+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I drop Icy Talons from my frost tank spec?

Should I drop Icy Talons from my frost tank spec?

My question is simple. More and more I've been realizing that the 20% melee haste is a pretty crappy buff as it is, not to mention having a shaman in the raid or group pretty much makes it unneeded. I'm tanking 10 and 25 ICC right now as a frost Death Knight (try to hold back your laughs). I am thinking about changing my tank spec to no longer include Icy Talons/Improved Icy Talons.
    My new spec would mostly likely be as follows:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I'm interested in the opinions of others as to whether or not this is a good idea.

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't look too bad, but I would change the glyphs.
    Also get rid of Glyph of Unbreakable Armor, you want Rune Strike or Frost Strike instead.
    Glyph of Howling Blast is debatable.

Personally I like to use Icy Touch, Obliterate and Frost Strike for my Glyphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Doesn't look too bad, but I would change the glyphs.
    Also get rid of Glyph of Unbreakable Armor, you want Rune Strike or Frost Strike instead.
    Glyph of Howling Blast is debatable.

Personally I like to use Icy Touch, Obliterate and Frost Strike for my Glyphs.
    Glyph of Howling Blast is pretty much indispensible for me, as I play a single-disease rotation, so Howling Blast is basically my de facto disease application (except in AoE-sensitive encounters like Saurfang).

I must say that I'm surprised to hear you advise me to get rid of the Unbreakable Armor glyph. Seeing as how DK's are by far the worst tanks in terms of mitigation, I would think UA glyph would almost be a necessity (unless you hit armor reduction cap without it - which I don't yet).

Anyway, my original question was if I should drop Icy Talons/Imp. Icy Talons because it is unneeded.

I guess my question is: Do most frost DK tanks bother with Icy Talons?

I don't. That's a lot of points into something that doesn't benefit me. Further, I already bring utility to the raid by being the tank :P

if youre going for a 2h spec anyway, not taking IIT (Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft) is nerfing your raid utility unless you have an enhance shaman in each of your 10 and 25 man raids.

for DW melee classes, the buff is a substancial dps increase.especially lol furry warriors.

With a DK tank myself, although DW (its better), i find that i dont have threat problems in raids. thus, buffing my raids DPS seems like a good idea over talents like acclimation, death chill and icy reach. if you do decide to go DW though its a bigger loss to get it (you actually have to sacrifice good talents), but IMO still worth it if you arent having TPS issues.

to progress through the coming content you will be forced to think about raid dps instead of just personal dps. and when your a tank, your dps is negligible.

My Frost spec is primarily for heroic trash aoe tanking, but I'm going to change a few things around for saurfang and festergut this week. My spec will be similar to yours, with Glyphs of RS, OB and UBA.

I know a lot of people suggest not taking UBA glyph but I still feel it's a strong mitigation CD for physical-damage fights.

As to why I don't advocate Glyph of Unbreakable Armor, most other Frost Tanks that I know, don't use it.
    To me the armor gain is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    if youre going for a 2h spec anyway, not taking IIT (Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft) is nerfing your raid utility unless you have an enhance shaman in each of your 10 and 25 man raids.

for DW melee classes, the buff is a substancial dps increase.especially lol furry warriors.

With a DK tank myself, although DW (its better), i find that i dont have threat problems in raids. thus, buffing my raids DPS seems like a good idea over talents like acclimation, death chill and icy reach. if you do decide to go DW though its a bigger loss to get it (you actually have to sacrifice good talents), but IMO still worth it if you arent having TPS issues.

to progress through the coming content you will be forced to think about raid dps instead of just personal dps. and when your a tank, your dps is negligible.
    I'm curious as to why you say dual wield frost is better. It was my understanding that dual wield frost and 2H frost are pretty much equal in terms of tanking ability.

IIT from a tank is an added bonus in a typical 25-man raiding where a dps class can bring a similar buff.
    If you are running 10-man content *and* are melee-heavy *and* no other class can bring the melee haste buff, then yes, IIT is somewhat mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDean636 View Post
    I guess my question is: Do most frost DK tanks bother with Icy Talons?
    No, don't bother. If you don't have a shamman w/ Windfury totem, recruit one. You'll need Bloodlust/Heroism anyway.

Haste is the least useful stat for tanks anyway, we want slower bigger hits that cause less parry-haste (parry-gibs no longer an issue, but parry-haste still exists).

With my 2H Frost Tank build I had Improved Icy Talons.
    With my DW Frost Tank build, I don't because I don't want to lose other things to get it.

+ Reply to Thread