourself exactly what kind of guild you are looking for, do you want to raid 10mans/25mans/both, what times can you commit yourself to raiding that would fit the guild's schedule, etc etc. Then hit up your server's realm forums and start looking around for recruit threads, check out guild sites/progress/armory. Talk to the officers ingame, you have nothing to lose and often a quick chat will tell you more than any "Guild Application Form".
    Most importantly, stick to the class you decide to make your main, make sure it will be the class you love to play and be dedicated to it, no guild takes it happily if people change their minds about their class every 2 months.
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

Any serious raiding guild would take issue with your "off and on" playing of WoW.

If you simply want to do the normal 10/25mans then I'd suggest you pick your future main and run the instances until you have the best gear you can get before you start raiding. For some classes a lot has happened in the last 6 monts. This should get you some practice.

Watch trade channel, realm forums and apply to whatever fits your needs. You will just have to be sure what you actually want. If you want to go with the cutting edge(i.e. harmodes of new content) then you might find the barrier of entrance being rather steep. Guilds who do that demand a high level of commitment. I've been there and I have to say trailing behind, taking stuff at your own pace and and having your first kills only after a couple of encounter nerfs is quite a pleasant approach and can be done casually.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Reroll on a large, established server with a healthy raiding population.

Level up a prot pally.

Tank PuG raids.

Get invited to a guild because "you're an amazing tank," which has more to do with your class than anything else.

Profit.

(Note: This strategy is becoming highly popular so you might want to hurry.)

Aside from how utterly silly that comment is, he's looking to DPS, not tank.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Honestly, DPS that know their class and can really lay down the maximum DPS from their gear are very, very rare.

It's not often stated, but being top shelf DPS is just as hard as being a top shelf healer or tank...it's just that good tanks and healers can (and frequently do) pull average or even sub-par DPS through content. So my advice to you is to spend a couple days reading up everything you can on your class (here, elitist jerks, random google pages, etc) and once you know how to spec, what your rotation is, and what stats to value over others, spend a week or two gearing up in heroics (that is, getting frost and triumph emblems and the occasional drop in the ICC and ToC 5 mans) and know what you're doing. Also, pug into T9 raids. If you do this well then by the time February rolls around you'll be doing awesome DPS for your gear level, no matter what that level is. At that point you'll be ready to app to a guild...although if you look awesome in random heroics or raid pugs you may find yourself with invites before you need to app.

So in short, spend a little time to get really good at what you do, and then you'll be in a good position to work your way into a good raiding guild. Good luck!

It's easier to pug a raid as DPS/Healer than as a tank. On my server anyways.
    Most PUGs start with a pair of tanks and fill up the raid with whatever they can get in the trade channel(+/- reputation and gear score). And it takes a lot less tanks to raid than to do 5mans.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

EU or US ?

Hunters are doing some fine dps and are very useful in raids. The rotations are not hard to pick up and you can stay out of most trouble so i would probably focus on getting the hunter sorted first.

Get the best gear you can from the new 5man heroics and try and find a pugging tank or healer to queue with for daily heroics.

Once you have the t9 base set and the new items from PoS, HoR and FoS (the new 5mans) then look for a raiding guild.

I think you will find that progression guilds will be raiding 4-5 times (if not 7 !) a week whilst casual end game guilds hit 25man probably only twice a week.

Joining a high population server may help but i find the guilds on these servers are also over populated and in some cases arrogant and as such your raiding history and gear score will go against your skill, ability and desire.

Low population servers do have good guilds and have some really nice people.

I play on Lightnings Blade EU - yep the one with Paragon (H) -- and i have chars on both horde and alliance.

I found the alliance population to be low but the guilds are still at the cutting edge of progression (albeit less of them) and some good casual end game raiding guilds, whilst the horde side is probably over populated i found it extremely difficult to find a decent guild, they could alomost afford to be picky if that makes sense.

Have a day of trawling the WOW Realm Forums and have a look at some guild progression websites to see which may suit you more then try and track down their forum web sites and make an aplication, usually the discussion about your application will give you a good heads up as to whether or not the guild is a good one.

And of course if you are on EU i can recommend alliance on LB ....good luck.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I enjoyed reading most of them. Alot of you made some good points. Also, someone asked USor EU. I'm on US Windrunner realm, alliance side.

Quote Originally Posted by Norrath View Post
    Aside from how utterly silly that comment is, he's looking to DPS, not tank.
    Eh you can easily surpass 3k dps raid-tanking as a prot pally.

But in-case you hadn't noticed the post was a joke.

+ Reply to Thread