+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tank DPS Graphs for all ICC Fights

I've emailed WoL to see if they can get me the data.

It's not simple to get the DK data. If we get it from another site, the data isnt as meaningful as diff sites compute things diff ways and you can't compare.

I'm looking at what might be needed, i dont want to have to manually compile 120 Top results out of thousands.

I'm just noting that, for a matter that caused such an uproar due to warrior figures, it seems we forgot there was an entire missing class.

Not that our standing on this graph means a whole lot to me, but i'm fairly amused we're that much of an after-thought even after a year of tanking.

we didnt forget, the data is not available.

it's not about after thought, it's the fact that you have 3 tree's, any of which can be DPs or Tanking, so WoL doesnt split them out.

Oh no, I don't mean to accuse you, but the fact it is difficult to diffirentiate between the dks (by role) on logs is sad.

I'm not attacking your graph, or the conclusions. I'm just noting the personal comic value I got from the situation. Sorry if it looked accusatory.

no problem

I'd really love to get DK's on there, hopefully someone from WoL will respond to my email.

I might be saying something stupid, but would it not be possible to sort out the tanking DK's by correlating the data to damage taken per fight?

possibly, but it's not going to be reliable.

my best bet i think is to work out a spell or ability all DK Tanks will have/use that DPS DK's will not. Even one per spec would work.

the sucky part then is that I need to look at the Top DPS chart for a fight, click on each entr to look at their data. If they qualify as a tank, copy their DPS to my new list.

continue to do this until I have 120 entries, for each spec, for each fight.

literally thousands of entries to comb through. Just not going to happen.

so I am hoping someone from WoL either reads this, or answers my email to help me pull that data, i expect that data could be pulled realitvely easily from their backend, or put up on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    my best bet i think is to work out a spell or ability all DK Tanks will have/use that DPS DK's will not. Even one per spec would work.
    Rune Strike. Make it meaningful by making a 2% of total dmg cap or something (in case someone forgot to un-macro RS as DPS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    possibly, but it's not going to be reliable.

the sucky part then is that I need to look at the Top DPS chart for a fight, click on each entr to look at their data. If they qualify as a tank, copy their DPS to my new list.

continue to do this until I have 120 entries, for each spec, for each fight.

literally thousands of entries to comb through. Just not going to happen.

so I am hoping someone from WoL either reads this, or answers my email to help me pull that data, i expect that data could be pulled realitvely easily from their backend, or put up on their site.
    Can you go by buffs?

Maybe get a DK that's in frost presence?

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    Can you go by buffs?

Maybe get a DK that's in frost presence?
    I'm not in fp somtimes though. Festergut has be in BP while not tanking both for dps and so I don't pull aggro while the second tank builds stacks.

I'd say the best way to tell is rune-strike, but even then you've got some encounters where RS procs will be low.

The way you could see it as for DK's I would think is two ways when it comes to the WoL reporting.

1. The amount of dmg taken from the boss in relationship to the raid.

2. The amount of dmg the boss does to its targets.

The idea around all DK's can tank maybe true but the boss can tell who is tanking. When the boss hits a target for above a set % one would think that it is being tanked by that person(s). When you see damage taken on 2-3 targets is double or higher those are the ones tanking the encounter not the dk's taking the normal raid dmg. All i know is WoL is still in the phase of getting all the information they want out of the meters. Give them time and they will soon be able to show it to us.

working out which DK is tanking isnt really a problem

the problem is sorting through thousands of DK entries to find the top 120 DPS per boss.

monumental task.

Blizzchat is going on, I added this --> Twitter / zate: @Warcraft #BlizzChat Why i ...

Wench you're awesome. Hope you get an answer.

I got a reply from the guys at WoL detailing how they pick each DK spec. They basically look for a certain amount of say, HB and FS usage would be a Frost DK. I am asking if he could find/pull me some data with say a Frost Tank being FS/HB and RS.

sound fair?

You have to be avoiding direct attacks on you use rune strike, so I'd say anything more than a few uses of rune strike will clearly indicate a tank. If you wanted to break it down into the different specs, you'd have to look for signature abilities. e.g. scourge strike = unholy, howling blast = frost, heart strike = blood. Since you can't use those abilities unless you have specced fairly deep into the trees, frequency of using them isn't that significant... ie. if they can do a scourge strike they must be unholy spec at the time.

Well it depends if you really want to break apart the 3 different specs of DKs.
    If you don't, it's purely RS usage, if not, add HB, HS & SS to them.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the 3 specs pulled apart, see what differences there are in a single class. But even so, think it's fair to assume that all tanks have RS damage above say ... 30% melee damage?

TBH the majority of the remaining dk tank population (at the higher end of progression) is still running a blood spec. I wouldn't say frost is irrelavent, but if we're gunning for a general picture of dps @ dk tanks, blood is a safer bet.

Perhaps Frost is better at DPS?

if the purpose of the thread is an across the board tank comparison, no need to waste time refining the specifics of one single class, just going by high RS frequency to sort the tanks out and go to town

+ Reply to Thread