+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anticipation vs Toughness (or cookie cutter buildS)

Anticipation vs Toughness (or cookie cutter buildS)

Which one is better?
    I'm currently PRE-80, but I know if I "play" I'll be 80 in max a day or so. I'm wondering if Toughness (10% armor bonus) or Anticipation (5% dodge) is the best option now and in the future.

I'm a NE (if that makes a diff on answers), my def is currently 518, 42% avoidance (15% of which is block [738]). I'm 79, focusing on PvE; I've looked at several specs (both on forums and in PvP BGs [which I know aren't the best to look at for ideal PvE specs]) and see the vast majority speccing for Toughness.

I honestly can't see Toughness being near as good as Anticipation; I'm keeping up fairly well I think with gear for spike damage (20k+ hp self-buffed) and the bonus I get with toughness over anticipation isn't that significant to straight up lose 5% physical avoidance.

Is this correct? If it is (and stress on the ''if''), should I continue with Avoidance or should I be getting toughness at a certain armor number?

I'm asking if there's a ''gearing up to be full protection all the time warrior'' sepc (which changes when you start getting gear, AND at which point [give mile-stone markers, block/avoidance/health etc.) or do you go straight for a cookie cutter spec (which there's only a few majority-approved answers [and... which ones currently {sorry google has waaaaay out dated answers when it comes to WoW; I probably just don't know how to search lol}]).

As a tank you want both of those talents maxed, they're 2 of the best talents you could have as a tank. 5% more dodge for well....dodging and the more armor you have, the more physical damage you're able to mitigate.

Both are vital stats and need to be maxed.

As for a cookie cutter spec, here's mine I use, it's pretty much the standard with a few points being alternated here and there to fit personal preference of the player.

The World of Warcraft Armory - Dekar @ Shattered Hand - Talents

Quote Originally Posted by Goterenas View Post
    Which one is better?
    I'm currently PRE-80, but I know if I "play" I'll be 80 in max a day or so. I'm wondering if Toughness (10% armor bonus) or Anticipation (5% dodge) is the best option now and in the future.

I'm a NE (if that makes a diff on answers), my def is currently 518, 42% avoidance (15% of which is block [738]). I'm 79, focusing on PvE; I've looked at several specs (both on forums and in PvP BGs [which I know aren't the best to look at for ideal PvE specs]) and see the vast majority speccing for Toughness.
    You should have been asking this question when you were like.. level 40.

At 79, the answer is max BOTH, not either-or. Without any question. If you don't max both anticipation and toughness, there's no point in you tanking. It sounds like you googled little snipets of information without understanding the reasoning behind it, and it's dangerous. Certain skills are considered mandatory for any build (not just warriors.. ALL TANKS), and those two right there are present in every tank tree in some form or another. In fact, for DKs, those two are the only two mandatory skills common to all tanks.

Taking Dekar's build as an example, a fine 15/3/53, if you had to pick between saving that last point between armored to the teeth or deep wounds, that's a different story. But to be honest, my warrior had her spec set at 60 and just filled towards my final spec from that point onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    You should have been asking this question when you were like.. level 40.

At 79, the answer is max BOTH, not either-or. Without any question. If you don't max both anticipation and toughness, there's no point in you tanking. It sounds like you googled little snipets of information without understanding the reasoning behind it, and it's dangerous. Certain skills are considered mandatory for any build (not just warriors.. ALL TANKS), and those two right there are present in every tank tree in some form or another. In fact, for DKs, those two are the only two mandatory skills common to all tanks.

Taking Dekar's build as an example, a fine 15/3/53, if you had to pick between saving that last point between armored to the teeth or deep wounds, that's a different story. But to be honest, my warrior had her spec set at 60 and just filled towards my final spec from that point onwards.
    Two of four. Everything you say is correct except for the "zomgobligatory" talents.

Every tank has access to Three Basic Powers: 5% avoidance, 10% armor and 20% attack speed reduction.
    Aditionally, paladins and warriors can make the zomgAP debuff, dks get another 8% damage reduction(blade barrier) or whatever like that, and druids... I have no idea what druids get. They're too creepy to chat with
    Paladins and warriors have both 5% dodge and 5% parry? I never know >.>
    Last edited by Synapse; 01-15-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Take that day you were going to spend leveling, and put it off. I think you'd be better served to use that time studying.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...nce-guide.html
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/6...light=aggathon
    Evil Empire Guides - TankSpot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Take that day you were going to spend leveling, and put it off. I think you'd be better served to use that time studying.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...nce-guide.html
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/6...light=aggathon
    Evil Empire Guides - TankSpot

These guides really are important information to know for anyone who is considering a protection spec. The Evil Empire guides can get reasonably complex and "mathy" if you don't want to jump in too fast. If you want something simpler but good to start out with, try Agg's Prot guide first.

+ Reply to Thread